Love and Sword (1979)

Guest venom10463

Guest venom10463

Does anyone have the bci version? I wanna know if its just my copy the eng dub is out of sync. Who ever did the audio editing must have been in a hurry to send this piece of crap job out.

Guest morgoth

I have heard the UK and US versions are sometimes different for rarescope. Which one do you have? I will be getting this movie as soon as I can to let you know if I had a problem, for the Us version.

Guest Vorvadoss

Hrmm anyone buy the UK ones? Are they better then the US versions? And are there differant releases from Rarescope UK that haven't been released for the US?

Guest venom10463
didn't the US lost swordship lack an english dub? or did they fix and replace the disks?

Yeah, they sent out replacement dvds with the eng dub track on them.

Guest morgoth

Hey Ivy- I haven't seen Love and sword, but that is Roc Tien Peng on the cover of it.

And I think you are the one that said that Pearl sings the songs in Elimination Pursuit. She is great in the movie but if that her singing, she has a very beautiful voice. Awesome soundtrack during the whole movie too.

Guest morgoth

I have not had the chance to see Love and Sword. I heard on here someone said it is better than Elimination. I still have to see Love and Sword and Duel at the Supreme Gate.

And I am extremely mad at amazon because I can't edit my review and the title doesn't look right cause I made a typo. Glad to see you liked it though. People don't really give many helpful votes on kung fu movies so I am guessing that is you.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Hi Morgoth

That was me voting in favour of your review as it is a good and helpful one.

Regarding Love & Sword, there is an image of a child on the Taiwanese DVD cover that turned me off the movie. Such a character can be cloying and annoying.

Guest peringaten

Just watched this flick... pure class, a fine Gu Long adaptation - better than most of Chor Yuan's I thought. Benefited from some wonderful locations and cinematography. Some great imagery in there, fine lighting (even if the print doesn't accentuate it to the fullest, it still comes across very nicely) and they really work those cameras; a lot of real nice tracking shots going on. A familiar, but very well used choral and orchestral score added much to the atmosphere.

Quite a sombre film, with a fine twist in the tail... I lost the thread a little in the middle (chiefly because I was a little tired when I stuck it on last night and it gets a little fantastical at one point), but it's not too complex and kept me engrossed throughout. Benefited from some fine performances - the characters were intriguing and quite 3-dimensional.

So far as the kid goes, I thought he was very good actually - played it very well, and used finely, didn't find him cloying at all - in fact if anything, and I'll avoid saying too much for fear of spoilers, his character was used very nicely - integral, and gave much to ponder in light of the film's themes... the nature of chivalry and the swordsman's life as seen through naive eyes.

I'd say the only let down was the choreo - not bad, but nothing special, however all the other elements in play along with it kept it ticking along nicely and heightened it now and again.

A wonderful film, more than worthy of anyone's time, genre fan or not I'd say... I'll definitely be giving it another spin in the near future.

A nice surprise, that I shouldn't have sat on for so long thinking it would just be passable, it definitely surpassed that.

yes i just got this movie. the movie itself is not bad--BUT the english dub is way out of sync--almost unbearable. because its so lousy i,ll only be watching this movie once. its so bad it reminds me of some of those redsun movies where they put the english dub over the celestial print but for some reason can,t line it up right. also the voice actors are not the usual old time crew that did most of the dubbing back then--they seem to be lacking in emotion--sounds at some points like thier just reading it--not acting it out. BIG DISAPPOINTMENT-- this was my first rarescope and i,ll have to rethink any future purchases.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

If I purchase this DVD not for the English dub, are the subtitles readable?

Peringaten, thanks for clarifying that the kid was not annoying in the film.

I have received my Face Behind The Mask DVD and the quality is not good. But I am glad to have this movie in the correct aspect ratio.

I have postponed buying Rebellious Reign on Vengeance DVD simply because Rarescope may release it in the original language and the correct aspect ratio. Does anyone think this will happen anytime soon?