Private Eye (2009)

tdb

dir. Dae-Min Park

Jeong-min Hwang is Jin-Ho Hong, an ex-police officer making ends meet in Seoul by finding missing persons and cheating spouses. He is approached by a medical student, Gwang Su (Ryu Deok-Hwan), who has a problem decomposing in his basement lab; the body of the son of a high ranking official that he found in a field and retrieved to study. They team up to find the murderer and open a can of worms that threatens to overwhelm them.

There's a touch of Bond and a dash of hard-boiled detective, but not noir, more like CHINA TOWN. Also, a dollop of Sherlock Holmes in the relationship between Jin-Ho Hong and Gwang Su; if you're a Holmes buff you'll appreciate the ending. The murder is, of course, just the tip of the iceberg. The period setting is a change of pace from contemporary Korean suspense/thrillers like THE CHASER with period details looking pretty good, but I'm no expert, so I couldn't say just how authentic. It looked like the mid/late Twenties or early Thirties. There's some action, but this is primarily mystery/suspense book-ended with a good chase (rickshaw!) near the beginning and a nice fight near the end.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really enjoyed this. Starts quite light and gets darker. Great performance from Hwang Jung Min as usual.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Been looking for this movie for sometime now since I saw it at Fantastic Fest in Austin,Tx think it was 2009 when I last saw it... Phenomenal performance by the main lead... Does anybody know where to get a copy??

Been looking for this movie for sometime now since I saw it at Fantastic Fest in Austin,Tx think it was 2009 when I last saw it... Phenomenal performance by the main lead... Does anybody know where to get a copy??

FF09 is where I saw it. We might have been in the same audience.

OpiumKungFuCracker
FF09 is where I saw it. We might have been in the same audience.

Hahahha maybe.. Are you gonna go to this year's fest??? They have this new event called Fantastic Arcade, it's gonna be a video game galore!!!!

Yup, already got a regular badge; hoping to upgrade to a VIP badge.

FF Badge holders are supposed to have access to the Fantastic Arcade. Fantastic Arcade badge holders have preference though.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Yup, already got a regular badge; hoping to upgrade to a VIP badge.

FF Badge holders are supposed to have access to the Fantastic Arcade. Fantastic Arcade badge holders have preference though.

So is it best to just stick to the FF badge or get the badge and Arcade badge.. On the website it said that arcade badge gets priority access??? I'm confuse on what that means??

So is it best to just stick to the FF badge or get the badge and Arcade badge.. On the website it said that arcade badge gets priority access??? I'm confuse on what that means??

I think in practical terms it means FA badge holders get into the Highball before FF badge holders when the FA opens in the morning. That and FA badges get first dibs at any special FA events, etc...

I don't usually have a lot of down time during FF, so I'm not particularly worried or anything. I suspect this is just another way to get more warm bodies into the Highball.

Archived