The Victim - Fortune Star Question

Guest HANZOSTEEL

Guest HANZOSTEEL

Probably like everyone else ive seen the films that fortune star has remastered of sammo hung.

They seem to be the only ones re-mastering the sammo hung golden harvest films.

Question

1) Is the Victim a Golden Harvest film? How come.. nobody has remastered ''the victim'' yet and

if Fortune Star cannot or does not have the rights then who is most likely to be able to do it.

I see that the film there are a number of films they have remastered

Question

2) Iron fisted monk, magnificent butcher, spooky encounters, warriors two, prodigal son, knockabout

(which im happy to own all of)

Why not,

other films like Eternal Conflict, Enter The Fat Dragon (less likely...), Shaolin Traitorous,

Dragon Forever, Dirty Tiger Cray Frog... The Incredible Kung Fu Master etc... The Victim

Thank you

Guest Markgway

1) Is the Victim a Golden Harvest film?

No.

How come.. nobody has remastered ''the victim'' yet and

if Fortune Star cannot or does not have the rights then who is most likely to be able to do it.

Produced by Graffon Films.

Rights? No idea.

2) Why not, other films like Eternal Conflict, Enter The Fat Dragon (less likely...), Shaolin Traitorous, Dragon Forever, Dirty Tiger Cray Frog... The Incredible Kung Fu Master etc...

Dance of Death was, I think, produced by Central (Taiwan).

Enter the Fat Dragon by Fong Ming (HK).

The Traitorous by Fortuna (HK)

Dragons Forever is already out from Joy Sales in HK, HKL in the UK (UK is best).

Dirty Tiger Crazy Frog by either Garbo (HK) or one of Sammo's companies with Karl Maka and Dean Shek. Owned by Mei Ah.

The Kung Fu Master by First Films (HK). They would still hold the rights I guess.

Linn is probably the best at answering thse types of queries...

Guest monk sante

I also heard that the Victim was a Golden Harvest production.......the question has also come to my mind as to why this flick hasn't been remastered.8)

Guest HANZOSTEEL

There was a rumor on Monkeypeaches.com that The Victim was going to be released be fortune

star. Probably just a rumor and will never happen.

So it looks as if there is nothing going to happen with this film. The print in circulation is not even

far off from being re-storable. It's a pretty good quality. I would like to have seen it remastered

properly and given it's credit.

Maybe some company will see this and look into it.

For now could someone point me to what copy is best, or how many copies are currently c

circulation and which one is the best out of all of them. Thanks Markgway

is that Fortune Star WAS looking into getting the rights for this film, but they had some problems. This was a while ago, so I'm not sure where they stand now. The UK release is actually not very good. It's cropped at the bottom to something like 1:85 widescree, been a while since I've seen it. Crash Cinema a few years ago had a print of this that had film damage in the final reel. At one point, I and a few others were set to do commentaries and the like for a "Crash Classics" line. I was set to do commentaries for The Victim, Iron Monkey, Roaring Fire, and something else I'm blanking on at the moment. They decided to go a "new route" and the line was canceled before it went anywhere.I know of one other print of the film, and it's been my dream to see this film get a proper release.

Incredible Kung Fu Master is coming out from a new print in Germany soon. :)

how about the NEW dvd then?

It´s ~2.10:1 , anamorphic, progressive pal, canto/english/german dubs (seems like the original dubs, but dont quote me on that), english softsubs and interview with sammo & biao as extras.

Seems to be the same source as the other print i know is out on dvd (except the tai seng one). It´s got the korean title in the credits. Maybe im imagining things but i get the feeling that this one has higher bitrate too.

In either case, i´m happy owning the NEW version of this so i would prolly not be as excited if a remastered print showed up.

/end rant

is cropped as well. You can actually see it at the title screen I believe, where there's part of the Japanese undertitle. Unless someone can say otherwise, I think they used the same Japanese source.

Guest HANZOSTEEL
I was set to do commentaries for The Victim, Iron Monkey, Roaring Fire, and something else I'm blanking on at the moment.

Linn have you ever done audio commentary on a DVD before? If so which one.

And Markgway is that photo i see on your avatar Tyrone Hsu? im almost certain it is.

don't get along. EVERY release I've ever had anything to do with that I was supposed to do a commentary for has been canceled. Sometimes at the very last minute. At one point, a day before myself and a Bruce Li fan (you know who you are) were all set to do a commentary for Bruce Lee, The Man, The Myth, I was called and told it was cancelled. This was after the guy drove a few hours to my house to get together on the commentary and after weeks of my writing notes and working on it. Ditto for perhaps a dozen titles over the years. It's at a point where if I'm to do a commentary, it's virtually a lock that it will never come out.

Guest Markgway

Hanzo: It's Han Ying Chieh as The Big Boss.

An underrated character actor and choreographer.

...and don't call me Markgay(!) >: :hat

Guest HANZOSTEEL

Your bound to end up with your shot one day Linn. If i had my choice to do the commentary

on any move it would be 'Executioners from Shaolin' because thats the movie that brought

it all back for me.

But then see i can only ever dream of doing such a thing when you will get your shot.

Also so many movies come out with ANY commentary and i dont know why. Every single

fan would prefer it. Im sure of it because im one of them.. I believe your day will come soon

i think you would do a good job on human skin lanterns because you are into cult horror.

Films that deserve commentary really should get it! Even films that arent very popular are

twice as nice with commentary. All you companies out there ADD COMMENTARY to your

DVD for christsakes mate. LOL

Guest HANZOSTEEL

Eh! I just noticed mate i will fix it now and also check out this person "Han Ying Chieh"who i believed to

be tyrone hsu for over a year!

Guest chen lung
It's hard to recognize because the avatars are so ridiculously small here.

Mark, I can create another avatar if you want? I know how to do them :) .

softsubs

What are these?

Commentaries and I... don't get along

You've truly been jinxed Linn. Shame it's all the lousy ones that get the commentaries (not strictly true, but you know who I'm getting at...).

Guest chen lung
Thanks Chen, but it would still be the same size wouldn't it?

You'd have to exclude the knives, or I could make you another one altogether (moving or static).

PM me if you want another avatar :) .

chen lung: Softsubs, as opposed to hardcoded subs are subtitles not burnt in to the movie but are rather present on a separate stream in the vob file on the dvd. This gives many advantages where being able to show the subs or not is among the most obvious ones.

Guest chen lung
Softsubs, as opposed to hardcoded subs are subtitles not burnt in to the movie but are rather present on a separate stream in the vob file on the dvd.

Removable subtitles :) . Thanks dMG!

Cognoscente

I wish that there was an actual Chinese print of the movie instead of an English print with Chinese audio attached (like one of the YouTube uploads of The Gold Connection).

In the beginning, I didn't mind the dubtitles of The Victim. However, the more that I learned Cantonese, the more that I could tell that the subtitles didn't reflect what was actually being said. That's when it became annoying. Also, the number of times when the audio repeats itself on the UK disc indicates that the Chinese audio had been butchered to accommodate the smaller running time of the English print. The scene where Leung Chung Yau's wife talks about Jo Wing's eye mishap seems awfully random and abrupt, which makes me think that something grisly was taken out.

• Like 2