The Last Duel aka The Gallant Duo

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

Hey,

Does anyone have decent size poster of this 1971-Taiwanese-Hong Kong co-production.

The one shown at the HKMDB is too small to read the text.

Frankly, I'm not 100% sure which is the original title.

Golden Harvest bought this indie and probably changed the title, but since "The Last Duel" appears on the poster alongside the original prod.co logos I can only assume (perhaps incorrectly) that this is the orignal title?

If anyone knows dfferent...

Also if you've seen this-- who plays the following characters?

1. Grand Cllr. Wen - the dude Miao Tien wants to assassinate

2. Ta Chen - Tang Lan-Hua's brother

I think Han Su plays the girl's father - the old boy with the white beard.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope this helps: Re The Gallant Duo

http://cgi.ebay.com.my/Hong-Kong-movie-flyer-WANG-YU-the-gallant-duo_W0QQitemZ350247391652QQ

http://shop.ebay.ca/sis.html?ssPageName=VIN:SIM&_kw=THE+GALLANT+DUO-JIMMY+WANG+YU-CHANG+YI-DVD-ENG+SUB-1971&_fis=2&_id=120474267156&_sibeleafcat=617

Scroll down for bigger images or (more info - second link click first image The Gallant Duo)

Unfortunately I didn't catch this at the cinema so can't help much.

Guest Markgway

Thanks Kwok.

The second link is for a different film called The Gallant (similar title I know). The seller has made a mistake. It's not an AKA for The Gallant Duo.

The first link is the correct film. No English title. Although I have seen a back flyer which had in tiny type The Gallant Duo on the top right. No title logo though as there is on the theatrical poster. That flyer has one of the original prod co. logos on it - Eng Wah (HK). Although they seem to be a distributor also as many flyers of this era have their logo.

The print of the film I saw is the Media Asia one (source unknown) titled The Gallant Duo. Runs 81 mins and opens with the tacked on Golden Harvest wheatfield logo. The original logos must've been removed. This happened to a couple of Wang Yu/Hsu Tseng-Hung films released by GH at this time. Appears to be uncut, though clipped for print damage.

I'll list the film under The Last Duel as that's the title on the poster (and the one used by the HKFA). It may be that GH changed the title to The Gallant Duo? If a poster with GH logos turned up bearing that title it would clear things up. The poster, as I said, with the orignal logos uses The Last Duel.

Archived