Bichunmoo (2000)

lillippa328

Ok i liked the movie overall, at the end it started making more sense...the fight scense were good, even tho im usually not a fan of the sped up stuff...

but, was I the only one that was kinda...confused in the middle? It starts off making sense...then kinda lost me a little, and at the end I caught what happend and made sense of it all....

still enjoyed tho

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love this movie too... the storlyline is weak at some point, that makes feel lost to the spectator, but is a good movie. Love Shin Hyeong - Joon.

Alexandra

ToothbrushFu
but, was I the only one that was kinda...confused in the middle? It starts off making sense...then kinda lost me a little, and at the end I caught what happend and made sense of it all....

IIRC there were a lot of scenes deleted from the film by the studio to get the running time under two hours, which is why the middle section is a mess storywise. Supposedly there was going to be a longer cut available on DVD at some point but I've never seen it so it could just be one of those Internet myths.

I've had the Premier Asia version of this movie for awhile now. I really need to watch it sometime along with Bang Rajan.

Shaolindogma

You don't want to cross this crew in a back alley. You might just get stabbed with a trident!

Anchorman%2BThe%2BLegend%2Bof%2BRon%2BBurgundy%2Bfight%2Bscene.jpg

If only I had a crew like this:

noelani-albums-demotivational-posters-picture1201-face-youll-never-cool-these-guys.jpg

OK...the lead actor had a "team" that supported his cause and follwed his orders, correct? They were nice with various weapons. They put the big hurt on their enemies with the quickness.

Now, i ask, is their any other dude in the history of kung fu movies that has a team (mob) like homeboy did in Bichunmoo? I team or squad that got busy like in Bichunmoo? That means costume wise, skills weapons and anything else you can think of.

Maybe Donnie Yen's 14 Blades? Or Bodyguards and Assassins.

In the more recent film, 13 Assassins, those Japanese mercinaries were relentless.

The old Shaws' film The Five Brothers was old school mobbing. Those brothers weren't to be trifled with.

One Armed Boxer

I got through watching this one for the first time last night, and came away much more impressed that I'd expected to be. Made in 2000, during that somewhat transitional period of Korean cinema between when 'Shiri' got international audiences attention in 1999, and movies like 'OldBoy', 'A Tale of Two Sisters', & 'Memories of Murder' defined the Korean style in 2003, at the time of it's release 'Bichunmoo' was the most expensive Korean movie ever made.

The movie plays out almost like a Chor Yuen directed Shaw Brothers wuxia, choreographed in the new wave style of Ching Siu Tung (the exploding body effects will be immediately recognizable from 'Butterfly and Sword'), and this is a compliment rather than a criticism. It's interesting to see that in the years following 'Bichunmoo', Korean wuxia tales such as 'Blades of Blood' and 'The Sword with No Name' have distinctly moved away from the stylized type of action found in 'Bichunmoo', while putting an emphasis on having a more local flavor.

'Bichunmoo' is at its heart a tale of two lovers who due to conflicting backgrounds, find it difficult to be together, it's a storyline that Shakespeare would be proud of, and is also found in other Korean tales such as 'Hong Kil Dong'. Things do have a tendency to be somewhat confusing in the first half of the movie, reportedly a lot of scenes were removed by the studio to trim down the running time, and it certainly shows as it sometimes has a very choppy feel, with the status of characters, their motivations, and even whole periods of time changing from one scene to the next.

Thankfully things calm down in the second half, and events draw to a satisfactory conclusion. 'Bichunmoo' is definitely a movie worth checking out for those who haven't seen it, and should be of interest to both wuxia and Korean cinema fans. Shin Hyun-joon is great as the main character, with his brooding looks and intense performance, people on here will probably recognize him from the movie 'Guns & Talks' (made a year later), while Kim Hee-sun also plays her role perfectly as the tortured daughter of a Mongol general (she also played the Korean princess in Jackie Chan's 2005 dud 'The Myth').

Agree with what everyone has said. Entertaining but muddled.

The stunt works was done by a hong kong choreographer that is why it has that wuxia style.

Need to find a better version. The one I picked up a long time ago from Korea is 4:3.

Archived