Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Jackie Chan, Tony Jaa Who's Better? #3

daisho2004

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you can't compare them, all brilliant in their own right

Bruce Lee demonstrates what reality fighting and he bringing his edge to the screen

Tony Jaa bring brutal fighting and action sequences to the screen

Jackie Chan bring his stunts and precise action sequences

Jet Li brings speed accuracy and you love his characters on screen. Its just to hard to say which one is the best.

you can't compare them, all brilliant in their own right

Bruce Lee demonstrates what reality fighting and he bringing his edge to the screen

Tony Jaa bring brutal fighting and action sequences to the screen

Jackie Chan bring his stunts and precise action sequences

Jet Li brings speed accuracy and you love his characters on screen. Its just to hard to say which one is the best.

hell yeah, best post i have ever read!

except for maybe that one about the saw in the head scene if its true or ever released by venomsfan...

Guest WuxiaFan

daisho - very cool video clip! Thanks for posting it! :smile: All of them are incredible martial artists, so I don't its possible to say "who's better" out of the four. Here's my take on each of them, and these are merely my opinions: :nerd:

Bruce Lee: I don't know if there's ever been any one individual that's made more of an impact on the martial arts world, including the genre, to this day than Bruce Lee. And he only made 5 movies and co-starred in 1 TV show! Also, when you watch Bruce fight not only in his movies, but also in the documentary footage, I really don't know if there's anyone who could have ever beaten him. When you look at how he trained and his nearly perfect physique, was there anybody more powerful than Bruce? His 1-inch punch is the perfect example.

Jackie Chan: I love JC and he has made some of the greatest martial art movies of all time and performed some of the most amazing stunts of all time, BUT I'm not sure if he and Bruce squared off, he would win. I just don't think so. JC was the first big martial arts star after BL, but to me, JC doesn't have the charisma and intensity of BL. However, JC continued to positively impact the genre after BL.

Jet Li: I also love Jet Li and think he's made some of the greatest martial art movies, too. Out of the 3 in this discussion, I would probably place Jet as the closest match to Bruce Lee. I believe Jet Li has made the greatest impact on the modern era of the genre, even more so than JC (IMHO). I think most new stars are compared most to Jet Li, even more so than Donnie Yen. If Donnie was in this discussion, it would probably be a tie between him and Jet as to the closest match to Bruce.

Tony Jaa: Out of the current era of martial art stars, I think Tony Jaa is the top star and absolutely phenomenal! His technique is incredible and his stunts are equally as incredible as JC's. Tony is also internationally known, good looking, and can actually act. So, to me, he has all the qualities to carry the genre if he continues to make good movies and if they could get a timely stateside release. I mean, I've had ONG BAK 2 since April and (I've heard) it's going to get a stateside release in Oct!:ooh:

In stating that I don't think it's possible to say "who's better", I ended comparing the other 3 to Bruce! But, if you're the best, you're always the one being compared against! So maybe that's the answer.:angel:

I think the four of the excel in different areas.

Bruce Lee had the best star quality, that kid of 'movie star' charisma that you either have or you don't. He was probably the best martial artist of the bunch too.

Tony Jaa is the best athelete. Also, the best years of career should be ahead of him, he still has a ton of potential.

Jet Li is probably the best actor of the group.

Jackie Chan is one of the greatest action choreographers of all time and possesses excellent comic timing.

Maybe we should expand this and make some 'Kung Fu Top Trumps'. :tongue:

Why does everyone always include Bruce Lee into this conversation?

Regardless of who comes out, no can beat Bruce Lee, not even hypothetical.

If you want to do comparison, with Jackie and Jet, don't include Tony, he hasn't done nothing..

Jet and Jackie has been doing this forever and Tony just came out. He hasn't done one movie that was a complete movie..

I agree that they are two different styles, but isn't that what martial arts is all about..who is the better fighter..

Both Jet and Jackie has earned their rights but I would take Jet over Jackie..Tony Jaa hasn't earned the right to be compared against..IMHO

Guest WuxiaFan
All of them pale into insignificance in comparison to these truly awesome fighting machines:

Classic! :wink:

Why does everyone always include Bruce Lee into this conversation?

Regardless of who comes out, no can beat Bruce Lee, not even hypothetical.

If you want to do comparison, with Jackie and Jet, don't include Tony, he hasn't done nothing..

Jet and Jackie has been doing this forever and Tony just came out. He hasn't done one movie that was a complete movie..

I agree that they are two different styles, but isn't that what martial arts is all about..who is the better fighter..

Both Jet and Jackie has earned their rights but I would take Jet over Jackie..Tony Jaa hasn't earned the right to be compared against..IMHO

Which one was you in those auditions? :neutral:

As much as I love all those guys I think the best fighter would be between Tony, Bruce & Donnie. My bet would be on Donnie in a real fantasy fight with each fighter at their peak.

why not Ong Bak is one of the most important MA films ever made IMHO so why not include him? His films are highly anticipated with fans hoping he'll break more ground each & every film he makes. Tony's biggest problem is can he make a better film than his 1st starring role? Ong Bak Could become an albatros round his neck, never delivering such raw thrills even as he improves technically, production values etc.

As much as I love all those guys I think the best fighter would be between Tony, Bruce & Donnie. My bet would be on Donnie in a real fantasy fight with each fighter at their peak.

what the heck is a "real fantasy fight"

anywho....yall are forgetting the dude of all dude's....

Lau Kar Leung

what the heck is a "real fantasy fight"

anywho....yall are forgetting the dude of all dude's....

Lau Kar Leung

A real fantasy fight means if you could transport all the great on-screen martial artists (at their peak of physical condition ) into the same time and space so they could actually Duke it out, that is what the fight would be.

You cannot clearly seperate them. The difference in choreography is evident from Lee's movies being less complex and pretty in their choreography than Jackie's. Tony's frenetic acrobatics compared to Li's elegance and speed.

Bruce - Massive on screen charisma. I think often overrated for his on-screen MA abillity but he did change the martial arts world forever and for the better.

Jackie - My favourite of the four. The best performer of the three. His timing is impeccible as well as his physical comedy.

Jet - His speed is awe-inspiring. Fist of Legend is almost my favourite film but I feel he acts better (more naturally) in comedic roles like that of Fong Sai Yuk.

Tony - Highly overrated. Extremely acrobatic and as mentioned earlier probably made his best film first. Ong Bak 2 is some of the most repetitive fighting I have seen in recent times. His attempt to imitate Chinese styles was almost laughable. Also, add to this his clear lack of charisma and acting ability and he doesn't even qualify in the same league as the above.

I would add Donnie Yen as a clear winner over the rest should he be added to the list. Trained in real MA (not Peking Opera or Wushu) from the ground up. The best kicker. Has charisma and has taken HK filming to a new level in the last 5 years.

why not Ong Bak is one of the most important MA films ever made IMHO so why not include him? His films are highly anticipated with fans hoping he'll break more ground each & every film he makes. Tony's biggest problem is can he make a better film than his 1st starring role? Ong Bak Could become an albatros round his neck, never delivering such raw thrills even as he improves technically, production values etc.

You are compaing a guy that has barely made his mark to veterans like bruce, jackie, jet and Donnie..

Yes Tony has good raw talent but so did all of them..Tony hasn't made any good movies.

Until he comes out with a good movie..He will be just that martial arts guy..you know that guy...hehehe

Um.. no disrespect, these guys look great on films.. but do you think any of these guys above can fight and win in the UFC?

When it comes to actual combat-live fighting, I believe the only thing that surpassed his MA skills was his Martial Mind-set, -Lee, I mean. There are others who have been more solid technically, diverse in styles, stronger, bigger, as fast...

However, no-one had that mental/physical combination that he possessed.

Not one..

That's where the separation begins. It's like in the NBA right now;

There's Kobe, Then LeBron, then everybody else. Not that being everybody else is bad-they're all professionals, there's just separation

Threads like these are difficult to answer. Bruce Lee zealots will constantly insist he was the best thing since sliced bread and nobody will come between them and their love for him.

However, if the question is posed in a "Who would win in an off screen fight?" kind of way then we have no idea of telling. I, for one, have never seen Jackie Chan, Jet Li or Tony Jaa outside of a "performance." Actually, that's a lie because I have seen Jet Li perform Wu Shu routines when he was younger.

The answer is inconclusive without evidence. Granted, we have all seen Bruce Lee practicing and he looked special. He looked like he could kick the Sun into check. But compared to what? I've seen Donnie Yen practicing and he also looks incredible. But beyond the hype and hypothetical, there is no direct answer. We will never know.

Bruce Lee elitists just happen to have the upper hand because there is solid evidence that Lee was as incredible off screen as on screen. It doesn't make him an instant winner in these threads but it makes those touting him as the victor a little harder to back down.

Guest kungfu owl

i once met a guy who knew jet li and he thought jet li was just a wushu dancer i thought this was a bit unfair but i understood his point . these people and their ufc makes me laugh when they say would bruce cut it in the ufc. well i'll ask you would these people in the ufc cut it back in the 60-70s when bruce was at his prime and doing super mad exercises to reach his peak because the equipment back then was primitive. the scientific formulas and supplements used today to get athletes in shape and keep them there was not around in Bruce's day. how many of todays guys could have trained like bruce back in the 60's and 70's

can you imagine how even more amazing bruce would be with todays technology and fighting techniques at his disposal. when i watch the ufc i rarely see anybody physically amazing.

as for jacky chan i can't remember him using locks and throws in his movies so who knows how he would get on in the ufc...not many walls there to run up. jacky chan was pretty tough though with all his mad stunts.

it's really impudent to even mention Jaa in the same sentence with Jackie, Bruce etc.

who the hell is Jaa? what has he reached so far? two and a half kicks and three punches in a handful of average movies??

the question must be: JACKIE CHAN, BRUCE LEE, SAMMO HUNG, YUEN BIAO, JET LI, DONNIE YEN - WHO'S BETTER?

although it's impossible to answer it. everyone has a different style and different strenght!

Archived