Flying Guillotine - First Movie?

kungfusamurai

I was wondering how old is the movie concept of the Flying Guillotine? I thought the Shaw Brothers movie of that name was the first one. But then I found the clip below of something called 'Blind Swordsman's Revenge' with a faux-Zatoichi, which is a chinese made flick, and the credit indicates it was made in 1972. If that is the actual year the film was made, then it predates the Chen Kwan Tai film, so I'm wondering if flying guillotines were in even older flicks.

77NqpCklZBQ

Edit: Okay, so now that I see it's Chiang Tao, he looks older than he did in Savage Five, so this film must have been made in the mid 70s, maybe even the late 70s.

I'd still be curious to find out if the flying guillotine was present in a film before the Shaw Bros flick.

KFS

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the Flying Guillotine was a real historical weapon, if thats true then it makes since that it would be in older movies.

I thought the Flying Guillotine was a real historical weapon, if thats true then it makes since that it would be in older movies.

There was a show on it I watched one time, It was probably more of a scare tactic to keep people in line than an actual weapon, the idea of a weapon that can take your head off would be enough to keep people from questioning authority, it doesn't seem like a practical weapon to use during a fight, executions on the other hand...

Definitely one of the coolest concepts for a weapon ever though.

BlackLamaFaction

I believe your correct. I think the consensus is that the weapon is fictitious, likely being the stuff of legend and propaganda from the old days. It was then likely resurected for use in films for obvious reasons. It's a bad ass weapon but doesn't seem practical for decapitations in actual application.

"And I'm willing to convert to Buddism"............... "That's good, That's gooooooooood"

It definitely wouldn't be practical because you wouldn't have much ability in controlling where it goes, and of course, anyone could just side step it or block it when they see it coming.

I found one place that says the movie Blind Swordsman's Revenge, aka Sword Renounced, was made in 1974. I still think it must be later, like 1975 or '76. It's kind of irritating how the guy looks so much like Katsu, but I know it's not him. I thought I had this on VCD, but I can't find it. Must be buried deep.

KFS

Archived