Shaolin Mantis (1978)

KyFi

Secret Executioner
Mantis also uses a fist where you slightly extend your middle finger (sorry, I don't know the exact name). It's quite brutal if you get hit in the side or the ribs!

Reminds me of the "tail" of the Snake from The Five Venoms - with the "head" looking a bit Eagle Claw-ish.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
Actually you do... It's just that he does the form so damn quick :yociexp45:

Mantis also uses a fist where you slightly extend your middle finger (sorry, I don't know the exact name). It's quite brutal if you get hit in the side or the ribs!

BTW, is this real or just another fake ???

tumblr_n2qufgc1mV1rdsiguo1_500.jpg

Right, Iaagi, We have a very famous Praying Mantis Master in Saint Paul, Minnesota.

Master Gin Foon Mark, 5th generation master of Jwong Sai Jook Lum Praying Mantis.

He is his 80's now.

nixon.jpg

I think the Bruce photo is real.

GD Y-Y

Actually you do... It's just that he does the form so damn quick :yociexp45:

You are referring to Fung Ahn Choy or Phoenix Eye Fist...it can be done with the middle knuck or index knuckle. This strike is typical of southern or Hakka mantis whereas the more classic mantis grab is seen more in the various northern styles of mantis.

Kwok Choi
:yociexp45:

Hmmmm.......well let's see. The pose seems wrong.Is it actually Mantis or Monkey? if it is Mantis then where is the left index finger?.Bruce's biceps were not as beefed up as in that picture and the right arm, both lower and upper, look disproportionate to the whole of the left arm.Bruce's diaphragm was not as broad as in that picture unless when he was in the " Cobra " pose which is certainly not the case here.Finally the angle of sight or eye line (is he daydreaming?) in relation to the pose and shoulder positions do not work for me.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Good points.....so maybe this is a photoshop pic.

GD Y-Y

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

i-am-brucelee.jpg

So those biceps do not look like these.

As well as the arms.

GD Y-Y

Secret Executioner

Re the disproportionate arms: can't be worse than the javelin thrower from The Twelve Tasks Of Asterix. :tongue:

cSX2RgQP3Gs

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
Re the disproportionate arms: can't be worse than the javelin thrower from The Twelve Tasks Of Asterix. :tongue:

cSX2RgQP3Gs

LOL GHW.

:tongue:

GD Y-Y

ShawAngela

I had also noticed the biceps : I didn't remember Bruce having such developped muscles, at least in the mantis picture, they don't look alike as in the above picture from post 131...

The Dragon
Good points.....so maybe this is a photoshop pic.

GD Y-Y

Not photoshopped. During the 60's, Bruce with the help of Dan Inosanto, Ted Wong, Jhoon Rhee, and Taky Kimura, had a series of photos done for a Kung Fu instructional manual he was putting together; Jun Fan Kung Fu. This was before he developed his concepts on JKD, as he was constantly evolving his principles...

bc65cebde3af13d565c23ba990fdedc2-pearlsquare.jpg?v=2

ecb0bcc395622d90f84112a7f19ad8e5.jpg

BruceLee-JhoonRhee.jpg

BruceLeeBeach.jpg

jhoon%20rhoon.jpg

5kf4Z.jpg

bruce-lee-fighting-method-14-393160-3-s-307x512.jpg

Not photoshopped.

Thank you The Dragon, but not photoshopped? perhaps altered or tampered with? I doubt if anyone would disagree with your statement below or doubt the authenticity of those nice photos you posted possibly taken from one of those books or from another online source.But that particular picture in question is doubtful.If you have a better source or better image of the disputed photo then please post it for more scrutiny.Much appreciated.

"During the 60's, Bruce with the help of Dan Inosanto, Ted Wong, Jhoon Rhee, and Taky Kimura, had a series of photos done for a Kung Fu instructional manual he was putting together; Jun Fan Kung Fu. This was before he developed his concepts on JKD, as he was constantly evolving his principles..."

The Dragon
Thank you The Dragon, but not photoshopped? perhaps altered or tampered with? I doubt if anyone would disagree with your statement below or doubt the authenticity of those nice photos you posted possibly taken from one of those books or from another online source.But that particular picture in question is doubtful.If you have a better source or better image of the disputed photo then please post it for more scrutiny.Much appreciated.

"During the 60's, Bruce with the help of Dan Inosanto, Ted Wong, Jhoon Rhee, and Taky Kimura, had a series of photos done for a Kung Fu instructional manual he was putting together; Jun Fan Kung Fu. This was before he developed his concepts on JKD, as he was constantly evolving his principles..."

I no longer own The Fighting Spirit Series. They are available online, like Amazon. As far as that single shot, I'd say it's taken while Bruce was moving ... It's an action grab. However, the series including this particular shot are available. I was just saying it isn't photoshopped.

Archived