Shaolin Mantis (1978)

KyFi

It's a great, great movie which I feel often gets unfairly lumped as a second-tier LKL film (same with Challenge of the Masters, which as a film pretty much epitomizes LKL's entire philosophy),

And one of the interesting things is that it's so much darker than anything else LKL did, even 8 Diagram Pole Fighter. You're right, LKL was actively reacting against the genre's fixation with violence and fatalism (Chang Cheh). As a real martial-artist, he knew kung-fu was something positive and spiritually enriching, and one of his projects was definitely trying to make films that reflected that, films which got away frin the "revenge" narrative which dominated the rest of the genre and found another path. Here, however, he goes in a complete other direction: the movie really is the negative image of Heroes of the East, another story of a martial-artist forced to fight his wife's "in-laws". Here, however, the discipline and hierarchy required by the martial-family pollutes the real one, creating strict obligations which cannot be amended or broken (I don't it's any mistake that it is the family women who rebel against a strictly patriarchal order).

I still don't know why people dislike the ending - do people want a "happy" one where Chiang gets away with what he did? Furthermore, the ending adds another layer to the whole proceeding: Chiang's father sacrifices his family to a political cause just the way Lau Kar-Wing's bearded patriarch did his. It both underscores and further complicates the film's critique of family order.

And David Chiang is very good here: this and his Eric Tsang films show he could do shapes whenever he was willing to bust his ass for it (although I'm pretty sure he's doubled a bit in the latter films). With that said, I think Chiang knew his limitations as a performer, which is more often than not avoided shapes altogether and started retreating into comedy and back to wuxia (and he does some fantastic late work there: Judgement of an Assassin, Strife for Mastery, Blooded Treasury Fight).

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see that someone else appreciates David Chiang, I read so many bad comments on him, how he fought and so on...

And this movie is very good.

Great movie, my favorite DC performance so far. Like you, I didn't like the ending on first viewing, but thought it was great the next time I watched it. I just watched this recently and made a post about it in "best shaw you've seen recently.." Check it out!

www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3946&page=120

Good post Cold Bishop.

Great movie, my favorite DC performance so far. Like you, I didn't like the ending on first viewing, but thought it was great the next time I watched it. I just watched this recently and made a post about it in "best shaw you've seen recently.." Check it out!

www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3946&page=120

Good post Cold Bishop.

If you don't like the ending of this, you should really see 'Usurpers of Emperors Power'.

That is one real downer of a movie but I really liked it.

Secret Executioner
I'd go with 'Shaolin Mantis'.

I'd say that too (especially seeing the second pic), but I'm not so sure. Still nice finds, GDY-Y. :smile:

Of course it's Shaolin Mantis : Cecilia Wong, David Chiang, Gordon Liu and David's costume are the proofs...

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
If you haven't seen this one GDYY get it immediately.

I new it.

And I have seen this one.

Thanks all! :angel:

GD Y-Y

Morgoth Bauglir
I new it.

And I have seen this one.

Thanks all! :angel:

GD Y-Y

If you haven't seen the trailer, watch it immediately.

AZFsLGkWIB0

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Thanks for embedding the trailer here Morgoth. :bigsmile: I'm sure those that haven't seen it will be very happy once they view it. It's rare to have a trailer with so much footage that's not in the movie, and anything with Pops... Must-see!

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

AZFsLGkWIB0

11148347_921028454627334_2760769653391578024_n.jpg?oh=6c76195f43bd0ec0b3db91afe70e84e2&oe=55DEC3F8

I must admit I got goose bumps watching this.

As Sifu said in his last words of this remarkable trailer:

Thank You!

GD Y-Y

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

KUNG FU QUEST 2 - NORTHERN & SOUTHERN PRAYING MANTIS EP 4 (ENG SUB)

rhvZjvTZeUE

The kung fu quest series is quite interesting they take on many martial arts forms with real masters and their students.

GD Y-Y

Cloud Hands
KUNG FU QUEST 2 - NORTHERN & SOUTHERN PRAYING MANTIS EP 4 (ENG SUB)

rhvZjvTZeUE

The kung fu quest series is quite interesting they take on many martial arts forms with real masters and their students.

GD Y-Y

Most of the Kung Fu Quest series are decent and I think very interesting. Many of them are up on youtube, some in HD I think. Although no one is going to really learn the inner teachings of an art in a week (especially in China where they can be secretive about such things) as an introduction, travelogue and opportunity to see authentic practitioners introducing their arts it is well worth watching.

Might be a good opportunity to make some advertisment for my master in China ;)

oVesa4KqKZ0

This is a authentic Northern Mantis Form. I did a bit of it myself while in China :yociexp81:

Mantis boxing is very dynamic and uses all directions for attack... I like it a lot!

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Its interesting that you do not see the classic mantis fist in video.

Thanks for the post laagi

pm1.jpg

GD Y-Y

Its interesting that you do not see the classic mantis fist in video.

Actually you do... It's just that he does the form so damn quick :yociexp45:

Mantis also uses a fist where you slightly extend your middle finger (sorry, I don't know the exact name). It's quite brutal if you get hit in the side or the ribs!

BTW, is this real or just another fake ???

tumblr_n2qufgc1mV1rdsiguo1_500.jpg

reason108
Actually you do... It's just that he does the form so damn quick :yociexp45:

Mantis also uses a fist where you slightly extend your middle finger (sorry, I don't know the exact name). It's quite brutal if you get hit in the side or the ribs!

BTW, is this real or just another fake ???

tumblr_n2qufgc1mV1rdsiguo1_500.jpg

I don't know if that picture is real or not. But, I think there are some other legit pix of Bruce messing around with the Mantis form. So, it very well could be.

Archived