Shaolin Mantis (1978)

KyFi

• Administrator
If I had art skills as good as yours, I would make a cover for them and send it in to demonstrate my skills. Sign some paper work offering that they can use it for small compensation or they can use this one for free if they will sign you to do the next 2-3 covers for pay. That might be your way to get your foot in the door. Offer if they dont' like it they dont' have to buy it and they shouldh ave nothing to lose and you lose nothing other than your free time :)

I appreciate your advice and compliments mistertpitydafoo. I've already tried something similar though, and to no avail. The main obstacle is that these companies each already have a "graphics department" or person. So they feel that to use an outside source would be stepping on the toes of their own people, and also paying extra for something they feel they can already do "in house". :squigglemouth:

I'll continue to draw and paint, and perhaps someday my art will improve to a level where they will finally want it for this purpose. :wink:

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not going to double-dip this but for those who have not seen this;pick it.

I have read some comments chiang did not do well and hate villain is in lead role..

IMO movie is extremely enjoyable with lot terrific fights,and storyline intersting.and thing chiang picks mantis style here not as corny as in many other movies where hero adapts style..

geez I luv this movie a lot

I absoluley loved this film, apart from The Loot and The Challenger David Chiang hasent done a film where he looks as impressive, the training scenes are excellent and the final fights are non stop, definatly in my top 5 shaw films.

2. This is a really odd story. Who are you supposed to root for?

Well,there are rare movies where very difficult if not impossible to take sides.One which comes immediately to mind is humphrey bogart classic "desperate hours" it became immediately clear he is bad guy but still kinda hoped end of movie good for him.

Same was with shaolin mantis.

It's been so long since I seen this movie I forgot about the end, I need to watch this again cause I probably didn't quite have a grasp on the whole Ming - Ching thing at the time.

There's one picture where "Little Lau" is climbing on a Godzilla figure, It's pretty funny. It looks like they're fighting.

Yo Bob lets see this pic:xd:

It has the best trailer for a movie I have ever seen. There's more talent and craft in the Shaolin Mantis trailer than there is in 80% of kung fu movies.
Another fine sampling of Lau Kar Leung in action; his moves and speed are jaw-dropping!:tongue:

This thread has directly influenced me to pre-order this from Amazon. The Dragon Dynasty version releases on Nov 16.

amelia.john011

I love this movie, its so different from any other kung fu movies are made, and the story is an interesting name for a list of frequently rotating plot. Its always a big plot hole in kung fu movies, but always forget that it is good to talk and 2tintoe said that if only DC had been told by his grandfather, what was happening, they may be able to find a solution, oh , fine.

My (wonderful) wife returned from a work trip last night and, while away, had bought me this. I can't wait to give it another watch.

My (wonderful) wife returned from a work trip last night and, while away, had bought me this. I can't wait to give it another watch.

That is wonderful!

:angel:

Morgoth Bauglir

Where did she get it? I can't find it at Suncoast, Best Buy or Walmart.

Where did she get it? I can't find it at Suncoast, Best Buy or Walmart.

She picked it up at FYE, along with Fortune Star's "Prodigal Son."

This thread has directly influenced me to pre-order this from Amazon. The Dragon Dynasty version releases on Nov 16.

so its out?

A local Walmart just got this in today where i am it is in NY, so maybe it will show up now everywhere hopefully. Either that or it is all mine. :tongue:

Either that or it is all mine. :tongue:

That's kind of how I feel. I had no idea it wasn't wildly available because I haven't looked.

• Administrator

Thanks to Rogue Warrior, I have this poster up on my wall (he had a double) too. Love it! Oh how I wish they'd have used this for the DVD cover. The one they made isn't bad. I just prefer the painted art.

In my neck of the woods, Best Buy didn't have it (though they sometimes get DD titles a week or two later), and Walmart didn't have it (unless they sold out before I looked). After work I stopped by FYE and they had one copy. MINE! :nerd:

This has some similarities to JimmyWY movie "temple of red lotus".Shaolin mantis has better fights but torl is more charming movie....

I watched this last night and while I'm not a tech head in any way, shape or form, I found little wrong with the picture. My wife pointed out that sometimes certain things seemed fuzzy in places (David Chiang's boots for example) but I didn't see it nearly as much as her.

Good stuff all round, I felt. Cracking film too!

Brought this one home from the library. The picture quality looks really good. The coolest thing about the dvd, it has subs for the translation and another subtitle track for the dub. Now even the hearing impaired can count the listen's and but still's

NoKUNGFUforYU

Anyone ever hear about this? At the time, I knew a Mantis fist practitioner who said that many of the Mantis Instructors were offended by this movie, as it basically implies that the style was started by a traitor. I imagine this happened with the Hung Hsi Kuan movies as well, as all the villains are Wu Tong practitioners-i.e. internal stylists.

I have noticed very, very few kung fu movies use Hsing Yi, Tai Chi or Pa Kua, let alone Ba Ji. It really seems like most of Lau Kar Leungs early fight scenes are hung gar two man sets, for the most part.

Any kung fu practitioners from the 70's, chime in!

NoKUNGFUforYU

That's what I thought when I saw it, and it was only after the guy mentioned it that I said to myself "Hmm, he has a point". Anyway, just a thought. I also remember one of my friends saying that he liked 5 fingers of death more than Shaolin Mantis. I asked why and he said "better sticks (old slang for hard punches)". There were some silly techniques in Shaolin Mantis, and a whole lot of "flick fu"- esoteric punches that would not hurt anyone, as there was no way to generate power from them.

Archived