Shaolin Mantis (1978)

KyFi

I, for one, think this film is above average, mainly for it's story-telling. And while the fight sequences aren't that fantastic, you gotta give it up for the final fight between David Chiang and Lau Kar Wing. The choreography was excellent, and the camera displayed it perfectly. Actually, it's one of my favorite final fights. I love Lau Kar Wing's use of his pipe in the beginning. One of his best performances, in my humble opinion. David Chiang's display of the Mantis Fist was good too. Very well done for someone who doesn't have any real kung fu in their background. Props all go to Pops for the choreography, though (just the final fight).

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just checked on amazon. found SHAOLIN MANTIS listed for release on NOV / 16TH /2010. not much information--i believe it's from dragondynasty.:tongue:

That's cool.. If I hadn't just bought the IVL disc I would have bought this for one sure. It's a great movie , definitely recommended.

Morgoth Bauglir

Awesome!!! One of my all time favorite movies. I hope it's true bobo. I will be able to throw away my shitty, messed up pic quality, "remastered" Red Sun version that I bought like 3 or 4 years ago at CD Tradepost. Finally!!!

Didn't say who was releasing it? I hope its one of the better companies.

Probably Dragon Dynasty.. they only seem to put out Shaw movies that have Gordon Liu in them as of late...

(i'm not mad though, as long as they can generate a decent quality picture with cleaned up audio)

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Wish these guys would hire me to paint original designs for their DVD covers! I love SHAOLIN MANTIS. :nerd:

Shaolin Patriot
Probably Dragon Dynasty.. they only seem to put out Shaw movies that have Gordon Liu in them as of late...

Shaolin Mantis was definately on the DD Shaw list of releases, along with other Lau Ga Leung titles. Likely to be released under the Universal/Vivendi deal.

Wish these guys would hire me to paint original designs for their DVD covers! I love SHAOLIN MANTIS. :nerd:

I second that!!! Both the covers and Shaolin Mantis that is!!

I second that!!! Both the covers and Shaolin Mantis that is!!

Me too!!! We should start a petition for Kung Fu Bob to do the cover art for these old school releases!

• Administrator

:smile: Thanks guys! :bigsmile:

Yeah, that would be a dream job! Creating new "poster art" for my favorite films. I know that simply Photoshoping the stills that they already have is the cheapest way for the DVDs companies to produce DVD covers. But I think that all of these things are starting to look really generic and interchangeable. Perhaps the added cost of paying me to create these paintings (hardly a big payout! LOL) would be worth the investment if the covers grabbed the attention of more buyers. :angel:

I've always wished that the DVD companies would use the original theatrical poster art for their home releases. But especially when IVL started putting out their Shaw Brothers DVDs. Why not use the poster art? They already have it. It perfectly represents the film. It's colorful and attention-grabbing. Plus, it's sole purpose for existing was to advertise the film, so why not put it to work? Instead we get a postage stamp sized version of the posters on the back cover. (sigh)

I have sent my work to most of these companies, asking if I could be employed in this manner. But so far no nibbles on the hook. I've received some very nice compliments, and employees of some of these companies have purchased my art for themselves as well. But still... :tongue:

Well, Stuntman Jules' T.F. Mou documentary (coming soon) will feature original artwork that I've designed. So that's one guy releasing a movie that's given me the gig! :bigsmile:

Anyway... back on topic. :smile: For those that haven't seen SHAOLIN MANTIS (aka. DEADLY MANTIS), it's a great flick. Starts off a little slow for some, but that's just because it actually has a nicely developed plot. After a bit, the action kicks into high gear, and rarely let's up for the film's remainder. It also features a great cast of actors/fighters! Highly recommended.

I've said this before, but I don't think David Chiang's kung fu has ever looked better, and the sequences of him learning Mantis Style by observing the actual insects is among my all time favorites.

Shaolin Patriot

KF Bob - were you the same artist that sold sketches of some of the SB actors on eBay, some time ago? If so, they were great prints!

I must admit, even though they are designed by the original production company of the film, etc, I don't always like the original poster art design - especially those hand-drawn ones that are often silly over-saturated cartoons, whilst there's others that are bland.

I don't think they have much value in commercial terms as main artwork either, because even if they don't have exaggerated features Western distributors tend to apply, they're still not very flattering (accentuating in their own way), bland (kind-of cheaply and unprofessional) in representing the film and not really eye-catching overall.

If you think about it, I don't know of many Western films with with similarity in designs (because you wouldn't take it seriously).

For the majority of the time, I'd want them re-designed with the originals as a reversible option. Don't get me wrong, artwork has improved a lot since then, just sometimes it doesn't look good enough. When I say commercial in the sense of design, it doesn't necessarily mean photoshopping:wink:.

make believe
Awesome!!! One of my all time favorite movies. I hope it's true bobo. I will be able to throw away my shitty, messed up pic quality, "remastered" Red Sun version that I bought like 3 or 4 years ago at CD Tradepost. Finally!!!

I can finally upgrade from my "Platinum Collectors Edition"

make believe
Didn't say who was releasing it? I hope its one of the better companies.

according to Amazon:

Studio: Weinstein Company

• Administrator
KF Bob - were you the same artist that sold sketches of some of the SB actors on eBay, some time ago? If so, they were great prints!

Yeah, that's me. I still put prints of my art up for auction on eBay. But if you're interested in seeing them again, here are the threads I started for them here on the forum:

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11264

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7068

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8587

I must admit, even though they are designed by the original production company of the film, etc, I don't always like the original poster art design - especially those hand-drawn ones that are often silly over-saturated cartoons, whilst there's others that are bland.

I hear you man. I'm not as big a fan of the caricature designs as stuff like... well, the original SB poster for SHAOLIN MANTIS. I think that poster rocks! (Cue Rogue Warrior to post a photo of it...:wink:)

For the majority of the time, I'd want them re-designed with the originals as a reversible option.

I'm cool with that! I just wish I was the one doing the "re-design". I'm just saying... :tongue:

Yeah, that's me. I still put prints of my art up for auction on eBay. But if you're interested in seeing them again, here are the threads I started for them here on the forum:

:smile:

Wonderful stuff.

I hear you man. I'm not as big a fan of the caricature designs as stuff like... well, the original SB poster for SHAOLIN MANTIS. I think that poster rocks! (Cue Rogue Warrior to post a photo of it...:wink:)

I don't really like that one either:tongue:.

I'm cool with that! I just wish I was the one doing the "re-design". I'm just saying... :tongue:

Cool:smile:.

Do you also do artwork designs that aren't drawn (based on real original production images)?

• Administrator
:smile:

Wonderful stuff.

Do you also do artwork designs that aren't drawn (based on real original production images)?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean. I can create something based on either reference photos or sculptures, or from my own imagination too. Is that what you meant?

make believe

I just checked out a few of your prints. That's some pretty damn cool artwork I must say.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean. I can create something based on either reference photos or sculptures, or from my own imagination too. Is that what you meant?

I mean like Media Blasters do with their Shaws (using real images).

• Administrator
I mean like Media Blasters do with their Shaws (using real images).

Oh. Yeah, I can. But there's not much fun in it. I'd be happy to play cut and paste for a paycheck though. :xd:

Wow, those are some outstanding designs man! Do you have a gallery/store or is this all just a hobby? Because I'd definitely buy some posters from you if your selling!!

• Administrator
Wow, those are some outstanding designs man! Do you have a gallery/store or is this all just a hobby? Because I'd definitely buy some posters from you if your selling!!

Thank you!

Nope, don't have a store.

Yes, I am selling. The prices and info for ordering can be found right in those linked threads brother. Please PM me if you want to get some. :wink:

That is good. Well done brother.

Thanks man!

This subject should only be in "market" threads though- sorry- my bad! :crossedlips: Didn't mean to hijack the thread. :angel:

mistertpitydafoo

If I had art skills as good as yours, I would make a cover for them and send it in to demonstrate my skills. Sign some paper work offering that they can use it for small compensation or they can use this one for free if they will sign you to do the next 2-3 covers for pay. That might be your way to get your foot in the door. Offer if they dont' like it they dont' have to buy it and they shouldh ave nothing to lose and you lose nothing other than your free time :)

Archived