Highlander (2025) Henry Cavill; to be directed by Chad Stahelski

AlbertV

Dark Horizons reports:

"Fast and Furious" director Justin Lin and producer Neal H. Moritz are re-teaming for the upcoming remake of cult classic "Highlander" for Summit Entertainment.

In "Highlander", after centuries of dueling to survive against others like him, Connor MacLeod, an immortal Scottish swordsman must confront the last of his kind, a murderously brutal barbarian, who lusts for the fabled Prize.

Summit's film will expand on the original Highlander's core mythology and according to the press release the plan is very much to "spur a new franchise for the studio".

Art Marcum and Matt Holloway ("Iron Man") are penning the script while Peter Davis will also produce.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1

Ah! Flogging a dead horse till its a mushy red puddle on the floor, sucking what's left of it up in a syringe, extracting its DNA, cloning it, growing it to a full-size horse again, decapitating it and sticking the head in the bed of the original rightsholder, then flogging that dead horse again for old time's sake. The life of a Hollywood producer is never dull.:wink2:

bamboo spear

I'm sick of all the remakes, but I'm actually excited for this. I've always wanted to like The Highlander, but the choreography was just so bad that I couldn't believe that these were swordsmen that had been killing each other for centuries. Maybe the new film(s) will be a little better.

I grew up with the first one, but when the second one came out I was in high school, and damn was it awful! Three was better, but pretty much a rehash of the first one, didn't care for the fourth one, haven't seen the latest one or the anime.

I'm sick of all the remakes, but I'm actually excited for this. I've always wanted to like The Highlander, but the choreography was just so bad that I couldn't believe that these were swordsmen that had been killing each other for centuries. Maybe the new film(s) will be a little better.

I grew up with the first one, but when the second one came out I was in high school, and damn was it awful! Three was better, but pretty much a rehash of the first one, didn't care for the fourth one, haven't seen the latest one or the anime.

In my opinion, the best parts of the Highlander franchise were the original film (seemingly released everywhere on blu-ray BUT in the US), and the series (NOT "The Raven"). Pretty much all of the sequels of the film have been tough to stomach ("Endgame" is the only one I've truly enjoyed at all). I've yet to see the anime, but I've read good things... and the "animated series", I'd much rather forget about.

At this point, unfortunately the only way to salvage the franchise is a "reboot"... but of course, it could be a complete disaster. Hell, there was SUPPOSED to be a PS3/Xbox360/PC game, which looked promising, but the company developing it went under... ugh...

Highlander... there really could only be one :sad:

I actually like the director so I have some hope for this movie but at the same time remakes have such a terrible track record. I do love the original, the sequels not so much.

They've chosen a new director for this.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=81987

And I must echo bamboo spear's sentiments on this. I loved the original but never really was impressed with the swordplay. With so many sword styles in existence, this would be an excellent format for showcasing them in the choreography. That would be sweet!!!!!

I grew up watching Highlander and it was one me and sister's favorite shows. The first movie was

also really good, so if they intend to remake it, they either do it justice or they should leave it

alone. I am tired of Hollywood destorying parts of my childhood( Example, G.I Joe and

Transformers movies).:khi4f:

• Like 1

I agree the original film's fight choreography leaves plenty of room for improvement but two things will be near impossible to match, music by Queen and Clancy Brown's memorable performance as the lead villain. Of course, if they're smart they will at least reuse "Princes of the Universe" and not use some crappy remix or cover. A lot of action remakes of late have fallen far short of any expectation.

VEJ8lpCQbyw

Massive update since the last post on this thread:

The reboot is still happening...Justin Lin is out, VFX effects expert Cedric Nicolas-Troyan will now be helming the reboot.

The new Connor MacLeod will be played by....okay, we don't known yet. Tom Cruise is being scouted for the role originated by Sean Connery, the mentor of Connor MacLeod. The major news came yesterday is that David Bautista is being offered the role originated by Clancy Brown...yes, the former "Animal" may be playing The Kurgan himself!

This is exciting. Guardians of the Galaxy put the stamp on Bautista's career. However, while many might not like "Wrong Side of Town", to see a pretty good acting performance by the former WWE superstar, I recommend "House of the Rising Sun" (based on the novel by Chuck Hogan, whose novel "Prince of Thieves" was adapted into Ben Affleck's "The Town").

• Like 1

DragonClaws
21 hours ago, DarthKato said:

I still see no point in this. The first movie was fantastic. 

Henry Cavill has now on board in Christopher Lamberts role?, for the up-dated version.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Henry Cavill has now on board in Christopher Lamberts role?, for the up-dated version.

And Chad Stahelski is directing the film, I'm guessing after John Wick 4 which begins shooting this summer. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Oh, I'll defiantly watch it since I'm a fan of Highlander.  I'm just going in cautious(and with low expectations), due to how good the original is. 

• Like 2

Chad Stahelski announced that Highlander will be his next film and Henry Cavill will play Connor MacLeod in what is being described as "John Wick with swords" and will have a $100 million budget. In addition, they will be using the songs from Queen for the new take on the franchise.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/highlander-reboot-to-retain-queen-songs/

After Highlander, Stahelski will most likely do Ghost of Tsushima as the script is nearly complete. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

In addition, they will be using the songs from Queen for the new take on the franchise.

After Stahelski's magnificent tribute to The Warriors in Wick 4, I expect great things from this.  Gimme the Prize!