Tracing Shadow (2009)

June

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Amazing Psycho Per

I don't have much good to say about it. It's a comedy and the humour probably works best on a local audience while some might be lost in translation, because I didn't think it was funny at all. Then again, it went straight to video in Hong Kong... Make what you want of this. Decent fights, with 90's kung fu movie's vibe to them. They are short and there are not a lot of it. That's about all there is to say from my part. Pretty forgettable stuff imo. If you must, then watch it, but definately don't buy the DVD.

From the video clip it doesn't look all that bad, but that was just a small clip of the movie, still might want to give it a watch.

The Amazing Psycho Per

The clip shows probably the best fight of the movie...and the longest one. It's really more a silly comedy then an action movie. Something with the ratio fight/comedy along the lines of a Lucky Stars movie, but where the fight are nowhere near as good. The core of the movie consists of the broad comedic romence with Jaycee Chan who's in love with Francis Ng's adopted daughter, and the stupid mayor of the city who's in love with Francis Ng's girlfriend. With that you've got like 50minutes of the movie. The rest are jokes about how the three thieves look like Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Andy Lau. The remainding few minutes are fights. Like I said, it's just really not worth paying for watching it, even hardly the bandwith.

Guest Markgway

I see this came out on DVD in HK on Sept 25th (according to DDD House). Did it bypass a HK theatrical release altogether?

I know it was released theatrically in China on July 30th. Less than two months later it hits HK home market.

You would expect a film starring Francis Ng and Jaycee Chan to get a theatrical release.

I found it quite disappointing.

If you like 90's wuxia comedies, check out the recent "On His Majesty's Secret Service" instead. The fights look good, even if it's mostly wires and doubles.

Guest Markgway

Not too surprised this went DTV in HK given that it bombed at the Chinese box office by making only $0.73m (on its opening weekend) against a $15m budget.

Ouch.

Archived