Jeon Woo Chi: The Taoist Wizard (2009)

AlbertV

Coming out this December, Korea is getting a new superhero based on a legend of a warrior. Here is that I got at Twitch:

Korean history buffs might have encountered the name Jeon Woo-Chi at least once. During King Jungjong's reign (early to mid 16th Century), Jeon worked as a bottom-feeder official in one of Hanyang's administrative offices, after which he retired from his post to spend the rest of his days in Songdo (today's Gaeseong, North Korea). Sounds pretty ordinary up to that, doesn't it? Thing is, Jeon gained notoriety in Songdo as a Taoist priest, with legends recounting of his turning boiled rice balls into white butterflies and plenty of other peculiar feats. Sure enough, the stern Neo-Confucian mores of the government couldn't possibly allow this, so he was imprisoned for trying to inveigle people with his black magic, prison where he consumed his last days. What is even more peculiar is that, when they headed to his ad-hoc tomb to exhume his body, his relatives could only find an empty coffin.

The film, directed by Choi Dong-Hoon (The Big Swindle), is going to be a modern day superhero tale. Volcano High's Kwon Sang-Woo plays the titular character and co-stars include Im Soo-Jung, Kim Yoon-Seok, Baek Yoon-Shik, Yeom Jung-Ah and Yoo Hae-Jin.

Photo from Twitch:

jeonu-thumb-600x389-12012.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Korean 2-disc Limited Edition is scheduled for release 29-APR and is currently available for pre-order.

What little word I can find about the movie is mostly positive. The S. Korean box office was quite good. I'd say it's probably worth a blind buy as long as your expectations are reasonable.

It's crap. Good start, fades badly and by the time it ends, your counting how many little hairs you have on your left eyebrow.

WOOCHI: THE DEMON SLAYER

When a dark lord obtains the secret to unimaginable power, an elite army of shape-shifting goblins threatens to destroy the world, as we know it. However, just when all seems to be lost, a great warrior-wizard, named Woochi, travels through time to fight for the future of all mankind Crammed with "plenty of action and excitement (Beyond Hollywood)", Woochi the Demon Slayer is a "romping fun-packed fantasy adventure (Twitch)" that will thoroughly entertain you from start to finish!

Here is the trailer:

That's what I'm saying everyone's taste is different, not everyone is going to like the same movie. I'll post my review after I see it.

Well Go USA releases Woochi The Demon Slayer on DVD in the US on April 9th. OK, it certainly isn't a great movie, not even a good one, but I'll buy this because it was fun, and when I want to watch it again, it will be better on DVD than in 10-minute segments on Youtube, where I forgot to use the cc button until the last 5 minutes.

Recently watched this for the first time, for this months mutual reviews thread. Anyone interested in my rambings, can click on the link below.

fullsizephoto103760.jpg

Unfortunately Ill have to agree with biozombie on this one. I expected a sort of action like Detective Dee x Kundo, instead it felt more like a generic hollywood blockbuster, or the Chinese equivalent. The demons make some total of 5 minute or so screentime, which kind of baffled me.

If I had known this was a comedy beforehand I wouldnt have picked it up. Not only that but the sense of humor displayed in the film I found pretty cheap. 

Archived