The Marine II (2009)

AlbertV

Hey guys,

I was watching the DVD of X-Men Origins: Wolverine last night and I was surprised when I saw a preview for a sequel to the 2006 John Cena action flick The Marine. There wasn't much story in the preview, so I went to IGN and replacing Cena is Ted DiBiase (the son of wrestling legend Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase).

Dibiase plays Joe Linwood, a Marine sniper who while off-duty goes with his wife, a PR executive for a company, to a resort. The plot ends up becoming somewhat like Red Wolf, where a dinner party becomes hijacked by a band of pirates and Joe must use his military skills to take out the terrorists.

The film is directed by Roel Reine, who directed Steven Seagal's film Pistol Whipped and the stunts are coordinated by Panna Rittikrai protege Seng Kawee (aka Kawee Sirikhaneerut).

Looks decent for a STDVD release. Coming out December 29.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest WuxiaFan
Hey guys,

I was watching the DVD of X-Men Origins: Wolverine last night and I was surprised when I saw a preview for a sequel to the 2006 John Cena action flick The Marine. There wasn't much story in the preview, so I went to IGN and replacing Cena is Ted DiBiase (the son of wrestling legend Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase).

Dibiase plays Joe Linwood, a Marine sniper who while off-duty goes with his wife, a PR executive for a company, to a resort. The plot ends up becoming somewhat like Red Wolf, where a dinner party becomes hijacked by a band of pirates and Joe must use his military skills to take out the terrorists.

The film is directed by Roel Reine, who directed Steven Seagal's film Pistol Whipped and the stunts are coordinated by Panna Rittikrai protege Seng Kawee (aka Kawee Sirikhaneerut).

Looks decent for a STDVD release. Coming out December 29.

I for one loved THE MARINE! I had never seen John Cena in anything and I'm not into WWE, but I thought Cena was just ass-kicking awesome! Also, Robert Patrick (TERMINATOR 2) was just the coolest villian - perfect for that role! Without Cena for THE MARINE II, I can't see them capitalizing on #1's success. But I'll be interested to see how it does!

Got around to seeing it last night.For one, the story was inspired by the true story of a resort taken hostage by a terrorist regime. DiBiase was actually really good as the film's hero, somewhat embittered by the actions of his last mission. The film only suffered a bit from the typical overdose of close ups and quick cuts during the action with the exception of one fight scene pitting DiBiase against two Muay Thai expert terrorists. The did quite a few long take/quick cut edits that showcased a dose of stunt coordinator Seng Kawee's choreography, even paying homage to Kawee's mentor Panna Rittikrai with the all too "double drop kick between three people" but shown at regular speed instead of slow motion like Rittikrai tends to do in his films.

The supporting cast were not too bad, Temuera Morrison played a decent villain in the leader of the mercenaries and Michael Rooker was pretty good as an ex-Army Ranger who gives assistance to DiBiase's Joe.

I'd say compared to Cena's THE MARINE, this is just as good if not just a 1/2 notch better...definitely good for a B-movie (straight to DVD) action film.

Straight to DVD is a thing where they will do sequels to anything.

WWE Films financed a 3rd installment of Behind Enemy Lines, the original that starred Owen Wilson and Gene Hackman. "Behind Enemy Lines: Colombia" was directed by Tim Matheson (yes, Otter from Animal House) and starred WWE superstar Mr. Kennedy.

Archived