I just inadvertently stumbled across this...

gonzotheking

<<You can skip this first part if you want it's just me kind of introducing myself and it's boring .>>

First off, I'm new here. Well... I mean that's not entirely true, I'm not new to Asian cinema as I've been collecting DVDs for many years and I've actually I've been lurking for the last few months. I did try to post a few times but something was wrong with my account and I couldn't post, I guess I just hoped the problem would fix itself and just went on lurking. None of the posts I wanted to make were really important so I was content to just let my voice go unheard. But, today I stumbled across something that interested me greatly and I thought would interest you as well so I started a new account just to make this post. I am a collector of all the kinds of films discussed on these various sub-forums here but I have a particular affinity for samurai films and I am always excited to hear about a new legitimate English friendly release. Well, it appears there may be a new company entering the fold...

<< Read from here on for the important stuff>>

I was searching youtube for samurai movie trailers just for fun I guess (I'm weird) I searched for "Kenji Misumi" as I am a fan of his films and I know there are many that have no legitimate release here and I was hoping to see trailers for those films. When the search came back one of the first results to show up was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThDXlNochsw. A trailer in and of itself isn't that exciting but the info for this indicates that there is a company called Neptune Media which is going to release this film on region 1 DVD. A link to the company's website is also included: Neptune Media . I am not familiar with the film but the trailer intrigued me and the info indicates it is Kenji Misumi's last film and it certainly something I want to own/see.

My enthusiasm is a little guarded because the website isn't as professional as I'd think it should be, although it could just be a temporary one. The history section indicates they released some Gamera films on VHS and laser-disc some years ago but I was too young to be aware of them at that time. I hope that this company is not a bootlegger and I hope they plan to release more films.

Can any of the users here can shed some light on this and allay or confirm my fears?

Thanks,

Gonz

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well 1st. off welcome to KFF gonzotheking... As far as Kenji Misumi I myself am a very big fan of his work. I have that film the last Samurai Excellent movie with the age of the Samurai ending the and move to Westernise Japan into the new era. I haven't watched it in a long time but from what I remember it was a good movie. I got it from one of the Fansubbers, cannot remember which one. But If this new company is legit then I will support them and look forward to so e new releases coming from them...

But If this new company is legit then I will support them and look forward to so e new releases coming from them...

daisho,.. i love you man,.. but why do feel the need to support so-called "legit" companies,.. these companies are as much pimps and pushers of other folks art than any joe-smoe from the bricks.

in regular english,.. no one owns the rights to these films but the companies who made them and their actors,.. japan do not even like sharing much of their culture with the USA,.. they are right to assume ,.. we won't get it,.. appreciate or show much respect for it.

i know this because they do not release some of their most quality stuff when it comes to video games,.. definatly movies,.. even anime ,.. they refuse to translate or have any english subtitles for certain games , movies or anime.

i do not blame them ,.. but please understand kuro,.. may do us a wonderful service ,.. and i buy from them,.. but they do not own the rights to these films they are selling,.. none of the sites do,.. that's why they are public domain. so is there truly a "legit" company,.??? ... i'm not even sure animego is,.. i remembered they were considered a bootleg company years ago,.. they specialized in mainly anime ,.. now they expanded greatly to other things.

now this Neptune site ,..lol has 1 movie ,..lol and it's one we all have "remastered" already.

you know i respect you,.. but you must understand ,.. just because you are loyal to these companies ,.. does not make them feel your any special than the next joe smoe with $20 in his pocket,.. THEY JUST WANT YOUR MONEY

i'm sorry ,.. i just respect the quality bootleger who works hard to give us what we like ,.. sorry ,.. i love them ,.. because without them ,.. there will be price gouging and many monopolies taking advantage of us. because of them,.. these companies must lower pricing or speed up production,.. or get this ,.. GIVE US WHAT WE LIKE AND ASK FOR.

just another loooong winded rant from good ole dajizzarizza

DAJIZZARIZZA: Don't get me wrong! I'm a big supporter of Merlin & CK & also John over @ Far East Flix's for all there hard work they put into subtitling and getting remastered prints of these Great Japanese TV Series & Movies. But there is always the Haters who will crush these Guys to the Ground!

DAJIZZARIZZA: Don't get me wrong! I'm a big supporter of Merlin & CK & also John over @ Far East Flix's for all there hard work they put into subtitling and getting remastered prints of these Great Japanese TV Series & Movies. But there is always the Haters who will crush these Guys to the Ground!

wow,.. people hate on these guys ? why ?

cause their banking $$$ from us ?

hey i do not mind spending cash ,.. cause GOD KNOWS ,.. i get way too much free.

and when my frugal ass shell out,.. it's going to be for a reason.

ok,. kuro customer service sucks GREATLY!! but ,... he do come through with gems and i never once been ripped off. i just spent $162 over there,.. sent him e-mail for a possible discount,.. cause i wanted to buy double what i purchased,.. but he did not even respond,.. but that's ok ,. he is an ASS ,.. but he has great stuff and he is not a crook.

you can't have everything,.. and i know this,.. that's why i keep dealing with him.

and he did a awesome thing for the Genre,.. i wish other sites gave Kuro some kudos and or thank yous for doing for that industry a huge thing,.. i know off the top of my head 3 sites who sale these movies are making a living because of kuro.

so yes i have somewhat respect for him,.. i'm just hurt he does not have a reliable team to help him with customer care,.. it would send his sells to another level.

but brother i will not hate on these guys,.. but there is just no legit distributers of japanese movies here ,.. atleast not yet,.. or not that i know of.

take care

Neptune Media is a legit company. The guy who owns it lives in Japan. He has held the rights to this film for some time now. He was partnered with a friend of mine although I'm not sure he still is because of the length of time it was taking to get the film and everything together.

i just spent $162 over there,.. sent him e-mail for a possible discount,.. cause i wanted to buy double what i purchased,.. but he did not even respond,.. but that's OK ,. he is an ASS ,.. but he has great stuff and he is not a crook.

Yeah sometimes its hard to get a discount! But Merlin over @ Samuraidvd.com gives you a discount if your on his mailing list which is Great.

Guest WuxiaFan
Yeah sometimes its hard to get a discount! But Merlin over @ Samuraidvd.com gives you a discount if your on his mailing list which is Great.

I'll have to get on his list! :wink: Daisho - you always have good info to share - thanks, bro!

WuxiaFan: That's what we're all here for to share info. And I'm glad we got some new members who love the Samurai Genre on here as well.

Archived