Kid With The Golden Arm - Media Blasters

clayk

Richard York

DEADLY DUO was a good test run for Shaw BDs and it turned out nicely (the interlacing on the David Chiang/Ti Lung interviews was due to the quality of the source material). I think after 11 official DVD releases, the company has the process down pretty well. I wouldn't worry too much about progressive issues at this point, both DVD and BD.

I do, however, recall that a couple of the upcoming titles' masters were NOT anamorphic (no memory what they are at the moment) and we were going to explore the "blow-up" method. After the comparatively negative response to THE MASTER (our first non-anamorphic master), we were going to run some tests to see how much the blow-up would affect the quality. We wanted people to be able to fill their screens without losing the subs via zooming on their widescreen TVs. I have no word on the progress of this but I'll see what I can find out, though I can't make any promises.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do, however, recall that a couple of the upcoming titles' masters were NOT anamorphic (no memory what they are at the moment) and we were going to explore the "blow-up" method. After the comparatively negative response to THE MASTER (our first non-anamorphic master), we were going to run some tests to see how much the blow-up would affect the quality. We wanted people to be able to fill their screens without losing the subs via zooming on their widescreen TVs. I have no word on the progress of this but I'll see what I can find out, though I can't make any promises.

Uh oh... well, an anamorphic upconvert isn't that bad in standard definition, if done right. Yeah, the transfer on The Master wasn't bad, but when zooming in on a widescreen TV, the subs were chopped off. Wonder which titles they are though. I know Chinatown Kid shouldn't be one, as the IVL disc was anamorphic.

It's more than just an English Dub.It's being released in the U.S and it's getting recognition and more fanbase if it isn't already happening.. The general public will be able to discover gems like this and maybe even more releases from the Shaw brothers film vault.. It's only encouraging to buy this dvd and supporting shaw brothers film...

Very good point....

Very excited about Heroes Two Blu ray release, i have the dvd and thats great the Blu sounds even better. Will they be region free?...i dont understand why they would be region locked when there is a huge fanbase outside of America.

CHEAP REGION FREE BLU RAY PLAYERS..HERE

Killer Meteor
DEADLY DUO was a good test run for Shaw BDs and it turned out nicely (the interlacing on the David Chiang/Ti Lung interviews was due to the quality of the source material). I think after 11 official DVD releases, the company has the process down pretty well. I wouldn't worry too much about progressive issues at this point, both DVD and BD.

I reccomend making any titles anamorphic and carefully adjusting the sharpness and contrast to make the picture hold up. Don't forget that some TV have really poor zooms, and frankly non-anamorphic isn't really a good option. All the French and Dutch Shaws were anamorphic and look ok, even the titles that only existed on non-anamorphic.

Killer Meteor
Uh oh... well, an anamorphic upconvert isn't that bad in standard definition, if done right. Yeah, the transfer on The Master wasn't bad, but when zooming in on a widescreen TV, the subs were chopped off. Wonder which titles they are though. I know Chinatown Kid shouldn't be one, as the IVL disc was anamorphic.

I suspect Lion Vs Lion is one of them. Also, IVL started doing anamorphic transfers from non-anamorphic masters, and at first goofed badly with edge enhancement and so on.

In general, I find Shaw titles benefit from turning down the brightness on my monitor, which brings out more detial. The DVDs tend to be too bright at times.

It's been a privilege to work on these titles and to have come to this forum and read your positive responses, as well as taking your suggestions to heart and apply them to improve our titles wherever possible.

Thank you!

I hope, despite the lateness of some of them, you feel that they've been worth the wait.

If it means a better product, I'm all for it:bigsmile:.

DEADLY DUO was a good test run for Shaw BDs and it turned out nicely (the interlacing on the David Chiang/Ti Lung interviews was due to the quality of the source material)

Interlacing on interlaced-shot content's fine:smile:. The issue on this one was the embedded artifacts on David Chiang's featurette.

Uh oh... well, an anamorphic upconvert isn't that bad in standard definition, if done right. Yeah, the transfer on The Master wasn't bad, but when zooming in on a widescreen TV, the subs were chopped off. Wonder which titles they are though.

Yeah, if something's going to be non-anamorphic widescreen, it's definitely best if the subtitles are readable should the display be zoomed.

I know Chinatown Kid shouldn't be one, as the IVL disc was anamorphic.

'The Master' was anamorphic, but it turns out all IVL did was upconvert that.

Morgoth Bauglir

English dub sounds good, though I've only listed to about a minute of it:tongue: No real extras other than an easter egg I found, stills and one of those new trailers. Stills gallery includes pics of the Panmedia releases:neutral:

Got it at Suncoast.

Stills gallery includes pics of the Panmedia releases:neutral:

Didn't that happen on another release as well?:squigglemouth:

Got it at Suncoast.

Thank God, we can all rest!:bigsmile:

Richard York
Didn't that happen on another release as well?:squigglemouth:

It didn't "happen" it was intentional. Personally, I enjoy seeing documentation of a film's home video release history, regardless of its legitimacy or lack thereof.

Morgoth Bauglir

It didn't "happen" it was intentional. Personally, I enjoy seeing documentation of a film's home video release history, regardless of its legitimacy or lack thereof.

I was just being picky. When I see something that has to do with Panmedia it always gets me a bit heated. Panmedia is not liked around here by most forum members, and for good reason. The other boots I don’t mind seeing in the stills gallery, like Groundzero. That was back when boots were ok in my mind. I don’t know how else I would have watched these movies. Panmedia was around then too, but they are taking the booting too far these days.

BTW thanks for your hard work on these releases. I’m loving this DVD!

One more thing. Do you think you can help me out with the other easter egg? I found the trailer on the features, but what about the other version you were talking about? -

there are two versions of the film. The main feature is the recent Celestial remaster, the one considered to be out of sequence. The "hidden" feature (which isn't that hard to find) contains a re-edit of the sequence in question which many are familiar with via previous video releases, available in both English and Mandarin with English subtitles.

The way I see it, the Celestial remaster has it the way it was meant to be seen.

Richard York

yeah, but the panmedia version of KWTGA is absolutely disgraceful and unwatchable. Panmedia deserves no special attention or promotion because they give the films a bad name with extremely poor quality. They are the ones stealing your companies sale because boots are cheaper. They are the ones that are deceiving customers, and they are the ones that are helping to shut down legit distributors.

I agree that the Panmedia version is pretty terrible (and legally dubious). However, its release is a part of KID history and therefore warrants documentation. This was a determination that I stand by. Plus, I seriously doubt the inclusion of the cover in the gallery of the LEGIT release is going to "promote" Panmedia's release.

Not to come off as (overly) cavalier, but if some customers can't tell the difference between a legit release and a bootleg, then they probably care less about these films than companies like Panmedia do and deserve what they get. Anyone buying a crappy bootleg isn't a lost customer for Media Blasters (or DD or whomever). It is my opinion (and please treat it as nothing more), bootleg buyers aren't interested in quality or legitimacy and therefore were never our customers to lose. However, if they ever get around to doing their research and start caring (particularly after eyeballing their shitty bootleg), there's potential to gain them. But all in all, it's really just one of the primary hazards of the DVD business, particularly those dealing in legit classic kung fu, and totally unavoidable.

@Morgoth:

The Easter Egg for the alternate edit is on the main menu. Hit the left button (I think) until it highlights the title. Hit enter.

Morgoth Bauglir

The Easter Egg for the alternate edit is on the main menu. Hit the left button (I think) until it highlights the title. Hit enter.

The truth is many buy panmedia without knowing the whole story, many think that's just the way the film looks.

Like me when I first started buying them. I thought they were great. But I knew something was up when I started noticing various problems with some of the discs like freezing, inaudible sound and unwatchable picture quality:mad:

Well, if this thing is at the surviving Suncoasts, that means FYE should have it... and I'll be there tomorrow! WOO! Worst case scenario, and they don't have it, I'll go to the one lone Maryland Suncoast near where my girlfriend works and check there.

Well, if this thing is at the surviving Suncoasts, that means FYE should have it... and I'll be there tomorrow! WOO! Worst case scenario, and they don't have it, I'll go to the one lone Maryland Suncoast near where my girlfriend works and check there.

I went to my SC outta curiosity after work today, and they still looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language when I asked for it...

I hope my order shows up by tomorrow, after watching USA whip England tomorrow. I would love to watch it :tongue:

Jackie Fhan

Yeah I hope deepdiscount comes through since it was only 10 dollars. I'd pay more, but paying cheaper prices means I can get other movies :)

Amazon now has it for "pre-order", saying it'll be there June 15th... *sigh*, I just want the damn DVD now :tongue:

Richard York
The truth is many buy panmedia without knowing the whole story, many think that's just the way the film looks. If someone spends their hard earned cash on these films they obviously care enough, there is no instruction booklets because these bootlegs are sold side by side with legit releases and people are buying them and collecting them. I find it pointless to advertise or even show the face of a panmedia release.

I hear what you're saying. I'm sure whoever takes over subsequent releases won't go to the trouble to include these covers anyway.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Yes! Yes! Yes! Watched this last night. Awesome! The eng dub is remastered and it sounds and looks great! Well worth the wait. Tokyo Shock is great! I'm very very happy with this release.

FYE HAD IT! YAY! FINALLY!!! However, unlike other times they've had Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock SB DVDs, they only had one copy... well, none now :tongue: Haven't had the chance to watch it yet, but I'm sure it's just as great as the other MB releases. Now, here's hoping the blu-ray of Heroes Two doesn't get delayed.

OpiumKungFuCracker

115088147-d88f758fed4986a13bc86a9dddc645b0.4c151ca0-scaled.jpg

Got my copy this weekend as well... Can't wait to pop this sucker in the player along with Brothers Five, Invincible Shaolin, and Kid golden arm!!!

FYE HAD IT! YAY! FINALLY!!! However, unlike other times they've had Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock SB DVDs, they only had one copy... well, none now :tongue: Haven't had the chance to watch it yet, but I'm sure it's just as great as the other MB releases. Now, here's hoping the blu-ray of Heroes Two doesn't get delayed.

awesome man! finally your luck has turned! i remember you having to wait way to long on some of these last releases!:cry:

awesome man! finally your luck has turned! i remember you having to wait way to long on some of these last releases!:cry:

Yep, seriously! But I suspect this won't be the last time Media Blasters officially delays something, only to turn around and UNofficially delay it further. After all, KWTGA was initially a December release. So, all said and done, it took basically a half a year from its first release date to finally come out. Oy.

instead of calling these Enhanced version, they should call it 30 plus year anniversary edition, i wouldn't mind that. Got my copy in, courtersy of Borders bookstore

Archived