Kid With The Golden Arm - Media Blasters

clayk

Fang Shih-yu
I don't like double dipping either. At this point, if a regular DVD looks good upconverted on my blu ray player, I'm not bothering with buying the blu ray disc.

KFS

Also, if the Blu-ray's bonus material duplicates the DVD's, there's no need to "trade up", especially as nice as The Deadly Duo looks upconverted! Compared to the DVD version of any release I'm interested in, if MORE extras are added to the BD, the choice is obvious as to which I'm more likely to get! There'll always be exceptions (The Delightful Forest)!:angel:

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jackie Fhan

I hate double dipping, I have done it enough. I hope more movies get released at the same time on dvd and blu ray. I know it is asking a lot in a way (since many movies arent even on dvd) but hopefully sales of these movies are picking up. I honestllyu don't know how well they actually end up on the sales chart (I k now they aren't all that popular at wal mart, but hopefully with the online community the way it is now the sales are a lot higher than they were during the vhs days etc what do you guys think? Either way, I have double dipped enough on so many movies from dvd to blu ray and will do it a little more for movies I truly like (lotr, star wars, matrix, shaw) But, honestly upscaled dvds don't always look that bad when compared to a dvd that is an old movie. Hell, a digital movie like EP 3, looks better than an old movie on blu ray usually.

Has it actually been relased? Anyone seen or have a copy yet?

I emailed Amazon asking why they are attaching the old bootleg DVD reivews from 9 years ago to this new relase. I thought the many one star "Dont buy this bootleg" reviews might turn people off to the new relase. They just don't care. Pretty sad.

Has it actually been relased? Anyone seen or have a copy yet?

I emailed Amazon asking why they are attaching the old bootleg DVD reivews from 9 years ago to this new relase. I thought the many one star "Dont buy this bootleg" reviews might turn people off to the new relase. They just don't care. Pretty sad.

Funnily enough, I thought the same recently.

Review sharing is good for a plot, but not when you're talking about the product itself.

They really ought to correct that, as it's off-putting to all parties.

I'm the same way in regards to getting "the very best". However, since I'm also a collector, and those damn DVDs have spine numbers on them, I can't help but fall prey to buying the DVD version to keep the collection going :xd:

Damn those spine numbers...they love to mock me and make me get them in order!! :tongue:

OldPangYau
Damn those spine numbers...they love to mock me and make me get them in order!! :tongue:

Eh, that's the funny thing, I don't usually get the urge to get them in order, just as long as I get them all. But since I already have the first 10 MB SB DVDs (abbreviation, HO!!!), I'm basically going in order now... once I can find the damn DVD of KWTGA!!!

Eh, that's the funny thing, I don't usually get the urge to get them in order, just as long as I get them all. But since I already have the first 10 MB SB DVDs (abbreviation, HO!!!), I'm basically going in order now... once I can find the damn DVD of KWTGA!!!

Yeah I hear you. I'm missing Black Magic 2 and it's not totally killing me but when I see the numbers on the spines skip one.........:cry:

also I'm all for abbreviations!!! MB SB DVD of KWTGA!!! I can't wait!!

OldPangYau
also I'm all for abbreviations!!! MB SB DVD of KWTGA!!! I can't wait!!

You got me beat on that one :wink: I hope we get an update soon on the "whereabouts" of KWTGA. I was compeltely bummed when I got to FYE and it wasn't there :cry:

No work as of yet.

I want to check out FYE to see if they got it in this week....but I hate leaving there bummed.

OldPangYau
No work as of yet.

I want to check out FYE to see if they got it in this week....but I hate leaving there bummed.

I checked them yesterday, and no luck... however, it's now in the system as "back ordered" as opposed to getting the answer of "oh, it looks like we're not getting it at all" that I got before. Guess it's a matter of waiting on Media Blasters... again...

Morgoth Bauglir

Yep, we are probably waiting on Media Blasters. I can't find a single copy on Amazon or Ebay, which means it's very unlikely that you'll find it in any stores.

Jackie Fhan

Yeah today is dvd day, so if it isnt out anywhere today guess well just check the online shops till next week.

OldPangYau

I really just wish Media Blasters would only announce release dates for DVDs once they're 100% certain they know they can get them out on those dates. I've lost track of how many times this has happened lately. As much as I want to see the Heroes Two blu-ray, it'll probably also go "MIA".

Morgoth Bauglir

It'll probably be a long time before hkflix gets Golden Arm in. They still have HK Godfather listed as pre-order:squigglemouth:

OldPangYau

I checked Amazon and it still says "not in stock". I might give FYE a call tomorrow, thought I doubt they'll have it yet.

The Silver Fox

I know there is a good chance I'll get flamed for this but... KWTGA isn't really that great of a movie IMO. I consider it a lesser effort in the Chang Cheh/Venoms cycle. I put films like The Daredevils,Magnificent Ruffians and Rebel Intruders well above it as far as choreo and fighting.

It has a sort of iconic status and the end fight is pretty much worth the price of admission, but still nothing worth getting bent out of shape over. Why not just buy the IVL and be done with it? The only reason I can see waiting for MB version would be the dub and/or some sort of OCD regarding the IVL transfer which 99% of viewers would find acceptable. End of thread crap.

Morgoth Bauglir

This is my second favorite Venom movie behind Shaolin Rescuers. The fights are good, but I agree it’s not one of the absolute best for the choreo. Lo Meng is just so cool in this one. Also lots of other entertaining characters. I’m going to get it for the dub, and I’m also interested to see if there’s any special features.

OldPangYau
Why not just buy the IVL and be done with it? The only reason I can see waiting for MB version would be the dub and/or some sort of OCD regarding the IVL transfer which 99% of viewers would find acceptable. End of thread crap.

It's a matter of waiting for the best edition. Sure, I could by the sped-up PAL-to-NTSC interlaced transfer with Mandarin only and next to no extra features... but I'd rather buy the version that runs at the proper film speed, have options for both Mandarin and English, and probably have some decent extras... possibly even the original Hong Kong trailer, which many of the IVLs were missing.

Plus, for those of us collecting the Media Blasters DVDs, it would seem odd to suddenly go from "#10" to "#12" in our collections.

The Silver Fox

Yeah, I see your point. If I had all the other MB releases it would probably drive me mad if I was missing one. As it stands, I only have Heroes Two,The Master and Ten Tigers from MB. Very solid releases but the 5 Element Ninja fiasco soured me a little bit on this company.

The pragmatist in me has definitely won over the compleatist and I'll not have dodgy release dates dictate my DVD buying habits. If there is an acceptable version available, I'm buying it.

OldPangYau
The pragmatist in me has definitely won over the compleatist and I'll not have dodgy release dates dictate my DVD buying habits. If there is an acceptable version available, I'm buying it.

Nothing wrong with that :smile: It's all about having options... but Media Blasters needs to make their option obtainable!!! They have a bad habit in general, not just the Shaws, of delayed releases. However, it seems like the Shaws are exclusive to having delays with no new official release date... unlike, say, the blu-ray of Ichi The Killer, which always had announcements for its delays. The Shaw releases lately have been a case of "eh... they'll be out sometime after this date".

Excuse my ignorance..

"the 5 Element Ninja fiasco"

I was planning on ordering this soon...what am I in for? :|

Archived