Help need titles

Alexandra

Hello

I am searching korean movies of the genre wuxia (or eclectic wuxia), fantasy or epic, in the line of Shadowless Sword, Bichunmoo, The Restless, A Frozen Flower, Arahan, etc. Please help me with titles!!! I am lost!!! Thanks!!!

Alexandra

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here you are: Musa, Blood Rain, The Gingko Bed & The Legend of Gingko, Legend of the evil Lake, Sword in the Moon, Devine Weapon.. :smile:

Someone mentioned Blood Rain already but I'd just like to say how much I enjoyed this movie, though don't expect an action movie as it's more mystery with horror shadings. Definitely worth picking up.

Here you are: Musa, Blood Rain, The Gingko Bed & The Legend of Gingko, Legend of the evil Lake, Sword in the Moon, Devine Weapon.. :smile:

Thanks a lot! Keep posting titles! (or is variant in another languages ugh!) A person gave me a name: "The king and the clown", seems in the same line of my interest, huh?

Alexandra

You're welcome, Alexandra! :smile:

I recently saw Saulabi. It's a sort of korean-japanese crossculture mixture, but I did't like it. The story is confusing and the actors...

Sorry, I haven't seen The king and the clown yet, but I read an abstract of that movie and it seems to fit.

The King and the Clown isn't in any way wuxia, its just a very good period drama - both funny and tragic. And if you like that then maybe also try Forbidden Quest and Untold Scandal, the latter being a Korean version of Dangerous Liaisons.

Another nice period mystery movie is Shadows in the Palace. Emphasis is on the female characters and there are some supernatural overtones, if I remember correctly.

Another nice period mystery movie is Shadows in the Palace. Emphasis is on the female characters and there are some supernatural overtones, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, I forgot about that one, its very good up until the rather unnecessary supernatural elements take over. It reminded me a bit of The Name of the Rose. IIRC its not just female characters to the fore but also the behind-the-camera staff were also predominantly female. It was filmed on the same palace sets as The King and the Clown, and is beauifully shot and lit.

Thanks for the titles! I love specially Shin Hyeong-Joon and I will love to get Gingko Bed... :tongue: Hope I can get some of these titles!

Alexandra

Thanks for the titles! I love specially Shin Hyeong-Joon and I will love to get Gingko Bed... :tongue: Hope I can get some of these titles!

Alexandra

Hey, Alexandra, Shin Hyeong-Joon is one of my favorites, too! I like him wearing dreadlocks in The Shadowless Sword! What a wonderful portrait of a very very bad guy..! :angel::bigsmile:

By the way, Shin Hyeong-Joon has also got a small role in Once Upon a Time in a Battlefield, that movie, I already mentioned!

...and he is really great in The Gingko Bed, too!

Hey, Alexandra, Shin Hyeong-Joon is one of my favorites, too! I like him wearing dreadlocks in The Shadowless Sword! What a wonderful portrait of a very very bad guy..! :angel::bigsmile:

By the way, Shin Hyeong-Joon has also got a small role in Once Upon a Time in a Battlefield, that movie, I already mentioned!

Hello

The hairstlyle that Shin Hyeong-Joon wore in Shadowless Sword was absolutely fabulous. And the tone of his voice he used, slow, quiet, menacing, whispering some times, is amazing. He really built a character of a dark, bitter and bad person. I have not get yet The Gingko Bed. I saw him in Face, another genre of course, thriller and suspense, and he is great.

Alexandra

The Silver Fox

I just received my 2 disc,Region 3 Korean 'Blood Rain'. I really enjoyed the movie . I like films that have a mish- mash of genres, a little horror,mystery,thriller,with really cool period costumes. The plot had some nice twists, I got lost in a couple of the flashback sequences but everything made sense in the end.

There are others names for Once Upon a Time in a Battlefield? I can't find it. :cry:

Thanks

Alexandra

There are others names for Once Upon a Time in a Battlefield? I can't find it. :cry:

The Korean title is Hwang San Bul (or Hwangsanbul according to IMDB). I think the Korean DVD is out of print but there's a Thai DVD still available.

Oh friends

With lot of sacrifice I got some korean heroic style and historical drama movies, my personal cinematographical genre devotion, and I have my list here:

- The Divine Weapon: absolutely astonishing, amazing, splendid. The historical record of the lethal machine called Sin Gi Geon was reproduced very well in the script.

- Musa: yes is a co production but... someone in the script in my opinion failed. Is remarkable the detail about the native tongues spoken in the different clans there, like mandarin, mongol, korean and other mixture between jurchen/mongol/manchu. That worth the pain really, my two cents for the writers. Zhang Ziyi not convinced me at all. I adore Ahn Sung-Kee as actor so I will be subjective hahahha! The plot is a little boring, circular, with not lines of tension visibles between the General, the Slave Warrior and the Princess. Technically good one, but with some weakness.

- Sword in the Moon: really interesting. Some stereotypes but a good one.

- Shadows in the Palace: phenomenal, the acting of these women is remarkable. The script is fantastic. A tremendous drama, better to say, a tragedy, deserved the awards won.

- Bichunmoo. Some failed in the whole stuff. Is a good one and I love Shin Hyeong Joon, but some of the melodrama inserted on the script ruined the development of the protagonist as heroe.

Still trying to get more movies and the worst nightmare for me are the korean soap opera, I can't get them here, only buying in USA or Europe so I will see.

Recommendations? Welcome. Critics? Welcome

Alexandra

Still trying to get more movies and the worst nightmare for me are the korean soap opera, I can't get them here, only buying in USA or Europe so I will see.

Recommendations? Welcome. Critics? Welcome

Alexandra

If you are looking for some recommendable series, Alexandra, check out the following ones:

Mawang aka Lucifer (crime series at its best!)

Green Rose (crime series with a very convincing villain!)

Coffee Prince (romance, about all kinds of relationsships, very honest story telling)

Iljimae (very good comic adaption)

Legend (fantasy, story about a very famous legendary king)

Hong Gil Dong (genre mixed, experimentil, something very different)

I did't see Kain & Abel yet, although it stars Shin Hyeong-Joon, an actor we both like! :bigsmile:

If you are looking for some recommendable series, Alexandra, check out the following ones:

Legend (fantasy, story about a very famous legendary king)

I did't see Kain & Abel yet, although it stars Shin Hyeong-Joon, an actor we both like! :bigsmile:

Thanks Betty

I choose The Legend because is my taste, historical background or fantasy or wuxia.

Concerning Cain and Abel, you can watch some episodes in YouTube, and Shin Hyeon Joon is formidable and we love him!

Thanks

Betty Pei Ti

@Alexandra, and again you're welcome! :smile: Good choice, I think you'll enjoy this series - speaking of The Legend, although I must say, that Bae Yong Joon was a little bit stiff thus emphasizing his godlike role. :wink:

In the meantime I have also seen the following series:

Chosun Police (like a CIS-Series but it takes place in the Chosun Aera, nice group of investigators, very likeable)

Damo (centers a tough female detectiv being torn between two men)

Painter of Wind (about a famous female painter who crossdresses in order to be successful)

The Grand Chef (about a famous korean restaurant, some very talented chefs, its a little bit similar to a roadmovie because one of them is travelling around in Korea.)

In the meantime I have also seen the following series:

Chosun Police (like a CIS-Series but it takes place in the Chosun Aera, nice group of investigators, very likeable)

Damo (centers a tough female detectiv being torn between two men)

Painter of Wind (about a famous female painter who crossdresses in order to be successful)

The Grand Chef (about a famous korean restaurant, some very talented chefs, its a little bit similar to a roadmovie because one of them is travelling around in Korea.)

Aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii :khi8g:

I want have the chances to watch all of them!

Thank you for the info!

Alexandra

Archived