Possible Donnie Yen/Tony Jaa collabo!!!

DiP

Won't work.

Donnie Yen has stone faced expression.

Donnie Yen fights with wires.

Ugly combination. Yen would only do it as he sees Jaa making an Impact it has taken him 2 decades to establish. Get that fanbase.

Blah

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Won't work.

Donnie Yen has stone faced expression.

Donnie Yen fights with wires.

While you might be right, I don’t see this as being altogether bad. I feel Donnie Yen can adapt. While he may choose to use wires in places, he is excellent at hand to hand combat. His choreography looks stunning. Tony Jaa may be miles ahead acrobatically but I can’t see why the two couldn’t find a choreography suiting both of them. Plus, Yen’s acting and typical stone-face may be getting slowly pushed to the side as he stars in more and more projects.

I’d still like to see what the two oft hem can do together.

While you might be right, I don’t see this as being altogether bad. I feel Donnie Yen can adapt. While he may choose to use wires in places, he is excellent at hand to hand combat. His choreography looks stunning. Tony Jaa may be miles ahead acrobatically but I can’t see why the two couldn’t find a choreography suiting both of them. Plus, Yen’s acting and typical stone-face may be getting slowly pushed to the side as he stars in more and more projects.

I’d still like to see what the two oft hem can do together.

I agree, there's room for both styles, it be like back in the day when you had a great acrobatic martial artist and a more hard style grounded martial artist, take the movie Knockabout where Yuen Biao and Beardy studied two differnt styles that suited their abilities. A great fight that comes to mind is in Marco Polo when Kuo Chui and Johnny Wang Lung Wei have it out.

Jaa had some interesting projects floating around for a while after Ong Bak 2-3, who knows what will happen, I think it be cool if Yen heads to Thailand.

I agree, there's room for both styles, it be like back in the day when you had a great acrobatic martial artist and a more hard style grounded martial artist, take the movie Knockabout where Yuen Biao and Beardy studied two differnt styles that suited their abilities. A great fight that comes to mind is in Marco Polo when Kuo Chui and Johnny Wang Lung Wei have it out.

Jaa had some interesting projects floating around for a while after Ong Bak 2-3, who knows what will happen, I think it be cool if Yen heads to Thailand.

I agree that definitely could work and wouldn't it be fantastic to see a Donnie Yen film with more action and less drama for a change! A true action film.

Regardless of whether this pans out or not I will be eagerly anticipating the next Tony Jaa movie(s). Although it would be great if he could manage to release one movie every year.

wouldn't it be fantastic to see a Donnie Yen film with more action and less drama for a change! A true action film.

I prefer to call it "more action with well-balanced story and drama". That's what makes a movie completely great and enjoyable, as opposed to watching a badly-made movie where you have to wait (or fast-forward to) from action scene to action scene. The whole "action junkie" mentality has grown old already so action movies should also adapt to the way you also make stories good for any other genre.

One Armed Boxer

I am always weary about how these `dream` match-ups turn out, I remember many years ago people would talk about how exciting it would be if Jackie Chan & Donnie Yen ever squared off against each other.

Then they did in Shanghai Knights, and it was pretty much an anti-climax (regardless of weather the extended cut makes it better or not), then like a gift from the heavens they were given another chance to fight in the Twins Effect 2, and it was a Hong Kong production...what could go wrong? I guess everything, as it made the fight from Shanghai Knight look like kung-fu gold.

There are other examples...Jet Li versus Mark Dacascos springs to mind in Cradle to the Grave, it should have been a classic.

So...Donnie Yen versus Tony Jaa, if it never happens, it might not be to every ones loss. If it did, I have to say I would like to see it choreographed by Panna Rittikrai.

I prefer to call it "more action with well-balanced story and drama". That's what makes a movie completely great and enjoyable, as opposed to watching a badly-made movie where you have to wait (or fast-forward to) from action scene to action scene. The whole "action junkie" mentality has grown old already so action movies should also adapt to the way you also make stories good for any other genre.

I have to disagree I think there's room for both types of movie one that is action heavy but doesn't have to be badly made. And also a well balanced story, good drama with good action as well can make a good movie in a different way.

I love good drama, hell I watch tons of it but in my personal opinion I don't really call the drama in Donnie yen's films S P L and Flash Point that great. Sure they're both very well-made movies, very good production values and all-round better made films but I don't find the quality of drama riveting. Again I stress in my opinion but I would have enjoyed Flash Point for example more with an extra two or three action sequences.

Now I know I'm talking about TV drama but shows like Rescue Me, The Shield, The Unit, Dexter, Spooks and countless other TV shows feature truly great drama, gripping and entertaining without real quality action.

Ip Man is a better example of good story telling mixed with action and for me I enjoyed it more because of a good blend. However, sometimes you just feel in the mood for an all-out martial-arts action movie. You can forgive its basic story, minimal drama because it delivers plenty of thrilling action sequences, martial-arts, stunts etc that just leaves you breathless. Movies like this are few and far between but celluloid gold.

While people enjoy a quality made martial-arts epic with story and production values there will always be people who also want a stripped down, turbocharged thrill ride.

There are other examples...Jet Li versus Mark Dacascos springs to mind in Cradle to the Grave, it should have been a classic.

To be fair the Jet Li versus Mark Dacascos showdown never had a chance with Jet Li injured, which is why the film is so bad. You can see it's been reworked to give that rapper a bigger role because Jet couldn't perform. You can clearly see he only uses one-arm for most of the picture. Otherwise I'm sure the film and in particular that fight with Mark Dacascos would have been a whole lot better.

But I get your point

To be fair the Jet Li versus Mark Dacascos showdown never had a chance with Jet Li injured, which is why the film is so bad. You can see it's been reworked to give that rapper a bigger role because Jet couldn't perform. You can clearly see he only uses one-arm for most of the picture. Otherwise I'm sure the film and in particular that fight with Mark Dacascos would have been a whole lot better.

Wow I always thought that was Jet Li's fighting style in the movie :bigsmile:

One Armed Boxer

I wasn't aware of this either, and haven't been able to find any info about it on the net...could you let me know more details, I'm interested to know the story!

To be honest I thought it just boiled down to the crappy director, Andrzej Bartkowiak, who seemed to have a thing about casting a popular martial arts star and teaming them up with DMX, Tom Arnold, & Anthony Anderson...he did it first with Steven Seagal in 'Exit Wounds'!

He seems to have broken the habit now and made....errrr....'Streetfigher: The Legend of Chun Li', someone should tell this guy to give up.

I actually just noticed Johnny Nguyen has a bit part in 'Cradle 2 The Grave', I'm happy to see he's gone on to better things!

I wasn't aware of this either, and haven't been able to find any info about it on the net...could you let me know more details, I'm interested to know the story!

To be honest I thought it just boiled down to the crappy director, Andrzej Bartkowiak, who seemed to have a thing about casting a popular martial arts star and teaming them up with DMX, Tom Arnold, & Anthony Anderson...he did it first with Steven Seagal in 'Exit Wounds'!

He seems to have broken the habit now and made....errrr....'Streetfigher: The Legend of Chun Li', someone should tell this guy to give up.

I actually just noticed Johnny Nguyen has a bit part in 'Cradle 2 The Grave', I'm happy to see he's gone on to better things!

I'm trying to remember where I heard about the Jet Li's injury. I'll check the DVD extras if I can find it in my unpacked DVDs.

However the reworking theory is mine since DMX takes has as much of a leading role if not more than Jet Li. Given jet's injury it seems highly likely they have to make changes and I doubt DMX would have had so much to do otherwise .

I'm trying to remember where I heard about the Jet Li's injury. I'll check the DVD extras if I can find it in my unpacked DVDs.

However the reworking theory is mine since DMX takes has as much of a leading role if not more than Jet Li. Given jet's injury it seems highly likely they have to make changes and I doubt DMX would have had so much to do otherwise .

I've checked my cradle to the grave DVD and it doesn't appear to be in the extras about his injury. I'm sure I saw a video clip, possibly with Joel Silver although I'm not sure, and its mentioned that Jet Li has his arm strapped against his body after suffering some injury to his arm or shoulder. To be honest I'm buggered if I can remember where I saw it.

The same reason Yen decided not to stay hollywood is the same reason Jaa should stay far east as possible. Yen and Jaa are stars to this genre in their own right.

BTW, I thought the fight with yen and Jet Li in HERO despite how brief it was.

One Armed Boxer
I'm sure I saw a video clip, possibly with Joel Silver although I'm not sure, and its mentioned that Jet Li has his arm strapped against his body after suffering some injury to his arm or shoulder.

Wow, if that's true then I'm amazed at how little respect Hollywood gives to such talented martial arts stars. Tony Leung Chiu-Wai broke his arm during the filming of 'Grand Master'...did they decide to adjust the movies fight scenes so he could just fight with one arm!?

Of course not,..they gave him time to recover so they could continue shooting the scenes as they were meant to be shot! Even bringing in a double, which Jet Li is no stranger to, would have been more respectful than having him fight with one arm strapped to his body!

Archived