Possible Donnie Yen/Tony Jaa collabo!!!

DiP

Donnie Yen and Tony Jaa to Collaborate in 2010?

Recently, Raymond Wong has stepped down as the chairman of Mandarin Films to set up his own film studio which is teaming up with Mainland investors to produce a modern actioner at around HK$150m in mid 2010. The film will be directed by Ringo Lam. Donnie Yen and Tony Jaa are being invited to star in the film and they would have a series of fights.

Raymond Wong hopes to unite the two international screen giants despite the high fee of US$3m (HK$23.4m) commanded by Tony Jaa, "I'll talk about the new firm at a later date. It'd be great to have to the two appear in the same film, but I'll only talk about it when things are finalized."

Donnie Yen's currently filming Wilson Yip's Ip Man 2 with Sammo Hung, Fan Siu Wong and Huang Xiao Ming. He recently fainted on the set due to fever and over-exhaustion. He has been discharged from hospital and would resume filming in a day or two.

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/702-Donnie-Yen-and-Tony-Jaa-to-Collaborate-in-2010.html

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HHmmmm. Don't know if this will ever happen, I'll believe it when I see it. Donnie Yen is still a good Martial Artist but he is no longer in his prime. Where Tony Jaa is dynamic with his acrobatic skills and martial arts. If this ever happens the egos will clash on the set. I guess we have to wait and see.:neutral:

Donnie Yen is still a good Martial Artist but he is no longer in his prime.

Far from it. Aside a few long-lasting injuries, he hasn't lost it and is still in great shape and condition. Just when you thought he would eventually lack behind in everything after doing SPL and DTG, there he was doing Flash Point proving everyone that even middle aged martial artists can maintain the condition, form, power and speed they perfected back in the days. You wanna talk about people passed their primes, let's talk Jet Li, Jackie, Sammo and Yuen Biu.

.........and Donnie Yen. :bigsmile:

If not doing the kind of movies as back in the days (which is for the better anyhow) then yes, but in terms of condition and performance, no. :wink2:

donnie yen was never in his prime

Please don't get me wrong here, I like Donnie's work. But I always felt his best stuff was under the watchful eye of Yuen Woo Ping, Ching Siu Tung, etc...

I personally don't like his style of fight choreography, although SPL was a kick ass film but lets not forget who was also on that set (Sammo). It's a damn shame he finally hooked up with a good director in Wilson Yip late in his career. But when Donnie was younger he did make a lot of bombs (Cheetah on Fire, Circus Kids, High Tension, Ballistic Kiss, Shanghai Affairs) he was in his prime then. To hear he is planning a retirement is really hard to accept when he could have done a lot better in his career.

It's a damn shame he finally hooked up with a good director in Wilson Yip late in his career. But when Donnie was younger he did make a lot of bombs (Cheetah on Fire, Circus Kids, High Tension, Ballistic Kiss, Shanghai Affairs) he was in his prime then. To hear he is panning a retirement is really hard to accept when he could have done a lot better in his career.

You can argue on that but at the same time you can't blame him for not doing better or more in the past. It's too complicated. Back then, he was mostly called for supporting roles and was therefore not considered a box-office draw. Nobody took notice and, on top of that, big companies didn't like to take risks on making action movies and putting action/stunt performers that were otherwise unknown to the majority. Also, action movies in Hong Kong went through alot of changes as a result of new waves of genre movies that took over the market resulting the worst period for action movies and action performers (apart from some of the major ones, of course) and less stakes on that genre. The reason why he's everywhere now is because of many factors: changes within the market (the film technology, the audiences' preferences, new talent etc... Everything has evolved and changed throughout the years) perhaps being the most crucial.

Jet is done with MA flicks, Jackie show no interest in them anymore, Sammo is close to being done, and Donnie has his retirement planned out which leaves us with a void dying genre.

Wu Jing? He needs to make better movies but has the skills IMO

Tony Jaa is great but takes too long making movies, 3 years between films is no way to become a legend at this rate he will only be making another 3 movies before turning 40!

There are some good talents out there just not it seems working in Hong Kong which is a damn shame but heres hoping that the likes of Wu Jing, Fan Siu Wong and Nicholas Tse can keep the delivering the goods.

Well, I suppose the worst thing that could happen if these two met up would be another Forbidden Kingdom. Speaking of Thai cinema, if Tony Jaa flounders, Dan Chupong or even MIke B. could step it up.

the actors from Champions and Wushu are really talented as well....deff. show potential...

Again, I think Jackie should do a "New Drunken Master" and take some1 like Tze Miu and use him as the Fei Hung role...and have JC play Sam the Seed...Jackie is still good for a whole lot, and somthing like that will help create a new martial art star

Same with Jet Li, he could do one more movie and play a master role...

Sammo is attempting now,which is good...I believe he really has helped Wu Jing some aswell

Update courtesy of Twitch

As reported last September, we're not exactly dealing with a confirmed deal, particularly as none of the major Chinese portals have an entry for the film yet, but Raymond Wong's dream HK$ 150 million project 急先锋 (Vanguard) is creating more buzz, and going even more insane with potential casting shenanigans. You knew about the possibility of Donnie Yen and Tony Jaa cooperating for this, but now the producers are upping the ante, saying that they're going for Korean star Song Hye-Gyo (who was supposed to work in a few John Woo projects before they went belly up) and Prison Break's own Wentworth Miller as well.

The film would start shooting next April, and will have a budget of over 100 million yuan (about $14 million). Originally, the project was slated for a late 2009 shoot, but Yen's several projects got in the way, finally pushing principal photography to next spring.

So... there you have it. Donnie Yen, Tony Jaa, Song Hye-Gyo, and Wentworth Miller, together in the same film. They sure have a fervid imagination, but I've seen crazier things happen...

Update courtesy of Twitch

As reported last September, we're not exactly dealing with a confirmed deal, particularly as none of the major Chinese portals have an entry for the film yet, but Raymond Wong's dream HK$ 150 million project 急先锋 (Vanguard) is creating more buzz, and going even more insane with potential casting shenanigans. You knew about the possibility of Donnie Yen and Tony Jaa cooperating for this, but now the producers are upping the ante, saying that they're going for Korean star Song Hye-Gyo (who was supposed to work in a few John Woo projects before they went belly up) and Prison Break's own Wentworth Miller as well.

The film would start shooting next April, and will have a budget of over 100 million yuan (about $14 million). Originally, the project was slated for a late 2009 shoot, but Yen's several projects got in the way, finally pushing principal photography to next spring.

So... there you have it. Donnie Yen, Tony Jaa, Song Hye-Gyo, and Wentworth Miller, together in the same film. They sure have a fervid imagination, but I've seen crazier things happen...

I have to admit I am unfamiliar with that Korean star but personally I find it extremely strange of the idea of having Wentworth Miller in an Asian martial-arts projects starring Donnie Yen and Tony Jaa. Although I really hope the Donnie Yen/Tony Jaa collaboration happens whether it's this project or another.

Out of curiosity is there any details on this potential project should it happen?

it'll not happen with all the big names but probably 2 of them. egos will stop it kind of like red cliff all the names talked about

Well, in an interview with Hunan TV that was transcribed on Wu-Jing.org, Donnie Yen was interviewed about 14 Blades and the final question that popped up involved the possible collaboration with Tony Jaa.

Heard that you're collaborating with Tony Jaa and there would have a decisive showdown?

Donnie Yen: Indeed, there's such a plan, director Stanley Tong and Raymond Wong are helping me invite Tony Jaa, I hope they'll succeed, but can't divulge the details.

Guest Yi-Long
Well, in an interview with Hunan TV that was transcribed on Wu-Jing.org, Donnie Yen was interviewed about 14 Blades and the final question that popped up involved the possible collaboration with Tony Jaa.

Heard that you're collaborating with Tony Jaa and there would have a decisive showdown?

Donnie Yen: Indeed, there's such a plan, director Stanley Tong and Raymond Wong are helping me invite Tony Jaa, I hope they'll succeed, but can't divulge the details.

Gawd I hope Tony Jaa stays as far away from Stanley Tong as possible, unless it's to deliver him an 'Ong-Bak' straight on his nose...

Tony Jaa in a Stanley Tong movie :squigglemouth:. Yeah it could be worse, but not much...

Stanley Tong is out of the question. There were news reports that he, Donnie and Tony would make a movie together but the whole thing was misleading, and later Tong denied and said (other than him offering Donnie a part, which he's still thinking about) the movie he's planning had nothing to do with the one by Raymond Wong. I believe Tong is just helping, nothing more.

Wilson Yip and Peter Chan are the guys for Donnie's projects at this point. I hope either of them get the directing gig.

No news yet. Highly doubt that's gonna happen though, I don't see the reason for Wong to approach Lam when he already has a director (Wilson Yip) who draws.

Archived