Favorite last era shaw films.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I don't know what years would be considered the LAST era of Shaw Brothers films.

Lets say 1979 to 1984. Correct me if I am wrong.

I have noticed a lot of these films got kinda cheesy with special effects. For the most part I personally found most of these new additions (special effects) very annoying. How about you?

So what films of this last era of Shaws would you say are the best.

Which ones are solid kung fu movies without the special effects.

Thanks,

GD Y-Y

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.To Kill A Mastermind-1979

2.Shaolin Abbot-1979

3.Fist of White Lotus-1980

4.Redezvous with Death-1980

5.Shaolin Prince-1982

6.Human Lanterns-1982

7.The Trasure Hunters-1982

8.House of Traps-1982

9.Legendary Weapons of China-1982

10.GangMaster-1982

11.Kid from Kwangtung-1982

12.My Rebellious Son-1982

13.The Lady Assassin-1983

14.Bastard Swordsman-1983

15.Opium and the Kung Fu Master-1984

16.I Will Finally Knock You Down, Dad!-1984

17.Crazy Shaolin Disciples-1985:27:

4 of my favorite Shaw movies are in this list, so I'd say it was a pretty good era...

Wow for me a lot of my favorites happened during this time. I mean you have many of the Venoms films came out during this time. Many great Lau Sifu movies. It would be hard to post them.

I will say an underappreciated movie from this time period is MONKEY KUNG FU. I have watched this man times since getting it and it always entertains. Ching Su Tung is a great and I wish he would have starred in more movies!!

Still too many great movies to list for me....yeah I'm lazy. :tongue:

BlackLamaFaction

10 Tigers From Kwantung (1979)

Life Gamble (1979)

Invincible Shaolin (1978)

Brave Archer 3 (1981)

Chinese Super Ninjas (1982)

Ode To Gallentry (1982)

Legend Of The Fox (1980)

Masked Avengers (1981)

Eight Diagram Pole Fighter (1983)

I guess these are all Chang Cheh except for the last one. So he had a pretty productive period during this time.

There is a bit of a double-edged sword (as opposed to a deadly breaking sword) when examining this period of SB output. Yes, the films became more set-bound, and the budgets are obviously not what they once were. On the other hand, this is the period of the Venoms, the greater portion of the Lau brothers' output, and perhaps most significantly, the era that I would imagine most of us (Shaw fans in the West) are the most familiar with and for many of us, I think it's fair to say that the latter period of Shaw Brothers Studios provided us with our first Kung Fu film experience.

So, yes, in many ways there is a cheesy aspect to them, and I can see now that in it's pretty obvious that the best days of the studio may have been long gone, but on the other hand, the sheer joy that this period in HK film history, and specifically Shaw Brothers history far outweighs any of the negatives.

There is a bit of a double-edged sword (as opposed to a deadly breaking sword) when examining this period of SB output. Yes, the films became more set-bound, and the budgets are obviously not what they once were. On the other hand, this is the period of the Venoms, the greater portion of the Lau brothers' output, and perhaps most significantly, the era that I would imagine most of us (Shaw fans in the West) are the most familiar with and for many of us, I think it's fair to say that the latter period of Shaw Brothers Studios provided us with our first Kung Fu film experience.

So, yes, in many ways there is a cheesy aspect to them, and I can see now that in it's pretty obvious that the best days of the studio may have been long gone, but on the other hand, the sheer joy that this period in HK film history, and specifically Shaw Brothers history far outweighs any of the negatives.

I think you hit the nail on the head, the production values went down but the KF was peaking, and while I love a golden Shaw epic it comes down to what the modern film makers don't get, it's all about the Kung Fu!

I appreciate great sets and plots worth paying attention to but, there's one reason we are all here, and for the most part it's good choreographed fights. Of course the best of both worlds makes for the best viewing experience:angel:

I do find it a shame during this time most movies were filmed on set, and the outdoor sets became less convincing, it's one of my favorite aspects of Shaw film was their attention to detail, being able to blend an outdoor shoot seamlessly with an indoor one.

For me, the last era was the last few years of the studio. So, somewhere between 1982 and 1985. I think of 1979 as still the middle of the 'shapes' era, slowly moving towards movies that focused on weapons play more than empty hand combat. By 1982, Chang Cheh's film quality was winding down, with most of his main venoms having left, and Lau Kar Leung's output was hit or miss. Cat Vs Rat, Legendary Weapons of China, Lady Is The Boss. I think after Martial Club, his next most consistent film was 8 Diagram Pole Fighter. But that's just me.

Between 1982 and 1985:

Five Element Ninja

I'll Finally Knock You Down, Dad

My Rebellious Son

8 Diagram Pole Fighter

Martial Club

Opium & The Kung Fu Master

KFS

Such good lists already! Good choices. Kungfusamurai has a good point about the years, 1979 was still a great year, perhaps the late summer or autumn of the golden age of Shaw, and hey, 1982 had some great films.

I am a big fan of "Cat vs. Rat", but it does contain some swordplay.

My Rebellious Son

Treasure Hunters

Legendary Weapons of China.....

oh, all the ones listed.

:yociexp100:

Yep, that pretty much sums it up for me. Shaws best days were behind them, but there are still some gems from this era. It's funny, it seems like a lot of "genre" movies go through a similar, 10-12 year golden age. The early 50's to the early 60's was the heyday of the Hollywood western, the late 50's to the late 60's were the best years of Hammer horror, late 50's to early 70's for Japanese Samurai pics (and Japanese kaiju/sci-fi). Not that there weren't good films in those genres before and after their golden age, but they were fewer and far between, it seems.

I don't know what you guys are talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is Shaws' best era imo. What films looked more beautiful & well crafted than say Human Lanterns? Which stories were more powerfully bleak & moralistic than What Price Honesty. Which films were more emotionally driven than 8 Diagram? Which wuxias were more crazily inventive than the likes of Holy Flame or Bastard Swordsman? Which modern days could match the gritty stuntiness of Men From The Gutter? Which films were better acted and dramatic than Tiger Killer?

Come on - Tong Gaai, Lau Kar Leung, Lu Chin Ku, Sun Chung all at a peak.

Kung Fu Instructor

Martial Club

Rendezvous With Death

Five Superfighters

Tiger Killer

Lady Assassin

Master Strikes Back

Gang Master

Shaolin Prince

Shaolin Intruders

Secret Service Of The Imperial Court

Martial Club

Clan Of The White Lotus

Deadly Secret

Young Vagabond - this is great yo, great comedic performances, well paced, good lesson in dispensing with form to improv, great action - don't understand the dislike I've seen for it.

My Rebellious Son

Long Road To Gallantry

Opium & the Kung Fu Master

Lady Is The Boss

Clan Feuds

Masked Avengers

Return To 36th Chamber

Magnificent Ruffians

All the above are top notch, well made & crafted. They stand up to anything from earlier. Give me this stuff over the '60s/early-'70s anyday.

Archived