Toby Russell Interview

Guest Chen Zhen

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cognoscente

Guest Frank Lakatos

Hooooo that was an interesting interview, and it gave me a newfound respect for Robert Tai's movies! Maybe they could give old Wanchaitransient an interview and that would be a real treat! We have to get more of these guys out here and pick their brains.

Frank

Guest Chinatown Kid

Larry Lee was supposedly a very high ranking Black Belt but to me he never seemed to have much charisma and came off as rather dull, about the best he ever looked to me was in Black Belt Karate. Billy Chong was also in that film but played a minor character. Chong has 100 times more charisma than Larry though. :\

Guest Robert Ian Teller

Some of the stuff on Robert Tai was fascinating, I thought his claims about Ching Siu Tung ripping him off were a bit wonky. But this Russel interview seems to confirm some of it.

Guest Chen Zhen

tai is an arrogant man. he was never bound to go far with his "my way or the highway" attitude, hence why he has been absent from the scene for years.

Guest Robert Ian Teller

Yeah it's a shame really, in a historical context his stuff is pretty amazing. Given the time and money (minus the attitude) he would of probably had the chance to make greater films.

Guest Chen Zhen

agreed. tai was always consistent with his fight choreography, he was real good, but i think his ego got the best of him. despite how good his stuff was, it doesnt give him the right to belittle the likes of Ching Siu Tung, Yuen Woo Ping, and other directors who are successful today. id hate to think that Trinity Goes East was the best post-oldskool work hes capable of.

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer

Nice interview, thanks for the link. It's a shame Russell isn't more of a talker, really. Despite being someone with an awful lot of knowledge and experience to share, he's always reluctant and almost tongue-tied whenever he's being interviewed or doing a commentary.

Robert Tai has been making grandiose claims about his contribution to kung fu cinema for as long as I can remember. In the Eastern Heroes video magazine (vol. 2, I believe), he basically asserts that he invented wirework. You can't fault his SB work, though.

I have to admit, I like Larry Lee. He has an unassuming charm; I think he would have been terrific playing lighter, more comic roles.

Guest Atomic Mystery Monster

-Bruce Le is in jail and yet George Tan is free as a bird? I guess there really isn't any justice in the world.

-Speaking of which, how the hell can Toby Russell consider a guy who's repeatedly stolen transfers from him and has hurt the martial arts scene as a friend?

-Godfrey Ho isn't teaching at the Hong Kong film academy anymore? Crap; I can only hope that he's gotten back into directing...

Cognoscente
On 3/29/2007 at 12:17 AM, Guest VonHumboldtFleischer said:

Nice interview, thanks for the link. It's a shame Russell isn't more of a talker, really. Despite being someone with an awful lot of knowledge and experience to share, he's always reluctant and almost tongue-tied whenever he's being interviewed or doing a commentary.

He should write a memoir.

• Like 2