China produces 3D wuxia film

DiP

China Goes 3D with Don Quixote

-- Don Quixote --

Don Quixote, China's first 3D wuxia film with a runtime of 100 minutes, budgeted at 70m yuan, produced by Filmko, directed by Ah Gan, is expected to begin production in Chang'an later this month.

Professional crews are being hired from US and Germany to help in shooting the live-action film entirely in 3D, as opposed to Yuen Wo Ping's True Legend, scheduled for early 2010 release, in which only action scenes are in 3D. Xiong Xin Xin, who provides the action direction, finds filming of action scenes in 3D to be very challenging.

Towards the end of last month, they have already begun filming the trailer at the cost of 3m yuan, with all 40 shots revolving around a manmade volcano crater measuring 14 square km that took 3 months to build. Guo Tao, Huang Bo, Liu Hua would star in the film. Guo Tao will portray the Chinese version of Don Quixote.

The film will be set against the backdrop of ancient Chang'an, whereby knighthood spirit of the original novel is being altered into a more wuxia-esque kind of chivalry.

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/699-China-Goes-3D-with-Don-Quixote.html

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest I Like Elaine

I'll probably never get to watch this in theatres, but the prospect of a wuxia movie in 3-D is intriguing. Since Up (my first ever real 3-D movie- as opposed to those flimsy red blue glasses for Jaws 2 (3?) 3-D), I've been a believer that 3-D is the future.

This sounds good. Don Quixote is a fine plot and the 3D part is a bonus. Hopefully, it comes out great so one day we can have a 3D flying guillotine flick.

Archived