Which is Stronger, Karate or Tiger?

Karlos

Hi all

I was just wondering, does anyone know if there's a copy of this out there other than the FlashLegsRare one?

Thanks!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Yeah, it's great to have a chance to see this in any form. But the dubbing on that print is off by a few seconds, and that really hurts the film. Especially the sound FX during the fights.

So, as Karlos asked, anyone have a different version?

• Administrator
Is the dubbing being off the only problem? If so, that can be fixed.

You bet! Can you fix it brother? If the answer is "yes", I'll have it in the mail to you tomorrow. :bigsmile:

kungfusamurai

I think Vomit Bag video had this, but I don't recall if it was the original japanese audio or english dubbed. I don't believe any of their Japanese audio vids had subs because they were taken from Japanese VHS.

KFS

Shocking Videos is selling it for $20 + $5 s/h (without box art). I e-mailed the guy a while back, and he said it's a decent dubbed copy. The price is kind of steep for something that might turn out to be the same as the FLR one, which is why I haven't ordered it yet.

Here's the link, it's listed at the bottom of the page.

http://www.revengeismydestiny.com/cult_movies_martial_arts.html

I already have the FLK version, I'll take a look when I finish work, maybe something I can do. But no promises, I don't wanna raise hopes and then not be able come through. I'll give it a shot. Fingers crossed.

• Administrator
I already have the FLK version, I'll take a look when I finish work, maybe something I can do. But no promises, I don't wanna raise hopes and then not be able come through. I'll give it a shot. Fingers crossed.

It's too late Kaleyboy- my hopes are raised. Please... don't crush my dreams! :cry:

Seriously, thanks for looking into it. :bigsmile:

Right guys, I've been through my copy with a fine-tooth comb and I can't find any audio sync problems. This puzzled me and the only conclusion I can draw is that your version must be an older FLK one, and maybe Pete jr corrected the audio for later versions. But there were no significant audio issues in mine, nothing more than is the norm for a dubbed movie.

That's very interesting - thanks for looking into it for us, KaleyBoy, it's really good of you to help out, bro.

I've PM'd you! :bigsmile:

• Administrator
i got a German Preview copy in 16x9 2.35 a few days ago, i hope they'll release it soon!

No kidding?

Spannick, does the company putting it out ever include English dubbed audio or English subtitles on their DVDs? :smile:

no kidding. but it will take more time i think than i hoped (the German Dub is great, so i would love a DVD of it!). they HAVE no English Audio for this yet so...

it's a YET unremastered vintage German Cinema Print. no idea if they'll work on it.

but normally they want an English dub on their DVDs, yeah.

I'd definitely buy a good quality DVD of this film, even if it does not have an English dub. I must admit I wasn't a huge fan of the film when I first saw it, but I'll buy pretty much anything made in the 70's that stars Yasuaki Kurata.

Spannick: slightly off-topic I know, but can you tell me if there are still plans to put out German DVDs of Queen Boxer and Hitman in the Hand of Buddah?

Kaleyboy, does your FLK copy contain parts where the dubbing switches to German?

Yes, mate. It's as if they used two dubs. But it's only a few seconds.

the HITMAN DVD is actually finished, but not yet released. QUEEN BOXER is in the works from what i heard.

Thanks, been looking forward to these for a long time, I'm sure they will be worth the wait. Any word on Fists of Vengeance, I know CMV had plans to release it at some point..?

Yes, mate. It's as if they used two dubs. But it's only a few seconds.

Thanks, I figured we all have the same copy. The one they're selling at the site kungfusamurai mentioned (Vomit Bag) is completely in German, so that's most likely the one that was used to piece in the English dub.

In case you guys missed the announcement before...

Toei will be releasing their remastered dvd (no subs of course) in September. Quoting my own post from another board:

Toei September is a Yasuaki Kurata month

Which is Stronger: Karate or the Tiger (武闘拳 猛虎激殺!) (1976)

I've actually seen this mofo on 35mm! And no, this is not Dragon Princess although some websites make the mistake, but a Yasuaki Kurata karate film in which he fights a tiger! Directed by Kazuhiko Yamaguchi (Sister Street Fighter) and of course co-starring Masashi Ishibashi in a villain role!

tu1.jpg

Also coming the same day is another Kurata movie: Bloodfight (ファイナル・ファイト 最後の一撃) (1989)

tu2.jpg

(+ a 2003 film called 黄龍 イエロードラゴン in case someone is interested)

Does anyone know if there will be any projects for Which is Stronger, Karate or Tiger? It would be a shame to pass up such a good opportunity to finally sub a near pristine copy of this film. If anyone knows someone who can sub it, I'm more than willing to pay part of the costs. This is too good a film to just sub with the dubbed script.

Also, does anyone know if the Bloodfight DVD is subtitled in Japanese, as the film was done in English? If so, I hope the subtitles can be turned off when viewing.

I'm hoping Bloodfight will be some kind of alternate cut. Wishful think I know.

It's likely someone will apply the dub to this version of Karate or Tiger; subs are a more remote possibility.

Archived