Secret Of Tai Chi - Any Widescreen Version?

kungfusamurai

kungfusamurai

Has anyone seen this mainland China film as a widescreen DVD? The only version I've ever seen was the Tai Seng, which I think was sourced from Ocean Shores. It's full screen only, and english dubbed, although the singing in the clip below sounds Mandarin. I think it was the first movie with Tai Chi in the title that actually showed Tai Chi being used.

I've always thought the old man in the film kind of looked like Lee Hoi San. :)

b5VK3onTOxc

KFS

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

If nobody here knows you may want to ask on the stunt people site. I think Eric Jacobus reviewed the wide version.

kungfusamurai

Thanks for the information! I'll check out stunt people. Little Dragon, is your copy a customized version (i.e. DVDR), or was it a pressed DVD? If it's the latter, is it under another name?

Edit: Is this the widescreen version being referred to:

51QJG20SDGL._SS500_.jpg

KFS

Thanks for the information! I'll check out stunt people. Little Dragon, is your copy a customized version (i.e. DVDR), or was it a pressed DVD? If it's the latter, is it under another name?

Edit: Is this the widescreen version being referred to:

51QJG20SDGL._SS500_.jpg

KFS

Hi,

I have the Original Pressed Release shown in photo.!...great movie.!...its been a few years since i watched it now,but one of my favorites.!!!

Morgoth Bauglir

Make sure you don't let an English dub stop you from seeing it. The movie's all fights. Doesn't matter what language you watch it in.

I wasn't able to find this on its own (it was out of print), but it was part of the Soul Blade 'Dragon Takeaway' DVD set with Legend of the Drunken Tiger, and Martial Arts Master Wong Fei Hong.

Sadly, the transfer sucks. The image is clear, like on the other two DVDs in the set, but all three have an annoying split second pause in the movement every second. Over and over and over again they just slightly stop or slow down, then go regular speed, etc... It's very jerky. I remembered seeing this type of problem with early DVDs from mainland China or some budget Taiwan companies. My guess is that Soul Blade didn't make the error in authoring, it was the source for their DVD release that had that jerky motion.

Otherwise, I love the film, and it features some of the most brutal fighting action to come out of Mainland China. And of course, love the Tai Chi!

KFS

Archived