Ten Tigers From Kwangtung - Questions

kungfusamurai

That's wierd I'd only seen this one.

51ZO8hl-xlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That was the original cover art and at the last minute it was changed. Not sure why......

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wheat Thin Man
I do not.I would love to get hold of unused material and get into editing table to make my own version.And if possible shoot some own footage:angel:

As it stands now..allright.I still think it`s worth seeing.

I agree that it's certainly not the best Shaw Brothers movie out there, but I think it gets more hate than it deserves; it's a really enjoyable film.

Fist Of Boss
I agree that it's certainly not the best Shaw Brothers movie out there, but I think it gets more hate than it deserves; it's a really enjoyable film.

It`s enjoyable to some degree yes(I have watched it to 5-6 times)....I think it would have worked better if more less known actors featured in 1st half and familiar screen faces in later part...

Fang Shih-yu
That was the original cover art and at the last minute it was changed. Not sure why......

Probably because there weren't TEN "Tigers" on the cover!:tongue: (There are layouts of cover art for DVDs out there more ODD than this!) The final version for this is fine, but even IT doesn't feel right!...

Fist Of Boss
there weren' "Tigers" on the cover!:tongue:

Is there in movie then?Mostly in 1st half we get fu sheng picking fight almost entire cast and then some avenge plot after ti lung has smashed skull of wang lung wei...

I am curious what original concept of movie was but surely it would not be mess like this(although it has some good moments)

Fist Of Boss

Also I may add when saw this 1st time decades ago when saw line-up good guys are going to have was pretty easy to guess this is not going to be great when comes to showdown...

So considering it,end fight was more than what I expected:nerd:

Fang Shih-yu
I am curious what original concept of movie was but surely it would not be mess like this(although it has some good moments)

Considering the movie was completed with framing sequences around the "old" footage (production had been stopped, and the earlier shot footage was temporarily shelved because Fu Sheng broke a leg while working on another movie, Heroes Shed No Tears), this movie is more coherent than that other piece of "salvage work", Heaven and Hell! The original script fo TToK likely did not sustain a heavy rewrite, I feel, in contrast to HaH. Maybe people just hate the fact the framing sequences didn't feature more "Venoms"! Remember: this is ONLY a theory!:tongue: Otherwise, with as low of a budget this film had (and it does show), it's still solid entertainment!

I read in an earlier comment about Meng Fei being grandson of Tam San the 5 tiger--this may well be Tam Ming (Fu Sheng's role) as he created a form called Sam Chin Tit Sin Kuen and there is a relation with Choy Lay Fut there too. As in the film, his family refused him training so he watched a friend of his Leung Kwan-Gwong Dung Tit Kiu Sam performing his creation Tit Sin Kuen (the final form of Hung Kuen) and created an ofshoot, that a variation is included in several different Southern Chinese martial arts-I am learning the Hung Kuen version at the moment.

As for why the movie was halted, I dont think it was injury or Wei Pei leaving-as has been mentioned you can work around that-I think the reason is Chang Cheh realised the movie doesn't make sense,the finished version doesn't make sense anyway, at least not to me, the obvious change in chorographers-from Gangly to the Venoms is TOO obvious.

As for Bey Logan getting involved, I havent seen him since 2000, where he asked my teacher (and his former teacher) to perform a lion dance to promote a screening of Purple Storm, but he has always been dismissive of Shaws in general, and Chang Cheh in particular in his writings, look at his 1995 book Hong Kong Action Cinema for his tiny piece about Chang do-yeen to see his attitude to the most important single figure in H.K cinema history.

I also found it ironic Logan did an audio commentary for Disciples of the 36th Chamber as according to his 1995 book it doesn't exist??? and it was certainly in the bootleg domain long before that!!

This might be the first Kung fu movie I ever saw, back in the day either on NY channel 5 or USA network I think had a Kung fu theater too. Anyway, it will always have a place in my collection cuz of that. For years I made do with the bootleg VHS that was horrible. This DVD is awesome! Any plans for it to be released on Blu?

instant noodles

Very underrated movie but some criticism is justified. "Showdown" Ti Lung+ Tigers vs Wang Lung Wei was so lame coz villains no chance. And storytelling so so..But if you pick separete fights between that "final"( I guess original plan was to have that as final fight?) and after that it has many very good scenes...

Very good end fight and for those who love Shaws seeing this many shaw regular on screen at same movie is bliss...

Archived