Ten Tigers From Kwangtung - Questions

kungfusamurai

kungfusamurai

Right now I'm in the middle of watching the Media Blasters DVD. I'm really enjoying it. I held off getting it until the North American release, so previously, I just had the GZ DVD.

I did a search for old topics, but couldn't find anything that could answer the following:

1. Did the original movie stop filming because Wei Pei left?

2. Was the original story supposed to include the children of the Ten Tigers, or was that done out of necessity? I mean, almost all of the main actors in the film were still making Shaw Brothers films in 1980, so why couldn't they just finish it off?

3. For the original footage, was the fight at the pier supposed to be the actual ending, and they needed to fill out the middle before production was stopped?

4. Tu Lung or Lung Tu comes up as Dick Wei's name in the opening sequence. Is that an accurate translation of his name Dei Wei, or was it his original family name before he changed it to the name we know him as?

5. Isn't it a little weird that there were no big adversaries. I mean, only Wei Lung Wei was fighting them off at the end. Usually Chang Cheh's films featured a somewhat balanced battle between the good guys and bad guys. It seemed like the pier battle was overbalanced on the good guys side in terms of skills and fight power.

6. Anybody find it funny that whenever characters were meeting for the first time in this film, it was an excuse to start fighting. Whatever happened to shaking hands? LOL!

KFS

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is reputedly a controversial film because of the questions you've raised KFS. Someone should be able to provide the answers soon... I'd like to know also. :nerd:

kungfusamurai
It is reputedly a controversial film because of the questions you've raised KFS. Someone should be able to provide the answers soon... I'd like to know also. :nerd:

I've tried googling it, but nothing comes up that talks about the circumstances of the making of this film other than it's two pieces strung together. It's definitely one film that should have had an audio commentary from Bey Logan or someone who could fill in some of the details of it's production.

KFS

kungfusamurai

I finished watching it. Very nice. I like the fighting, even though the story is okay. That mini-venom who hold his own against Wang Li in the restaurant (using the stuff around him to fight) was really good. I don't recall seeing him in any other Chang Cheh/Venom flick. I could be wrong.

In that final battle in the gambling house, what was up with that young guy wearing the blue clothes watching everyone fight? It looked like he was pretending to be a monkey, the way he was perched on the table. He disappears mid way through all the fighting.

I never get tired of seeing Kuan Feng get stuck in the rafters and his head punted like a football. The ending montage is a little cheesy, but the overall flick is decent.

KFS

• Administrator
It's definitely one film that should have had an audio commentary from Bey Logan or someone who could fill in some of the details of it's production.

KFS

I wrote to Bey, providing him with a link to this thread, and asked if he could shed some light on this for us. I know he's extremely busy right now, but perhaps he will find the time to visit us. Think positive kung fu brothers and sisters. :wink:

The film was in production the early months of 1978 after FIVE VENOMS and INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN were put on temporary hiatus. The film was to have utilized several real disciples of kung fu passed down from the real 10 Tigers. FIVE VENOMS, INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN and KID WITH THE GOLDEN ARM eventually resumed production ahead of TEN TIGERS during the year. The film shut down from injuries sustained by Fu Sheng on another film and Wei Pai's sudden departure from the studio. The film resumed again in late December after Chang Cheh returned from Taiwan with Lung Tien Sheng, Chen Hsao Hao and a group of other martial artists that featured as supporting villains usually backing Lu Feng's characters in other venom pictures. Scenes had to be scrapped (such as Lo Mang battling a group of shield wielding fighters) to accommodate the absence of both Fu and Wei and new scenes were shot to salvage what was left. Without a translator, it's difficult to ascertain any other details about the picture.

kungfusamurai

Thanks guys. I hope Bey can also add more. The Wei Pei leaving part makes sense, although, couldn't they just have shot around him and Fu Sheng? It's not like having characters come and go without explanation was unheard of in KF films. Plus, if the pier fight was the actual ending, then Wei Pei's character would have shown up. If you remember the film, his character actually doesn't do that much fighting. He just seems to be one of the bodyguards for Ku Feng's character, along with Dick Wei. Heck, in the pier fight (finale?), almost everyone is just standing around while Ti Lung and Wang Lung Wei get it on.

As far as I know, if they resumed shooting in '79 or '80, everyone except Wei Pei was still at Shaw, so they probably could have resumed filming most of the intended scenes, or just rewrite on the spot.

I remember someone posting promo stills of the movie, and one scene showed soldiers standing on some bridge and it was being destroyed or collapsed. I forget who was busting down the bridge. It was from an unused scene, if I recall correctly.

I would also love to know if Bey Logan knows if there is that extra footage still sitting in a vault? Maybe someone could attempt a reconstruction incorporating more of the missing footage into the movie, or at least putting it as a bonus feature for another release. Maybe Media Blasters could put that on an upcoming Venoms DVD release?

KFS

This thread is one to keep an eye on, there is great information and opinions here about a classic film. Thanks to KFS and Venoms5, and all for the fabulous lowdown. I am chanting that Bey Logan will have a spare hour someday soon to check in.

I have always had too much fun when I watch this film to have noticed the 'disjointed' feeling. I still love watching it, and want to know more of the production saga behind the scenes. The production stories of many of the films would most certainly be fascinating to learn.

This is not off track, though at first glance it may seem to be. I was watching the trailer for "Enter the Whirlwind Boxer" a.k.a. "Prodigal Boxer 2", a.k.a. "Young Hero of Shaolin" (1975). Produced by South Sea Film Co. Hong Kong, it included a title card that said,

"Meng Fei, grandson of Tan San, Cantonese 5th Tiger, and the heir of Tsai-li-fu."

The closest character name from "Ten Tigers" that I can match was Yeung Hung (1) as 'Tieh Chow San'. The Ten Tigers live on. I think it is an amazing tidbit that ties life and cinema together, but it would be an outrageous statement to print on film if it is not true.

"Meng Fei, grandson of Tan San, Cantonese 5th Tiger, and the heir of Tsai-li-fu."

The closest character name from "Ten Tigers" that I can match was Yeung Hung (1) as 'Tieh Chow San'. The Ten Tigers live on. I think it is an amazing tidbit that ties life and cinema together, but it would be an outrageous statement to print on film if it is not true.

It would be nice to think that was true, but didn't Angela Mao's performance in Hapkido or some other film of hers hype the fact that she was some blackbelt in Hapkido? I can't remember if it was exactly that, but from what I understand, it wasn't true at all. That's the problem with marketing that doesn't care to do fact checking, once it's out there, it's out there forever, even if at some later time it's said to be untrue.

KFS

Too true too true! KFS speaks the truth. One can hope anyway that something that cool could be true. Alas. Good point about Mao Ying, so I ran over to HKMD to see if they were making the claim that Angela had a black belt as well, (like the title card said). But here is what they had to say "Mao has been presented with an 'honorary' Second Degree Black Belt in Hapkido in recognition of her work in promoting Hapkido technique to the world, and for being the art's most honorable, heroic, and beautiful female representative." That's pretty cool.

Thanks for the super thread

We now join "Ten Tigers From Kwantung" already in progress.

The article that accompanies these photo's, (not shown), (from scans in the forum, somewhere) states the visit by the members of Parliament is in early August, but there is no year visible in the scan, so it is likely 1978? could it be 1979? (Fu Sheng's accident will happen in September.) The film was released December 20, 1979, that is a long delay, if correct, even if not, ha, which must have affected the flow and mood and direction of the film, it's often very hard to go back to a project after a delay like that, the remaing crew 's energy levels would be completely different. I love this movie anyway, rough spots and all, it is so much fun to watch.

post-1078-144191886308_thumb.jpg

Sorry, CC got a little mushed on the right there.

post-1078-144191886307_thumb.jpg

The film wasn't released until July (or later) of 1980. A color spread of the film in SS from that month features pics that aren't in the final cut of the film. Lung Tien Sheng, Chen Hsao Hou and others didn't arrive in HK until late December of 1979 to begin filming the new portions of the movie.

I remember someone posting promo stills of the movie, and one scene showed soldiers standing on some bridge and it was being destroyed or collapsed. I forget who was busting down the bridge. It was from an unused scene, if I recall correctly.

That was Sun Chien destroying the bridge. I can repost it if you like. Have to do it from home as I'm at the office right now.

The article that accompanies these photo's, (not shown), (from scans in the forum, somewhere) states the visit by the members of Parliament is in early August, but there is no year visible in the scan, so it is likely 1978? could it be 1979?

No, the photo is from August 1978. I scanned it from SS and posted it earlier this year.

10tgr.jpg

Chin Siu Ho was already in HK. He trained opera at Madam Fa's(Chung Fat, Mars, Siu Ho, Chin Kar Lok, Mang Hoi, Tung Wei, Lam Ching Ying, etc). He wasn't part of the Taiwan crew that CC brought back initially(Venoms), or later(Chu Ko, Cheng Tien Chi, Lung Tien Sheng, etc) .

Digging out the magazine, it says Chen Han-kuang, Chen Shu-chi and Chien Hsiao Hao came from Shaw's martial arts training class. Chen Chi-shan and Hsu Wei-chen were recruited by Cheh in Taiwan among others. Unless it's mentioned in the Chinese portions of the article, there's nothing of Chien's being a part of Madam Fa's Opera training camp.

Nice. I've seen these before. I'm going by what is written within the pages of the Shaw's own publication from the time, not what's written on a site about Lam Ching Ying. Maybe the actor did both? Not sure why he would do such a thing, but again, unless it's part of the Chinese text, it only states he came from the Shaw's martial arts training class.

Wheat Thin Man
Just found it at Best Buy, it has a new cover. Maybe its the second printing?

9300918.jpg

I bought my copy last summer and it has that cover, so I don't think it's new.

Wheat Thin Man

Have you actually seen that in a store? I wonder if maybe that one was just a pre-release mock up or something. Either way, I love this movie; I'll have to watch it again soon.

Fist Of Boss
I love this movie
I do not.I would love to get hold of unused material and get into editing table to make my own version.And if possible shoot some own footage:angel:

As it stands now..allright.I still think it`s worth seeing.

I hadn't seen it anywhere, I thought I'd have to order from Amazon. You might be right about that cover not even being printed, its pretty similar to the R3 cover.

Archived