Hey guys, I got new DVD of The Sword today....

Linn1

Guest limubai2000
"unrealistic".

Apparently some fans don't live in reality. Crash released this film, the same Crash that sometimes we wonder if they went bankrupt and disappeared Crash? The same Crash whose idea of remastering means they blew the dust off the print with their own hot air coz they can't afford compressed air cannisters? The same Crash who releases a lot of non-legit stuff?

There is realistic = big company X who has tons of cash and can do just about anything they want to a DVD release should have done X... like DD, Image or Fox.

Then there is realistic = small company Y who barely scrapes along who has very little cash and struggles to get DVDs out the door and sold should have done X... like Crash.

Big difference there. Crash does not have the money to do the kind of complete remastering people are complaining about, they obviously don't have the money to do a lot of what they COULD do to remaster these films. To recognize this fact and appreciate the fact that we hold a MUCH BETTER legit copy of this film in our hands on DVD than we had before is very cool IMHO.

If you're in the "I complain about every release camp" I believe the word used in other parts of the internet is "fanboy", normally with a negative connotation.

And my comment was not directed at you in particular RM, it was a general comment directed at the forum. I buried the hatchet with you a long time ago and outright praised a few things you wrote lately. If you took it personally then you missed the spirit in which it was intended.

I really would hate to be Linn sometimes, it looks to me like he bears the brunt of fanboys who complain so much about these releases and suggest this that and the Easter Bunny when the simple fact of the matter is that Linn doesn't control any of these companies, I'm sure they hear his input coming from fanboys but they don't have the time, money or inclination in some cases.

I guess the root of my complaint here is all the negativity around here lately as noted by another post. I see a thread like this eviscerating Crash who we all know isn't a cash rich company but I see no positive threads about how good the Fusian disks appear to be (thanks for the caps gfan). This forum is getting more depressing by the month, sheesh no wonder I'm moving to China in the fall!!!!! :P

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest iron flag

Since when is it taboo too gripe about something just because we've "seen worse"? I've watched crappy, god knows how many generation, copies with cut off subtitles too. Sounds like the people getting touchy are the ones not complaining! :) If having seen worse is our criteria its not setting the bar very high (especially in this genre!) Gwailo kind of summed up my opinion.

Guest HAZ74

It wouldn't be a bid deal for someone to type the subs out & make a srt file. I edit my subs all the time - change fonts, colors. If its so bad & the movie is raer, it would take much. I'll prolly do it when I get my copy.

Guest The Running Man
And my comment was not directed at you in particular RM, it was a general comment directed at the forum. I buried the hatchet with you a long time ago and outright praised a few things you wrote lately. If you took it personally then you missed the spirit in which it was intended.

Then perhaps it would have been better to either save the comment to a debate that was more in synch with your message, or just make a seperate thread about what you wanted to talk about. Cause see the thing is you posted this in this thread after comments were made specifically about me.

So can you blame me?

everyone here is a fan. But please don't forget were also by definition fanatics as well. We all would LOVE for every company under the sun to do a multi-million restoration to every film. But that can't happen. That said, a subtitle track is something that is very easy to do and not in the same realm as a complete remaster. But then how to do the subtitle track then would come under fire, as we see here. :)

But to be honest, Crash wasn't aware of the import of film at the time they were prepping it, nor did they have the time to really do much prior to it's release. These titles have been pre-sold and have places waiting on them, something that is required when you're doing such a large undertaking as this. When a company can't even send out stills of a film in advance of a release to help identify what the film is, that should tell you the company is working under a VERY fast turn around rate. If a company simply halts production of a title in this situation, and stiffs their stores, there's a good chance when that title comes around again, the stores will pass on carrying it. No matter what the reason it was canceled.

I think part of the issue with some fans hating complaints is that they believe this will turn off other fans,sometimes even the companies themselves, from buying a title, equaling less titles for us all in the long run. This is even more of an issue with a small company that we're nervous may not hold up. I think it must be said, EVERY fan that has seen this movie has agreed it is a good/great film. At the end of the day, when it comes to fans, the film, not the subtitles will always win out. The very fact that many of us have seen FAR worse copies of films, and watched them sometimes repeatedly, bears this out. :)

All of that said, everyone has different standards and expectations. And this is the place to voice them. Partly because the company may read it and note it for future releases, and partly because that's the point of this board, for people to write what they think. If they didn't, and we didn't argue once in a while, it would be pretty bland IMO. And honestly, we wouldn't see any change in the statius quo, so complaining about things isn't the worst thing in the world. As for if I get tired of it, kinda. But I get FAR more tired of companies (not speaking of Crash here) not paying any attention to what people who are their guarantied sale have to say about these releases.

Guest tigerstyles
This forum is getting more depressing by the month

well said! also Asian DVD guide is also getting the same.

Guest The Running Man
We all would LOVE for every company under the sun to do a multi-million restoration to every film. But that can't happen.

Linn, we're going around in circles here. NO ONE in this thread requested such a thing. When it was made clear that this is so far the only print available, that was understood. No one was or has said otherwise.

Just as I have said before, no one's reading anything. Someone sees a compliant and they go over the top complaining about others complaining. After a while it sounds as if they are talking about other things entirely and others who come into the forum and read these replies think that something along those lines is happening when nothing of the sort is going on.

well said! also Asian DVD guide is also getting the same.

tigerstyles, stop acting like a dick.

Linn, we're going around in circles here. NO ONE in this thread requested such a thing.

Nor did I say anyone did. I was speaking in general that "we," fandom, would like to see these all remastered.

Guest limubai2000
tigerstyles, stop acting like a dick.

I don't see how it's my fault that you RM have a defensive personality.

You very elegantly proved tiger's and my point. :P

Guest Lei Kung

It's funny to see how this thread evolved. It almost has a plot. Anyway, I thought for sure that Linn's comment at the end of page 4 was the end, but no.. another twist. Maybe it's time to close this topic.

Guest The Running Man
You very elegantly proved tiger's and my point.

I don't know what point that was, seeing as my comment towards him was because of the almost all the comments he has made both in this and the Asian DVD Guide forums.

Guest tigerstyles

i wonder if some of you guys actualy enjoy the films these days instead of just ripping them apart for faults..lighten up guys

Archived