Hey guys, I got new DVD of The Sword today....

Linn1

Guest morgoth

Wang Yu is pretty awesome in this movie. It may be his best performance.

Subs didn't bother me much and the story is easy enough to follow.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest th33 lightning fists
Worst subtitles I've seen in a while...I got a headache after 15 minutes. How can they call it "digitally remastered"? I'd rather see it raw. Good movie though.

I wonder how one would "digitally remaster" non digital subtiles?

every dvd is digitally mastered. If a company changes anything at all dealing with the way a film looks, it's considered remastered. In this case, they did color correct the print, which is more than most companies do when adding the remastered tag. Considering what they had to work with, it's a good job IMO.

Guest The Running Man

Hey Linn, did you get to check out the other releases from this line? I know they have at least one other DVD out which I saw at a store not too long ago.

Guest iron flag

I realize they are burned in subs :| I was just expecting better (like removable or whatever) The picture looked great, just those white subs on white blow. Luckily the movie isn't that hard to follow.Now that I think of it SatCM was also remastered and the subs were bad too.

Guest tigerstyles

just got my copy along with Enter the Dragon HD,.. yeah

will watch this afternoon. looks mint..kinda like the old burnt in subs authentic style

Guest Knetan

hey,

indeed, tigerstyles. Doubt there should be any problems with this one. Seen far worse, and gotten through far worse.

Guest The Running Man

The only times I have ever seen far worse than this are on old cropped to full screen prints of films.

For widescreen presentations, this is as bad as it gets really.

For widescreen presentations, this is as bad as it gets really.

I've seen FAR FAR worse for widescreen prints. From purple or green subs to subtitles half the size of the ones on The Sword. Those made the ones here look like remastered, removable type. As for the other titles, I've seen the other two. They are about the same quality as the others in the line.

Guest Knetan

hey,

now that's just overeacting, Running Man. You're telling me you won't be able to adjust to these after sitting with the film just a few minutes in? White on white is one thing but to call these original, lovely non-retranslated subs "as bad as it gets" is just silly. Linn's right, it gets far, far worse.

With cinema such as this, and in general sometimes, you should be very glad to settle for less. What this line promises is pure heaven I think, especially as a new viewer of these previously obscure ones.

Guest Goldenswallow06

Eh, people are moaning about this release? What's the world coming to?

A lovely, clean, widescreen print of a truly classic, rare film at a budget price, props to Crash! I just hope they bring us many more releases of this standard!!!

Guest Robert Ian Teller

Yeah I agree I've seen far worse subtitles. Don't know what the problem is, maybe some people here weren't around during the vhs days? :rollin

Guest The Running Man
I've seen FAR FAR worse for widescreen prints. From purple or green subs to subtitles half the size of the ones on The Sword. Those made the ones here look like remastered, removable type.

When you have to adjust you're tv set just to try to make out the subtitles Linn, that's pretty bad. It's not good or classic or whatever. It's bad. You've actually seen worse? God bless you then man. But that doesn't change that the situation here is bad.

Now, let me explain further because people tend to not get the whole message for whatever reason and create a situation where I have to keep on repeating myself over, and over, and over again and sometimes they still don't get it:

I understand that this is the only print that was found for the movie and obviously, nothing can be done about the subtitles on screen. I am only stressing my point that Crash should have included optional subtitles akin to something I suggested so that it can help viewers not have to be distracted with the existing subtitles when trying to watch the film.

Notice, there are far bigger problems with this release. The video for example is real inconsistent stuff, and if a proper remastering process was done half the problems on the video wouldn't exist. Just seems to me a very light and inexpensive procedure was done to this. Sound is also a problem with no real clean-up done to it.

But am I bringing all of these problems to light? No, because the release is from Crash who I honestly don't expect much of a real remastered release from and on top of that, I have seen copies of movies that were in far worse condition than this so I can live with that no problem. I just concentrate on the subtitles cause that's something that at least they could have done something about on the budget they have. It would have helped. That's all I'm saying. :)

as I said in the original post I made, that was the only issue I had with the release as well. I agree that the subs are pretty bad and that something should have been done. The main issue is all these releases have a VERY strict release window. So much so, Crash have enough time to just make sure the print looks good before it gets put out. I think they had very little time to think about the subs in this case. Maybe, if this gets a HD re-release in the future, something can be done. As I told Crash, I can see something with subs this severe turning off average fans. All that said, I'm very happy to see a release at all.

Guest The Running Man

Thanks for understanding Linn. :)

I don't mind these movies getting released, it's great they are, but just a little extra mile I wish was gone for the subtitles would have made the releases more valuable and help reach a wider audience.

In fact, considering the importance you stress that this film is in the wu xia genre, would it have been out of the question for you to provide some sort of notes for the release so a bit of historical background could have been provided on it?

What about the other films coming out? How are they?

In fact, considering the importance you stress that this film is in the wu xia genre, would it have been out of the question for you to provide some sort of notes for the release so a bit of historical background could have been provided on it?

but the dvd was done before I was talking to Crash about these releases.

Guest tigerstyles

even maybe a small sample of Wang Yus blood as an extra contained in a small yet inoffensive packet..

jeeze you dont' want much do you Running Man

these titles are rare!

Guest The Running Man

make the effort to stay on the same level here, otherwise it kinda makes it difficult to take your comments seriously ya know? :b

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Picked up this dvd today and Im satisfied with it. Not Celestial quality, but better than I expected (alot better than past Crash releases). And it only cost $10, also better than previous inferior Crash releases for $15. But by putting "Digitally Remastered" on the cover they set our expectations high. Rarescope does it right by stating "Every effort has been made to find the best possible source for this DVD" on the back of their covers.

BTW, anybody got some reviews for the other recent Crash releases (Broken Sword, Beautiful Swordswoman, Knight Of Old Cathay)? The trailer for Beautiful Swordswomen looked terrible (imo). Knight Of Old Cathay looked ok.

Guest limubai2000

All you guys are making an issue where IMHO none exists. The only copy of Sword going around was a widescreen copy cropped to fullscreen missing half of it's subtitles! This copy is far better. For this film it probably won't get any better than this unless someone finds a pristine mint copy without the burnt subs, which probably won't happen.

Sometimes some of you need to chill the hell out and realize not every release can be perfect when the film print SIMPLY DOES NOT EXIST to be able to provide that. Seriously it's a an old movie, made in a country notorious for not preserving it's original film stock, in a genre which isn't exactly sitting on every household's DVD shelf, and maybe some of you guys need to realize these facts and appreciate what Crash was able to deliver into our hands.

Oh yes, this is Wang Yu's best overall role IMHO. Great film.

- end rant

Guest killer meteor

I agree with Running Man: companies should make the effort to have optional new subs that help people to understand the story better.

Guest The Running Man
Sometimes some of you need to chill the hell out and realize not every release can be perfect

Ok, now go back to this thread and find me where someone demanded that.

Guest Robert Ian Teller

Not to point any fingers at anybody or anything. But in general I personally feel there has been a bit too much complaining on this board during the last few months.

We all have our own preferences. But some of our demands are (unfortunately) unrealistic considering the circumstances.

Lot of these films are rare, pretty dirt cheap and are actually coming out legit. This is a niche market folks not the type of stuff big studios are gonna put out in all the markets pushing a million units a title.

Guest The Running Man

No, what is happening is some people take any sort of complaint and take it to the moon and back with over the top comments claiming that others are demanding unrealistic things when no such thing is taking place. In other words, people aren't reading what others are saying. They just type comments that are exaggerating what's going on.

I'm gonna ask you what I asked limubai2000: Find me one place in this thread where someone asked for something "unrealistic".

Archived