Hey guys, I got new DVD of The Sword today....

Linn1

Guest killer meteor

You could put the optional subs in the bottom black bar or in a black box over the burnt in subs. I've been suggesting this for years but subtitles cost a lot more than I realised

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest spannick

yeah, Soulblade did this with their UNICORN FIST DVD. optional Subs in the Black Bar, Burn Subs on the Print...

Guest The Running Man
Have you ever seen subtitles superimposed over subtitles? It's a one-way ticket to a throbbing migraine and temporary insanity.

I'll point to killer meteor's post:

You could put the optional subs in the bottom black bar or in a black box over the burnt in subs.

::Nods in agreement with killer meteor:: :)

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer
ou could put the optional subs in the bottom black bar or in a black box over the burnt in subs.

Wouldn't two sets of subtitles (three, if you include the Chinese) be a little cluttered? Also, if the DVD is anamorphic and you're watching it on a widescreen TV, won't the subs appear over the existing subs anyway?

An opaque black box with the new subs over the existing ones seems the least obtrusive solution, but even that will rob you of some of the picture. Still, if you MUST have perfectly legible subs, that's the kind of thing you have to live with.

Guest The Running Man

Honestly, in a situation like this you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

But at least if subs were placed on top of the image, in a black space to cover the original subs, at least you can read the translation whereas with the original subs you can't all the time.

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer
Honestly, in a situation like this you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Well, that's true enough.

I don't think I have any DVDs with subtitles over subtitles, as far as I'm aware. So I noodled about a bit with this screen cap from THE MASTER STRIKES BACK just to get an idea of what they might look like.

Here's one with the subs in the black area:

mission1.jpg

It's very cluttered looking, I think. And as I said, they might disappear altogether on a widescreen TV.

Here's what it would look like with a black bar:

mission2.jpg

Much cleaner and clearer, I think. But it's possible that some small part of the action could be obscured entirely by the bar. I remember a projectionist once framed out the bottom of the screen during a showing of CASABLANCA, making the scene where Ingrid Bergman draws a gun on Bogart completely unintelligible.

There's also the question of resizing the bar with every subtitle, which for some reason strikes me as immensely complicated. But then, I don't know how the radio works.

Anyway, like you say, you can't really win, and there's no solution that's 100% perfect.

Guest th33 lightning fists

On my run of the mill Toshiba 32inch (I think I’ll be able to afford an HDTV when I’m dead), the window boxing is indiscernible, and I only notice it if I watch the DVD on my computer. Noticing how close some of the subs came to the right edge of the screen, I’m glad they did whatever they did and didn’t cut them off.

Putting 2 rows of subs on a DVD messes my head up since try as I might there’s always that distraction of your eye hitting both of them in that 1.5 seconds that you have to read the line and look at what’s going on. Plus, when the subtitles get a little Engrish-like I can’t imagine using the word for word transcription in the digital ones... what would be funny, but not something a company could get away with I think. The only real way to fix prints with burnt-in subs is for someone to go in and digitally stroke all the subs in a dark color for contrast. But that kind of thing needs to be done by hand and the only people I know who can do that charge by the hour and it’s not pretty.

Guest morgoth

Even though the subs are hard to read to say the least, the story is still pretty easy to follow. I thought it was a good flick. Certainly not your average kung fu tale.

Guest HwangDi

Just got done watching The Sword tonight. Hard to follow the burnt in subtitles but the story keeps you hooked till the end. The film is very cold and dark, there's nothing really quite like this story that I've ever seen.

Guest FarEastPirate

if you make the subs in yellow with a nice shadow around the yellow you wont strain your eyes on the burnt in subs, becuase the bright yellow will overide the blurry faded white subs.

PS i did that with the LBX Valiant ones and i had no complaints

Guest Knetan

hey,

I've since passed it on after cleaning up the subs (from mostly poor grammar to acceptable standard for me) but I'm telling you, it IS there.

Guest The Running Man
Putting 2 rows of subs on a DVD messes my head up since try as I might there’s always that distraction of your eye hitting both of them in that 1.5 seconds that you have to read the line and look at what’s going on.

I don't like two sets of subs. Distracting. Either burnt or remastered but not both together.

You guys do realize there is a second option right? It's pretty much been agreed upon that having two sets of subs on screen at the same time is not the best idea.

Plus, when the subtitles get a little Engrish-like I can’t imagine using the word for word transcription in the digital ones... what would be funny, but not something a company could get away with I think.

Obviously that wouldn't make it's way to the final draft. Person typing it can just fix the grammar, wording, etc...

Obviously that wouldn't make it's way to the final draft. Person typing it can just fix the grammar, wording, etc...

So there would be 2 different lines of English text in the same frame? That's too distracting.

The whole root of the peoblem is that the subs that are nor up to par are the ones that can't be removed.

Guest The Running Man
So there would be 2 different lines of English text in the same frame? That's too distracting.

Huh??

Who's talking about have 2 different lines of English text at the same time?

Doesn't that mean that the new subs wouldn't match up with the burnt in ones? If the burnt in ones aren't blacked out then that would be too confusing.

Guest Isfahani

The only dvd I have with the black bar over the subs is the infamous "Incubus" (starrin W Shatner and shot entirely in esperanto)... This was thought lost until they found a French subbed print of it... Not the most optimal but it works, and i'd vote for this method.

However, any way you look at it, it's an additional expense to the producers.

Guest iron flag

Worst subtitles I've seen in a while...I got a headache after 15 minutes. How can they call it "digitally remastered"? I'd rather see it raw. Good movie though.

Guest fabhui

Just got through watching this one today and have to say the subs weren't quite as bad as what as I was expecting or maybe I'm just used to watching movies that are only available as 6th or 7th gen copies. When it came to the picture quality I was very impressed considering the conditions that these movies were found in.

As for the movie itself...WOW! This is now my favourite Wang Yu movie and easily in my top 5 wuxia movies. It's got everything, a great story, good performances, a top notch score, great fight sequences and oodles of atmosphere!!

I only watched it a couple of hours ago and I'm already wanting another viewing of the movie! :D

Archived