Fun Poll of Fu Sheng's 1974 films.

MarsHarmony

Which is your favorite Fu Sheng film from 1974?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite Fu Sheng film from 1974?

• Heroes Two
    • Men From the Monastery
    • Friends
    • Shaolin Martial Arts
    • Na Cha the Great
    • Five Shaolin Masters

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Alex, Funny my landlords wife is a Krishna devotee. She was very pleased you posted this story. This is the last day of a month long celebration of this story of Krishna and another that goes with it,

I took the article and showed her and she showed me a painting of Krishna having just released the two tree bound lads. I'll try to scan it and post it here for you and all.

Blessings,

GD Y-Y

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There all good with the exception of Na cha

Agreed there.Bad/so-so fights and poor special effects+uninteresting storyline make this recommandeble for fu sheng completists only.Even FS character is remarkably arrogant&irrating.Darn if I ever put it in player again:crossedlips:

Here the history about Na Zha as a taoist deity, after the buddhism came into China, and suffering modifications, taking elements from others religious systems and folklore tales. Manjusri and Samantabhadra remains as the ancient hindu background.

I guess that Chang Cheh followed this history, from the Fengshen Yanyi, as inspiration source for the movie.

Nezha or Na Zha (Chinese Nézhā) is a Taoist protection deity, the trickster, originally of Chinese Buddhist mythology. His official Taoist name is "Marshal of the Central Altar" (中壇元帥). He was then given the title "Third Lotus Prince" (莲花三太子) after he became a deity.

Nezha is often depicted as a youth, instead of an adult. He is often shown flying in the sky riding on the Wind Fire Wheels (風火輪), has the Universe Ring (乾坤圈) around his body (sometimes in his left hand), the Red Armillary Sash (浑天绫) around his shoulders and a Fire-tipped Spear (火尖槍) in his right hand. Sometimes, he is shown having three heads and six arms (三頭六臂). He has the ability to spit fire in some legends.

According to Fengshen Yanyi, Nezha was born during the Shang Dynasty in a military fortress at Chentang Pass. His father was a military commander named Li Jing, who later became the "Pagoda-wielding Heavenly King". Nezha's mother, Lady Yin, gave birth to a ball of flesh after being pregnant with him for three years and six months. Li Jing thought that his wife had given birth to a demon and attacked the ball with his sword. The ball split open and Nezha jumped out as a boy instead of an infant. Nezha could speak and walk immediately after birth. He was later accepted by the immortal Taiyi Zhenren as a student. He had two older brothers, Jinzha, a disciple of Manjusri Bodhisattva, and Muzha, a disciple of Samantabhadra Bodhisattva.

One day, while playing near the sea, Nezha fought and killed Ao Bing, the third son of the East Sea Dragon King Ao Guang. Ao Guang called for his brothers and confronted Nezha and his family. He threatened to flood Chentang Pass and report Nezha to the Jade Emperor. To save his family, Nezha flayed and disembowled himself to return his body to his parents. The Dragon Kings were moved by his filial piety and spared his family. Nezha was later brought back to life by his teacher, Taiyi Zhenren, who used lotus roots to construct a human body for his soul.

Alex, Funny my landlords wife is a Krishna devotee. She was very pleased you posted this story. This is the last day of a month long celebration of this story of Krishna and another that goes with it,

I took the article and showed her and she showed me a painting of Krishna having just released the two tree bound lads. I'll try to scan it and post it here for you and all.

My dear friend I am very glad that your wife was pleased about the real ancient history of Na Zha, and I will adore to see the painting of Lord Krishna! :smile:

Hugs

Alex

Go here to see the Shaw movie that preceded Na Cha the Great!

(WARNING: no subtitles! :eek:)

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjE4MTk0MjUy.html

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

The Hell! The movie do not runs! Hell of Hells! :crossedlips:

Anyway, the idea of Na Zha as a child like in this movie is popular in several chinese regions and in contemporary times, do not belongs to the original conception of the demigod, that is to say, a "young" man.

Alexandra

Hey, Alexandra....

I just clicked the link, and Na Cha and the Seven Devils came on. I've no idea of why the link isn't working for you....

Gee, it's baffling and I feel kind of bad, but I was able to watch the whole movie, Na Cha and the Seven Devils with little problem. I was also able to watch To Kill a Mastermind with Wang Lung Wei and Ku Feng. There were a few films that I tried to watch that stated they were only viewable in China, but there are quite a few that played fine when I tried them. Thanks for sharing the link Brother Fang. I hope more people get a chance to see some of them.

I just clicked the link, and Na Cha and the Seven Devils came on. I've no idea of why the link isn't working for you...

I guess is transmition speed... or something. The movie is around 83 minutes and every three seconds stop for one second and run again other three seconds and again stop and so far...or stop completely. I have in Yuoku Hong Kong Playboys, I could watch it after several days trying to make the movie run, in differents hours at day... but I am a little busy for stay in front of a computer in different daytime for watch a movie! :sad: Anyway... thanks! :angel:

Alex

Whaaa! The reunion of five mega stars was the goal! Five Shaolin Masters is winning in the poll... because Alexander in the cast or because he was acting with those stars?

Alex

As this is posted, Friends has gained one vote.

To whoever did so, we say "Thank you!":bigsmile:

Brother Fang is right, I know I have said it before, but this is a great film!

5 Shaolin Masters for me. Still need to see a couple of the others listed. Na Cha looked really silly to me so I never gave it a go and I never payed much attention to Friends either.

5 Shaolin Masters for me. Still need to see a couple of the others listed. Na Cha looked really silly to me so I never gave it a go and I never payed much attention to Friends either.

Concerning your vision about Na Cha: maybe a plot based in a myth or a chinese legend about a demigod, do not fit very well in your taste of "action movies", because this is not an action movie, is a story based on a myth that deserved all our respect, you can take it or leave it.

I mean, in Na Cha we are dealing with the ancestral life and taumaturg charmings made by Nalakuvera (Na Cha or Ne Zha in chinese) in the ancient India, and then when this myth came to China, the chinese people turn the original myth in a folk history about a young demigod that fight against demons, etc. All the elements that Na Cha uses, like the foot fired wheels, the special spear, the red cloth, the sacred ring, and his behaviour, are "codified" as symbols of his mythical identity. So, leaving apart if Chang Cheh was naif or not naif making this movie (speaking about the "special effects") this movie is about the life of a demigod, not a kung fu movie and must be seen inside the genre cinematographical conception. If the mytological or fantasy film genre do not convince you, or this one specially resulted for you "silly", just left the movie apart and go on with the other genres.

Alexandra

MarsHarmony

Na Cha the Great is actually a pretty dark story with moments of light brilliance. Sure, today's audience may snicker at some of the special effects, but they were well done for the time and technology, and yes I will go on record as saying "I like the dragon puppet". (Okay, the underwater fish sequence is the weakest of the effects!) The story line is enhanced by each fight or battle, and there are plenty of those to satisfy the action lover in us all.

Na Cha the Great is definitely not silly. The 18 Bronze Girls of Shaolin- now that's a silly movie!!

Friends is a good movie, it's another way that director and co-writer Chang Cheh chose to tell his tale of brotherhood and loyalty. It is certainly not as fun filled as Young People, and not as grim and dark as Police Force, but it showcases super performances by David Chiang Da Wei and Fu Sheng, highlighting their acting and physical skills. With a great supporting cast including Lily Li, Lu Ti, Tong Yim Chan and Lee Yung Git, Friends is one of Chang Cheh's most intimate and engaging films.

Blood Sword

Na Cha is FS movie I like least..Only few fights and they are crap.But that is not worst.It`s FS this time he(=his character) is pricky.

Five Shaolin Masters is a reunion of five screen stars. I wonder why Meng Fei not made any other film for SB...

Alexandra

FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS

HEROES TWO

SHAOLIN MARTIAL ARTS

Don't care about the other 3!

Nice blog, Bigrogie. You can add there the movies you mentioned above with a nice review!. :smile:

Alexandra

Forgive me for my ignorance but wasnt Siu Lum Ng Jo-Five Shaolin Masters released in 1975??? I am probably wrong but I've never heard it mentioned anywhere about it coming out in 74?? The Celestial cover may say it, I will have to check my 10 D.V.D boxset of Chang Cheh movies to see, but to be honest I find some of the dates on these sleeves seem to be wrong???

Anyway Hung Kuen Yu Wing Chun-Shaolin Martial Arts gets my vote.

Archived