Actors You Love To Hate:

klepto

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw some pretty good David Chiang movies recently but he doesn't have much

charisma and when he is fighting he isn't all that exciting. Comparing him and Wang Yu, Wang Yu is far more entertaining and shows more raw emotion.

I saw some pretty good David Chiang movies recently but he doesn't have much

charisma and when he is fighting he isn't all that exciting. Comparing him and Wang Yu, Wang Yu is far more entertaining and shows more raw emotion.

To me it has always been pretty much the other way round. Wang Yu doesn't get anywhere near Chiang (or Ti Lung). Sure he was more athletic and definitely presented a more realistic image of a fighter - but I've yet to see something as memorable from him as were Chiang's knife fights in Vengeance for example.

I love some of the Wang Yu classics - but it's rather despite him than because of him, to be honest. Take Magnificent Trio - Lo Lieh and Cheng Lei outshined him (the daxia in white) just like -- that... :xd:

Chiang on the other hand had (and still has) a spark (and sophistication) I've never seen Wang Yu display.

Just an opinion of course... We all have them...;-)

More on topic...

I gave it some thought but realized there actually isn't an actor I'd downright hate (let alone love to hate). There are a few guys whose popularity I'll never quite understand and some others who occasionally get on my nerves - but that's about it...

Morgoth Bauglir

Cheung Kam's ok sometimes, but most of the time he is horrible. I almost had to turn off Young Hero because of him. And it doesn't help that the character he plays is just a huge pile of shit.

Dean Shek is horrible but someone has to play that role.

The role of a wimpering sycophant that is right next to the important person.

How I wished that he was killed off in many movies only to see him beat up

and then to come back! :khi8a::7:

This thread sounds like it should be in the old school forum.

I guess the general consensus is that people don't like the funny guys of kung fu. :)

One un-funny guy I dislike, and I don't think he's ever done anything remotely humorous, is Jimmy Wang Yu. I've said it many times, I don't care for his on screen fighting or his charisma or lack of. Carter Wong is another serious guy I dislike. I liked him in those early Golden Harvest flicks, but after that, he just is uninteresting to watch. Another guy who's never done anything humorous on screen. :)

Dean Shek is the one funny man everyone loves to hate, and I agree. I also hate characters with stupid physical afflictions done for laughs, like the buck teeth, or the big ugly moles. Not funny. I also find those millions of AIDS jokes they keep doing in those 80s action flicks unfunny. But I laugh anyway because saying 'AIDS' for a dumb joke is funny, I suppose. And I'm not saying having AIDS is funny, but I digress.

I strongly disagree about Sammo being bad. He was the one guy outside of Lau Kar Leung who's put out consistently great choreography from the early 70s. I find his humor, along with Jackie's, is the most accessible to western audiences. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's the visual aspect, rather than constantly saying silly things that are supposed to be funny.

KFS

David Chiang is great in many films, some of my favorites are Have Sword Will Travel, New One Armed Sworsman, Vengeance, 5 Shaolin Masters, Blood Brothers, and how's bout The Loot!!!

Guest I Like Elaine

Thinking about it... no one really. I'm sure there's an actor or two I've been annoyed with, but no one I really hate (at least that I can think of at this moment). I guess I have a high tolerance level :bigsmile:.

I watched The Victim last night and that was a great film.

Comedy in Kung-Fu movies has never be my forte but Sammo is a great talent.

I'll have to check out Pedicab Driver to see him in a more serious role.

Also with David Chiang I saw Duel of the Iron Fist, my god that was more of a Scorsese

type film than an Eastern film. I've added to my DVD collection many times in the recent weeks due to this forum. My poor empty wallet :ooh:

Chang Cheh ended up remaking Duel Of The Iron Fist (known as The Duel in Hong Kong) later in 1980 or so with The Venoms, called Flag Of Iron. It wasn't as good, but they did have longer weapons. I wonder what Freud would have said about that! :)

KFS

Guest Markgway
It wasn't as good, but they did have longer weapons. I wonder what Freud would have said about that! :)

Something to do with Chang's mother fixation I suspect.....

Chiang Tao, he really makes a good villian because he looks like such an asshole, ditto for Wang Lung Wei. Also the dude that had the hidden blade in his belt that stabbed Ti Lung in Savage Five, he's got that huge mouth with gaped teeth that reminds me of a hyena lol, he was born to play the fiend.

Archived