Actors You Love To Hate:

klepto

1.) Siu Tien Yuen - Ok the man is a legend and his family is legendary. Dance of the drunken mantis was great but how many times were they going to cut away to the double to do the cool moves? Are those special effects or does he normally look like a lush in ever movie I've seen him in.

2.) Shun-Yee Yuen - The movie Buddhist Fist could be a classic but once I see his pudgy face and attempts at looking clever I have to turn off my DVD Player

3.) David Chiang - The only movie I ever liked him in was 'All men are brothers' because he was too cool in it with that sound effect playing every time he was in the scene.

4.) Sammo Hung - DON'T LIGHT ME ON FIRE, sorry. I loved him in Iron Fisted Monk and Warriors Two but I don't like kung fu movies that have too much humor. I like the films that are about business like King Boxer, Killer Constable and Rebellious Reign.

5.) Carter Wong - What is there to say? Carter should have never spoke a word and just looked tough.

Does anyone have any movies from these actors that would change my mind?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Siu Tien Yuen seemed to mostly play bit roles before SNAKE IN THE EAGLE'S SHADOW. Minor parts in HEROES OF THE EAST, 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN, and tons of others. I can't recall him in a good starring role before SITES though. But he was definitely made up to look like a drunk, and was a regular looking guy in real life.

David Chiang must sees are:

THE DUEL

VENGEANCE

NEW ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN

SHAOLIN MANTIS

A Sammo film that's more serious with incredible action is PEDICAB DRIVER.

• Administrator
I can't beleive you even like kung fu movies in general.

LOL I was shocked by klepto's choices too. But having different opinions makes things more interesting, doesn't it?

My good buddy shares the same taste in almost everything Asian film related, except one big difference... he can't stand Donnie Yen. Can't stand him one bit! I don't get it. I mean, some of his stuff sure. But how can you not like himin IRON MONKEY, LEGEND OF THE WOLF, ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA 2, IP MAN? Still... we do manage to remain friends. :xd:

As for me... big thumb's down for 90% of Dean Shek's stuff. I'm definitely not a fan.

Wow!! I agree everyone can have their own opinion...but man sometimes it's hard to think that someone doesn't like Sammo Hung!!! :squigglemouth:

klepto.............I hope you will give some more Sammo movies a chance, you don't have to like him per say....but I'm sure some of his more serious movies you'll dig!!! EASTERN CONDORS is a great movie and Sammo is pure bad ass in it!!

i hate when people say they dont like kung fu comedys, or jackie chan, or sammo, but then will love to watch other stuff by Gordon Liu or Jet Li that have a heck of a lot of a comedy in them themselves....

:yociexp54:

Hi, good topic.

There is a fun game you can play whenever watching a Shaw classic from 1968-1980, or so, it's see if you can spot Yuen Shun Yi in the group of people about to get into trouble. I adore him in "Buddhist Fist", a favorite, with all the Yuen clan having a great time. Have you seen "Papa" Simon Yuen in "Shaolin Martial Arts"? as Fu Sheng's second master? That's a good one.

Though it is a comedy, Sammo Hung in "Enter the Fat Dragon" is very very funny and does the best Bruce Lee imitation ever ever ever.

Kung Fu Bob is right on with his choices of David Chiang films - he is the epitome of ultra cool in "The Duel", (though I have never understood why in the movie they... oh, well). And "The New One Armed Swordsman" is a great, great, great Shaw classic, a favorite. And may I add, the not very well known "Friends" to that list. His scenes with Fu Sheng show some different sides to his character.

Carter Wong has my deepest respect and I do not hate him at all, but I will give you that one. heheheeeeee

Everyone has their preferences,

I know it is always going to be a touchy subject when someone criticizes

a lot of people's favorite actors. I've seen Eastern Condors and loved it. I have it on a very

dusty VHS tape.

I don't mind a little bit of comedy in kung fu movies but I prefer action to that any day of the week. I have a lot of respect for Sammo as I loved him in SPL and recent movies with Donnie Yen where he played a gangster but his older movies were mostly comedies.

gravedigger666
Wow!! I agree everyone can have their own opinion...but man sometimes it's hard to think that someone doesn't like Sammo Hung!!! :squigglemouth:

I do not like him.

Guest Markgway

I can't stand Dean Shek. He ruins almost every scene he's in. He's like the abyss of HK cinema draining away every moment of goodness. I've knocked stars off my movie ratings for featuring gratuitous Shekage. For all I know he might be a top bloke in reality - but on-screen he's wretched.

TibetanWhiteCrane
I can't stand Dean Shek. He ruins almost every scene he's in. He's like the abyss of HK cinema draining away every moment of goodness. I've knocked stars off my movie ratings for featuring gratuitous Shekage. For all I know he might be a top bloke in reality - but on-screen he's wretched.

I'll second that!

"gratuitous Shekage":bigsmile:

Sammo, a true legend.

I use not to like the comedy in these movies, but over the years, and dwelving deeper into Asian culture itself, I've grown fonder of the humor, there's definitely a cultural bridge to cross being from the west.

I get annoyed more by characters than actors for the most part, Dean Shek doesn't bother me, some of his parts like in Mad Monkey Kung Fu I actually like:xd:

• Administrator
Sammo, a true legend.

I use not to like the comedy in these movies, but over the years, and dwelving deeper into Asian culture itself, I've grown fonder of the humor, there's definitely a cultural bridge to cross being from the west.

I get annoyed more by characters than actors for the most part, Dean Shek doesn't bother me, some of his parts like in Mad Monkey Kung Fu I actually like:xd:

Tosh, there's only one reason that Dean Shek didn't ruin MAD MONKEY KUNG FU... he's not in it. Lam Fai Wong actually plays that Dean Shekish role. He does look a lot like him in this movie, except he's not quite as grating and stupid. :wink: Normally I think Skekky devalues films he's in, just like my fellow forum brothers have stated above, but once in a while he's... let's see, how nice can I be... doesn't make me want to go find him and slap him with a wet fish? :xd: He was okay in DRUNKEN MASTER.

Know who is worse than Dean Shek? Hon Kwok-choi. That knucklehead plays the same pathetic, wormy dope in every movie he's in, usually as the hero's sidekick. His best roles are some of his early ones where his character gets killed off.

By6pturG7Gk

(Hon is the skinny bald dude playing Bruce Leung's buddy.)

TibetanWhiteCrane
watching alan tam is like watching wood varnish dry

True... Although I like him in Armour Of God, Dragon Family and Last Blood!

• Administrator
Know who is worse than Dean Shek? Hon Kwok-choi. That knucklehead plays the same pathetic, wormy dope in every movie he's in, usually as the hero's sidekick. His best roles are some of his early ones where his character gets killed off.

Good call Mark. This guy's fingernails across a chalkboard for me. I remember wishing that Bruce Liang would have taken him out with some of his thunderous kicks in that movie! :xd:

Morgoth Bauglir

Hon Kwok Choi is not nearly as bad as Dean Shek IMO. But then again I like Dean Shek sometimes. Loved him in Dirty Tiger Crazy Frog. Hon Kwok Choi was really good alongside Meng Hoi in Call Me Dragon. He seemed to mainly be in dirt cheap movies, but when he got a good role, like in We’re Going to Eat You, I thought he did a good job. He's not one of my favorite actors, not even close, but there's a lot of movies I like him in.

One guy I don't like is the fat Japanese guy in Fist of Fury. Every time he shows up in a movie I know he's gonna suck. He should have only been given very minor roles, like in Wang Yu's The Sword.

Guest Markgway
One guy I don't like is the fat Japanese guy in Fist of Fury. Every time he shows up in a movie I know he's gonna suck. He should have only been given very minor roles, like in Wang Yu's The Sword.

Feng I doesn't bother me at all.

Who is the fat guy that plays Sammo's brother in "The Magnificent Butcher?" I can't stand him at all. He's always dubbed in that dumb-as-an-ox voice and, sadly, it goes right with his mannerisms. I really dislike him.

Guest Markgway
Who is the fat guy that plays Sammo's brother in "The Magnificent Butcher?" I can't stand him at all. He's always dubbed in that dumb-as-an-ox voice and, sadly, it goes right with his mannerisms. I really dislike him.

Cheung Kam.

Killer Meteor

I like Dean Shek sometimes - his early creep roles in films like The Delinquent annoy me more then his turns in Drunken Master

Actors who annoy me...

Wei Pei

Fu Sheng (latter day performances)

That bald guy who was San Te in Two Champions of Shaolin

Eric Tsang

John Shum

Archived