Police Story on Blu-Ray

Monk Sante

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I started buying Blu Ray, I've learned that just because it's BR doesn't mean it's been remastered. Some companies just take the DVD version and transfer it to the BR. Either that or a they do a poor remaster. Total RIP-OFF!!! Also, some films are too old and the transfer isn't going to be pristine like a modern movie, but the effort for top quality should still be there.

That's why it is buyer beware with some these Asian BRs. Do your research first before purchasing/preordering.

Wow... that's just... wow... I've seen a lot of things when it comes to DVD/Blu-ray transfers... but that is a new one on me. Massive DNR doesn't even begin to describe that OUATIC disaster. At least The Big Boss looked like a legit HD transfer... seems like they've gotten worse each time. Ugh, terrified to think what those unreleased Bruce Lee Blu-rays will look like :squigglemouth:

on several forums people upscaled their PS DVDs to HD Resolution; here's one of the results. can you guess what is what?

also note the encoding errors on the black letterbox bars; they're typical for an MPEG2 Encoder for Mac. so they did not even bother to mask that off; their foolery is perfect.

and some forum folks STILL try to say "i see more details on the Blu Ray". how dumb can you get?

k-IU0mhF0P.jpg k-LweNLJR.jpg

The benifits of BR is only shown in movies that are CGI heavy or shot in HD(which outside of a few nature programs there are none). It is very expensive to shoot in HD. Movies before 2000, you will see almost no difference. Movies after 2000 you may see a difference. BR is mostly a format that you will not see a difference in video, but you will notice that your 7.1 system if you own one.

The benifits of BR is only shown in movies that are CGI heavy or shot in HD(which outside of a few nature programs there are none). It is very expensive to shoot in HD. Movies before 2000, you will see almost no difference. Movies after 2000 you may see a difference. BR is mostly a format that you will not see a difference in video, but you will notice that your 7.1 system if you own one.

Not really, I've seen noticeable improvements in films made in 1942 when transferred properly for Blu Ray. I just ain't buying it!

Guest Markgway

All of the BDs I've seen are in some way an improvement on their DVD counterpart.

Some not as much as others - but improved all the same.

Anything shot on 35mm or hi-def can benefit from the increased resolution.

The only formats that won't are standard def and less that 35mm.

Bound to happen. When DVD was first around a lot of companies merely put their VHS masters onto disc. So it's no surprise that they would upscale SD to HD on BluRay.

Bound to happen. When DVD was first around a lot of companies merely put their VHS masters onto disc. So it's no surprise that they would upscale SD to HD on BluRay.

lots of companies STILL do that for DVD ;) i just say "Joy Sales Legendary Collection" :D

Companies should only release a Blu-Ray if they have the materials to match the specs, because it's noticeably, a much higher resolution. Fortune Star restored the film to HD, but K&R seemingly ended up upscaling Dragon Dynasty's DVD instead. We were cheated. Same with 'Fist Of Legend' and 'Once Upon A Time In China And America' over in Germany.

Joy Sales Legendary Collection consist of PAL digi-betas I believe.

The Joy Sales Legendary dvds i have are 16:9 anamorphic although not remastered.

They all are. I just wonder that adding to the improper PAL>NTSC conversion, the anamorphic state is genuine, or upconverted.

As a medium, I'm sure Digi-beta is a far cry better than VHS, no comparison. Just the bad mastering initially that renders the viewing to be shit.

Archived