Essence of a Kung Fu Classic:

klepto

It has been a project of mine to collect the best hong kong classics from my youth. I remember on Saturday's on the USA channel watching Kung Fu Theatre. Mostly dubbed movies with the strangest voice actors but great stories and actions. I went through the sticky topic of the greatest movies and after watching a bunch of the old classics I saw King Boxer.

King Boxer didn't have the biggest budget, it didn't have the most charismatic starring actor or lush sets but with pure action and a good story it was very impressive. The use of colors and the look of determination from the protagonist drew me into the story.

I am looking for movies like these that don't necessarily have people flying around the place, a whole lot of comedy, and convoluted plots but realistic and a solid flick.

What do you think is the make up of a kung fu classic film?

Here are my picks for now:

King Boxer

Clan of the White Lotus

7 Grandmasters

Chinese Connection

One Armed Swordsman

Five Super Fighters

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BlackLamaFaction

I know what you mean I'm not so big on all the comedy either.These are some films that I like:

18 Jade Arhats

Mask Of Death(Shaolin Devil,Shaolin Angel)

Clutch of Power

Slice Of Death(Abbot of Shaolin)

The Heroes

2 Great Cavaliers

The Magic Blade

Seven Steps Of Kung Fu

These films have pretty good fights throughout and are not overly comedic., Check them out if you haven't

Thanks much,

This is such a great forum, everyone is knowledgeable about movies

and fans as well. What makes a great kung fu classic for you?

What are the variables in it?

Thanks much,

This is such a great forum, everyone is knowledgeable about movies

and fans as well. What makes a great kung fu classic for you?

What are the variables in it?

For me - In the main it has to be the fights- I am a fan of the intricate fighting styles (some times called 'shapes' ) and I maintain that it's damn difficult to do! 10+ moves in a single take requires skill and stamina and is why certain movies in the sticky top films topic get listed time and time again eg the Victim and Drunken Master.

The 70s\early 80s saw was a peak period with the Opera School graduates and Skilled Martial Artists at the peak of their powers which resulted in the scores of classics listed on the forum

Archived