Joseph Kuo movies

inframan

I think it was released in '81 or '82. The lead actor who plays the young warrior protecting the princess was also in War Of The Shaolin Temple (the Tai Seng DVD) from around 1980.

KFS

how do you know it's a rip-off of Jet Li's Shaolin Temple because it was 82 Li's

• Like 1

how do you know it's a rip-off of Jet Li's Shaolin Temple because it was 82 Li's

Was it? I thought Li's film was earlier, like from 1979 or 1980. I've seen different dates attributed to his first film. Either way, they both have similar story lines. As to who ripped off who, I'm not 100% sure.

KFS

• Like 1

Was it? I thought Li's film was earlier, like from 1979 or 1980. I've seen different dates attributed to his first film. Either way, they both have similar story lines. As to who ripped off who, I'm not 100% sure.

KFS

yeah well i think most films are inspired by another then give inspiration out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I recently had an old-school binge which included the Kuo flick 'Dragon's Claws' with Hwang Jang Lee. I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

Gotta read this one, I've not re-visited this since I rented it from Blockbuster video as a teenager.

Keep up the great work @One Armed Boxer.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I recently had an old-school binge which included the Kuo flick 'Dragon's Claws' with Hwang Jang Lee. I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/dragons-claws-1979-review/

I like Dragon's Claws, the only thing that brought the movie down a notch for me is Pak Sha-Lik performance.

I love Yuen Qiu in there (well, she always gives a good performance).

• Like 6

I noticed fans in this thread complaining about Kuo's usage of frame cutting or frame clipping in the fights. What does it mean, same thing as undercranking?

• Like 3

On 10/28/2020 at 4:28 AM, Super Ninja said:

I noticed fans in this thread complaining about Kuo's usage of frame cutting or frame clipping in the fights. What does it mean, same thing as undercranking?

No, it’s when frames are actually removed to create the illusion of fast movement, but it always looks like garbage

• Like 5

On 10/28/2020 at 8:28 AM, Super Ninja said:

Although not a Joseph Kuo production the Lee Tso-Nam directed Shaolin Invincible sticks is a prime example.(good film though)🙏

• Like 4

Seven Grandmasters is definitely a keeper.  I like Li I-Min and felt that he really should have had more films to his name.  Jack Long Sai Ga and Mark Long Kuan Wu are excellent as well.  The martial arts talent in that film was awesome with Corey Yuen Kwai as stunt director and having a minor role.  Of course seeing Nancy Yen Ju Ju was the frosting on the cake.

7grandmasters.jpg

• Like 4

On 11/2/2020 at 7:13 PM, Jay Stone said:

No, it’s when frames are actually removed to create the illusion of fast movement, but it always looks like garbage

Thanks for clarifying that @Jay Stone

• Like 3