Confucius (2010)

DiP

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

My local video store got a copy of the new Chou Yun Fat movie Confucius.

Has anyone seen this?

Your opinions please.

GD Y-Y

• Like 1

A decent movie. Nothing particularly special. If the store has it to rent, and you are curious, pick it up. I wouldn't buy it, though.

• Like 1

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
A decent movie. Nothing particularly special. If the store has it to rent, and you are curious, pick it up. I wouldn't buy it, though.

Bravery you were right. I rented Confucius last night. Did not finish as it was a yawner, Thanks for the tip.

GD Y-Y

• Like 1

Confucius (2010) - Interestingly enough, the Portuguese title of this movie is Batalha pelo Império (Battle for the Empire). That's rather inaccurate, considering that the film is set during the Warring States era (circa 484 BC), when China hadn't even had its first emperor yet, nor does China get unified during the course of the film. And there's one real battle sequence, but it's short and occurs about 40 minutes in. What the film really is is a condensation of the second half of the great philosopher's life, as he rises to power because of his unfailing righteousness, only to be betrayed by some of the noble families whom he pissed off for being a goody two-shoes. He and his disciples wander around the different kingdoms until years later, when he invited back to his homeland. It's an interesting historical drama, but not the compelling intellectual classic it could've been.

• Like 2