Godfrey Ho Originals?

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

Which Godfrey Ho "directed" films are original productions and which are fakes? By fakes I mean films bought from Korea or Taiwan and re-edited/re-titled to disguise their true origin. I'm not even going to ask about the Ninja movies as we all know about them already.

I notice a number of the apparently Korean films falsely credited to Ho have Chinese co-stars (Lo Lieh, Chin Kang, Liu Chia Hui, etc). Were these co-productions or did the Koreans actually hire stars from HK/Taiwan? Or has footage been inserted from elsewhere by Ho and co. that wasn't present in the original Korean cuts?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Atomic Mystery Monster
Which Godfrey Ho "directed" films are original productions and which are fakes?

I'm almost positive that his only original movies were done when he wasn't working at IFD (with the exception of some footage from his cut-and-paste work).

Guest Markgway

Right, like the ones done with Cynthia Rothrock.

I think I saw one of them and naturally it stank.

The Dragon, The Hero appears to be an original, but I'm not sure which others are. I've heard that even late 80's efforts like Lethal Panther have bits pasted in from other movies?

I am guessing that Ninja the Protector is all his.

No, that was a cut-and-paste movie. I'm not sure about THE DRAGON, THE HERO, but I've always suspected that it was just a Korean movie that IFD changed the credits for.

Oh, and MEN BEHIND THE SUN 2: LABORATORY OF THE DEVIL was all his.

I don't think Dragon the Hero was a Korean movie. There are over a dozen known HK actors in the film, but Dragon Lee is the only Korean actor that I see.

pretty positive it's not a Korean film. And I think it's a Godfrey Ho film too.

Now I love that movie even more...

Guest Markgway

Having just noted down the main cast for DRAGON/HERO I can say that out of 18 actor names only 1 of them is Korean: Dragon Lee - and he was brought over to HK especially to shoot a couple of films for Ho and Asso Asia. Most of the films with a Ho/Lee connection were Korean re-edits however. I'm not sure what made Ho make his own original movie but he didn't stick with it and within a couple of years was in the Ninja business. Only the Ninja footage was original from those.

I was wondering about PRINCESS MADAM, ANGEL ENFORCERS and LETHAL PANTHER. They all have primarily Chinese casts, but originals or cut 'n' paste? Personally I think they're originals, but that doesn't rule out some footage having been source elsewhere. I heard that Sibelle Hu's scenes in Lethal Panther was taken from another incomplete movie: but I've no idea if that's true? She seems to interact with other cast members, which usually doesn't happen if the footage is taken. Any thoughts...?

What about the 2 Johnnie chan movies? Revenge of the Drunken Master and Golden Dragon Silver Snake

I think they are both 100% Korean.

Guest Shaolin Dog Paw

Just taking a quick stab at this from the movies ive watched:

Pink Force Commandos

Shaolin Fist Fighter

Blazing Ninja

Invincible Hero

Guest Markgway

Shaolin Fist Fighter - Korean

Blazing Ninja - Korean

Invincible Hero - Korean

Pink Force Commandos - Isn't that Taiwanese film by Chu Yen Ping?

Did Godfrey steal this one too, lol?

Guest Shaolin Dog Paw

The copy of Pink Force Commandos i have has the typical IFD intro with his name in big bold letters in the begginning of the film.

Ive watched and it didnt really make sense. it was a rediculous movie... that fit my taste, i loved it.

Sounds like Ho bought the distribution for that one.

I'd imagine that Joseph Lai would be the one doing the buying.

Guest The Running Man

Linn, have you heard anything about Godfrey becoming a film teacher somewhere?

If it is, it would be so beautifully ironic. :lol

Guest Shaolin Dog Paw

Yes he is a film teacher at the Hong Kong Film academy. Apparently his students love him, he loves his job, what could be better.

Just think... he's teaching the next generation of great directors from Hong Kong.

Yes he is a film teacher at the Hong Kong Film academy. Apparently his students love him, he loves his job, what could be better.

That's great to hear, although it does make me curious about Toby Russell's claim that he stopped teaching there.

Just think... he's teaching the next generation of great directors from Hong Kong.

I seriously think this is great (And no, this isn't an April Fools joke).

Archived