Second Batch of Shaw Brothers films released by Media Blasters

magicpoe

Sad to say, but I actually have a VHS boot of TKWTGA from quite a few years back... and I've STILL not watched it. After hearing about this sequence confusion, I'm hesitant to watch the VHS version prior to the DVD version :tongue: I think my tape is taken from a Euro VHS (might be Dutch, I have a few Dutch SB VHS boots), so I dunno what the sequencing might be... hmm, maybe I will have to check it out after reading all this.

the Dutch VHS is based on a censored US TV Print ;)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Silver Fox

Probably because they are Region 1 and will be easy to find at stores like Best Buy etc. Plus, Media Blasters seems to do a good job on their Shaw bros releases. I plan to double dip on Five Element Ninjas when it comes out in Oct but that's about it. I have just about everything from IVL that was announced for this latest batch.

dont flame me here...just asking...

but why is it a big deal that MB has announced these?Doesnt celestial already have them out?

Sometimes, the MB dvd's come with new extras & they have improved picture quality. If Chinatown Kid comes out with the longer cut, that will be a pretty big deal.

Morgoth Bauglir

It's nice to be able to just go to the store and get a movie. You don't have to wait and hope that it comes in the mail. And sometimes there are movies that weren't released on DVd before, like Black Magic 2, and hopefully HK Godfather some day.

Guest WuxiaFan
dont flame me here...just asking...

but why is it a big deal that MB has announced these?Doesnt celestial already have them out?

Also, the IVL's don't have the English dub (assuming its the classic dub). I have about 65 IVLs, but I'm buying certian MB titles for the classic dub and special features.:smile:

Plus, from a video-geek point of view, the MB video transfers are better than the IVL transfers. The IVL transfers are improper PAL-to-NTSC interlaced transfers, while the MB transfers are direct film-speed 24fps progressive scan transfers. Some people can tell the difference, others don't or just don't care... kinda envy them... damn video classes :tongue:

The Running Man

Hey magicpoe,

I don't know who the people are that MB is thinking about getting for commentaries, but ask them if they would consider getting Dr. Craig Reid for any of them.

Guest WuxiaFan
Plus, from a video-geek point of view, the MB video transfers are better than the IVL transfers. The IVL transfers are improper PAL-to-NTSC interlaced transfers, while the MB transfers are direct film-speed 24fps progressive scan transfers. Some people can tell the difference, others don't or just don't care... kinda envy them... damn video classes :tongue:

OPY - How can you tell the difference or what should I look for? IMO, the IVL transfers look great to me. I don't have a super home theater system; just a Mitsubishi 1080i TV and an Oppo 981H.

OPY - How can you tell the difference or what should I look for? IMO, the IVL transfers look great to me. I don't have a super home theater system; just a Mitsubishi 1080i TV and an Oppo 981H.

One way to tell is in any scene with a very slow horizontal pan. The blending of frames that come from interlacing 24fps film to 29.97fps NTSC video (four times a second at even intervals) results in ever-so-slight ghosting and an ever-so-slight delay in image movement. Now imagine the ghosting and blended frames that come from film sped up to 25fps to acommodate 25fps PAL video, but then incorrectly tranferred to 29.97fps NTSC video! All that said, I believe most of us wouldn't notice these problems without actively looking for them (I'm not even going to touch the "degradation" that could occur from upconverting a DVD image to match that Mitsubishi 1080i TV of yours), and most of us here reject what happened out of principle, which is completely understandable: like I said before, it's not the correct presentation, and even Hollywood wouldn't let it happen to their worst films. IMO, there's a much more annoying effect, which would've occured even in PAL format: all the audio is 4% faster, and I JUST DON'T LIKE IT!

Guest WuxiaFan
One way to tell is in any scene with a very slow horizontal pan. The blending of frames that come from interlacing 24fps film to 29.97fps NTSC video (four times a second at even intervals) results in ever-so-slight ghosting and an ever-so-slight delay in image movement. Now imagine the ghosting and blended frames that come from film sped up to 25fps to acommodate 25fps PAL video, but then incorrectly tranferred to 29.97fps NTSC video! All that said, I believe most of us wouldn't notice these problems without actively looking for them (I'm not even going to touch the "degradation" that could occur from upconverting a DVD image to match that Mitsubishi 1080i TV of yours

Bronx Rican took the words right out of my mouth :tongue:

I noticed the ghosting, but no delay in image movement when I was watching IVL HEROES OF SUNG. I'll keep looking for image movement delays on others. Could you please address the "degradation" that could occur from upconverting a DVD image to my Mitsubishi?:nerd: Any IVL that I've played looks very good (to me, at least).:ooh:

Could you please address the "degradation" that could occur from upconverting a DVD image to my Mitsubishi?:nerd: Any IVL that I've played looks very good (to me, at least).:ooh:

Reviving as a favor to WuxiaFan...

Maybe "degradation" wasn't the best word, but in an upconversion, whether done in the DVD player on in the TV, the image in a standard DVD resolution (480 vertical pixels) has to be enlarged to fit the native resolution of the TV during playback (in the case of an HDTV, either 720 or 1080 vertical pixels). Anyone who's had experience enlarging small images in Photoshop or other image editors may recognize the results of improper resizing. There could be jagged edges, images that look a bit pixelized, etc. Bottom line is, the less processing done to a DVD picture, the better, and if it has to be done, some of the videophiles out there will tweak the settings on their TVs and DVD players for the best results. For what it's worth, I wouldn't worry: my movies look damn nice enough on my 42" Pioneer 1080 plasma.

Guest WuxiaFan
Reviving as a favor to WuxiaFan...

Maybe "degradation" wasn't the best word, but in an upconversion, whether done in the DVD player on in the TV, the image in a standard DVD resolution (480 vertical pixels) has to be enlarged to fit the native resolution of the TV during playback (in the case of an HDTV, either 720 or 1080 vertical pixels). Anyone who's had experience enlarging small images in Photoshop or other image editors may recognize the results of improper resizing. There could be jagged edges, images that look a bit pixelized, etc. Bottom line is, the less processing done to a DVD picture, the better, and if it has to be done, some of the videophiles out there will tweak the settings on their TVs and DVD players for the best results. For what it's worth, I wouldn't worry: my movies look damn nice enough on my 42" Pioneer 1080 plasma.

:smile:Thanks Bronx Rican! I can dig it, however with my Oppo Digital 981H, I've never seen any of that. It's actually crystal clear. I've read a lot of reviews about the Oppo players before and after I bought my player, and there was nothing but sheer praise for them. If anyone has perfected upconversion, it's Oppo. The 981H got a score of 96 on Secret's of Home Theater HiFi's Benchmark tests. The Oppo 983 upconverting player actually got a 100. No player ever scored a 100 on their tests, at least that I've read. Anyway, I guess its up to the quality of the upconversion or I can see those problems you mention happening.

Archived