Second Batch of Shaw Brothers films released by Media Blasters

magicpoe

I've been in contact with Media Blasters and they said that the list of the second batch of Shaw Brothers releases could be posted here on the forum as it's already been released to the public. So here you go:

KID WITH THE GOLDEN ARM

IRON BODYGUARD

LION VS. LION

MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS

BRAVE ARCHER 2

THE REBEL INTRUDERS

BRAVE ARCHER 3

THE LADY IS THE BOSS

MASKED AVENGERS

CHINATOWN KID

Also worth noting that the order they are listed above is also the expected release order for these with Kid with the Golden Arm coming out in December 09.

They also said that some commentaries might be included on these releases by 2 well known people in the business, no I don't mean Ric Myers. Since those aren't set in stone yet I'll not mention their names, but it shouldn't be hard to guess.

And yes they are trying to source the long version of Chinatown Kid. Also, they will continue trying to get both the Mandarin and Cantonese soundtracks for all releases and include the English dub.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been in contact with Media Blasters and they said that the list of the second batch of Shaw Brothers releases could be posted here on the forum as it's already been released to the public. So here you go:

KID WITH THE GOLDEN ARM

IRON BODYGUARD

LION VS. LION

MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS

BRAVE ARCHER 2

THE REBEL INTRUDERS

BRAVE ARCHER 3

THE LADY IS THE BOSS

MASKED AVENGERS

CHINATOWN KID

Also worth noting that the order they are listed above is also the expected release order for these with Kid with the Golden Arm coming out in December 09.

They also said that some commentaries might be included on these releases by 2 well known people in the business, no I don't mean Ric Myers. Since those aren't set in stone yet I'll not mention their names, but it shouldn't be hard to guess.

And yes they are trying to source the long version of Chinatown Kid. Also, they will continue trying to get both the Mandarin and Cantonese soundtracks for all releases and include the English dub.

*makes annoyingly high pitched giddy squealing noise* Ironically, I finally got to sit down and watch Brave Archer last night, hoping Media Blasters picked up the two main sequels. Nice!

And as for Chinatown Kid... if that list is in chronological order (I think the last announcement list more or less was as well), it's probably a damn good idea to have CK last. This way they'll have the max amount of time to source the longer cut. Worst case scenario, just make it a two disc edition with the Mandarin short/alternate cut and the longer export cut. Fingers crossed they can obtain a proper original language full cut of the film, complete with the real ending.

And they'll already get the next batch started in December? MERRY FRIGGIN' CHRISTMAS! :tongue:

Also, it's nice to see them doing more commentaries. I didn't even know the Brave Archer DVD had one until I popped it in! Admittedly, I can't quite figure out off the top of my head who the two might be, other than Brian Camp possibly returning to at least do Brave Archer 2 and 3.

The longer cut of CK is out there. It was part of the materials that Celestial donated to the HKFA.

So why did we get stuck with a shorter print? Was there just some "pilot error"? Now, don't get me wrong, it makes for a great curiosity/companion piece to the original cut (anytime there's alternate/extended footage in another cut, even if it's missing other scenes, I'd love to see it!), but it shouldn't be set-up as if it's the main cut of the film. I still think that was a strange situation. Eh, at least I still have the export cut on video.

Shaolin Patriot

Well, this list can confirm that MB truly didn't inherit the former, unreleased BCI titles (otherwise they would have been the second batch). I was hoping we could have seen those BCI titles next.

I hope that MB is aware of the out-of-sequence scene on the IVL release of KID WITH THE GOLDEN ARM and has edited it correctly for their December release.

I am looking forward to buying all 10 films in the lineup.

I hope that MB is aware of the out-of-sequence scene on the IVL release of KID WITH THE GOLDEN ARM and has edited it correctly for their December release.

I mentioned that to them today in an email today when I got the list.

So why did we get stuck with a shorter print? Was there just some "pilot error"? Now, don't get me wrong, it makes for a great curiosity/companion piece to the original cut (anytime there's alternate/extended footage in another cut, even if it's missing other scenes, I'd love to see it!), but it shouldn't be set-up as if it's the main cut of the film. I still think that was a strange situation. Eh, at least I still have the export cut on video.

Honestly, I don't think they knew there was a longer cut. It does exist, though.

The German Print for KID (which is based on a Chinese one according to the Title Sequence) has the same editing as the HK DVD. maybe the US Dubbed Edit is wrong!

any more clues what exactly is the difference?

I'm glad someone is bringing out the Brave Archer 2/3 films, the first one was a bit confusing, but I guess it's more of the first part in a planned trilogy instead of just a standalone film that got sequels later on.

Does anyone know what BCI was supposed to release?

Wow this is awesome news!! The entire line up is awesome!! I'm glad Media Blasters has found a business plan that works for them. I've been extremely happy with all their releases so far!!

Plus more Venoms films.....totally awesome!!

MB ROCKS!!!!

I'm glad someone is bringing out the Brave Archer 2/3 films, the first one was a bit confusing, but I guess it's more of the first part in a planned trilogy instead of just a standalone film that got sequels later on.

Does anyone know what BCI was supposed to release?

Life Gamble

Opium and the Kung Fu Master

The 14 Amazons

Shaolin Hand Lock

Hong Kong Godfather

Shaolin Prince

Invincible Shaolin

The Bastard Swordsman

The Duel

Return of the Bastard Swordsman

Shaolin Rescuers

Soul of the Sword

The Lady Hermit

The Supreme Swordsman

The Sword of Swords

Guest Markgway
The German Print for KID (which is based on a Chinese one according to the Title Sequence) has the same editing as the HK DVD. maybe the US Dubbed Edit is wrong!

That sounds more likely.

Some good films on that list, nothing I'm planning on buying though.

They just get more confusing as they go along...

The 14 Amazons

The Sword of Swords

Now these I would've bought!

That sounds more likely.

*CK SPOILERS*

Then there's a massive continuity issue in the Mandarin cut, with Fu Sheng's "disappearing knife wound/blood" in the finale. And since when does Chang Cheh have the hero and villain arrested instead of killed? I have both cuts, and the export cut still plays out more like a traditional Chang Cheh film: bloody and unapologetic.

I just wish a full explanation for the different cuts would be given, other than the theory that the Celestial master was an alternate Taiwanese print.

KID WITH THE GOLDEN ARM

IRON BODYGUARD

LION VS. LION

MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS

BRAVE ARCHER 2

THE REBEL INTRUDERS

BRAVE ARCHER 3

THE LADY IS THE BOSS

MASKED AVENGERS

CHINATOWN KID

Would be sweet to have English dubs for The Lady is the Boss and Iron Bodyguard. I know one exists for IB but is there one for Lady???

Too bad Masked Avengers is so far down on the list. Top Venoms flick!

kungfusamurai
Would be sweet to have English dubs for The Lady is the Boss and Iron Bodyguard. I know one exists for IB but is there one for Lady???

Too bad Masked Avengers is so far down on the list. Top Venoms flick!

But it IS on the list, so that's what's important! :)

I take it nobody will be releasing Magnificent Wanderers. :D Seriously, I'm trying to figure stuff like that out because I want to get the IVL versions if there aren't any N.A. versions to avoid double dipping.

KFS

How do you know it's been edited out of sequence? In the film, one of the gang members exclaims that Iron Robe has sent up a signal. A couple minutes later we, the audience see him send up a SECOND FLARE to which Hai To responds that no one is answering.

Obviously, it would have been more than one flare as he had just sent the one up that the audience sees. There is no time for anyone to answer mere seconds after setting it off if that was the first signal.

Guest Markgway
*CK SPOILERS*

Then there's a massive continuity issue in the Mandarin cut, with Fu Sheng's "disappearing knife wound/blood" in the finale. And since when does Chang Cheh have the hero and villain arrested instead of killed? I have both cuts, and the export cut still plays out more like a traditional Chang Cheh film: bloody and unapologetic.

I just wish a full explanation for the different cuts would be given, other than the theory that the Celestial master was an alternate Taiwanese print.

Didn't know all that.

The version I saw was the uncut dub.

Killer Meteor

I'll be honest - I'd have sacrificed Lion Vs. Lion in exchange for Bruce Lee & I but then I'm a weirdo!

Seriously, a great list! And Kid With The Golden Arm for Christmas? EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Btw, I just realized that only two of the ten releases aren't Chang Cheh films... not complaining, just an observation :tongue:

Yeah and a lot of venom mob films too!

Can't beat more Venoms films!!

I will say MB has someone very smart in charge of picking what movies to release. I'm looking forward to seeing the future artwork of these releases!!

Didn't know all that.

The version I saw was the uncut dub.

Yeah, I've seen them both... and that Mandarin ending doesn't feel even remotely "Chang Cheh-ish" :tongue: It was probably a second unit team brought in to briefly shoot new footage with Fu Sheng, Kuo Chui, and Sun Chien. Wonder if any of Cheh's other films had to go through a similar situation, and we've just never seen the footage... hmm...

Shaolin Patriot
How do you know it's been edited out of sequence? In the film, one of the gang members exclaims that Iron Robe has sent up a signal. A couple minutes later we, the audience see him send up a SECOND FLARE to which Hai To responds that no one is answering.

Obviously, it would have been more than one flare as he had just sent the one up that the audience sees. There is no time for anyone to answer mere seconds after setting it off if that was the first signal.

Actually, you make a good point, that could very well be correct. I was comparing the IVL against a distributor VHS copy and official television broadcast on VHS from the 80's. Both sources only show one flare being lit before the gang member's announcement. One can be led to believe that a few moments had passed between the lighting of the flare and announcement. It could also mean that it was edited for TV this way (courtesy of Larry Bensky) and the distributor VHS was taken from the TV broadcast.

Sad to say, but I actually have a VHS boot of TKWTGA from quite a few years back... and I've STILL not watched it. After hearing about this sequence confusion, I'm hesitant to watch the VHS version prior to the DVD version :tongue: I think my tape is taken from a Euro VHS (might be Dutch, I have a few Dutch SB VHS boots), so I dunno what the sequencing might be... hmm, maybe I will have to check it out after reading all this.

Archived