Ng Kwan Lung

defangthewolf

defangthewolf

anyone got more info on this bloke? he was above average in snake deadly. only starred in one flick and that's it according to hkcinemagic.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is him on the left? Doesn't look like he's starred in anything else; look forward to analysing his shapes skills next time I watch this film. :)

snakedeadlyact.jpg

I've watched this a quite a few times recently while trying to sync the canto dub to the english dvd. The lead actor is very good in this movie. He's a funny kid, charismatic, got some skill. Surprising he didn't do more movies.

Have you tried audio dubbing the English language dialogue onto the mandarin soundtrack? I think the English dubbed version is cut quite a bit?

I have the eastern heroes VHS and DVD. The VHS is subbed, widescreen & Cantonese. The DVD is exactly the same edit, but it has an English soundtrack. The subs are burned into the picture. The picture is better on the DVD. I don't know why they didn't make it a dual language DVD. I'm trying to get the timings down to a milisecond! Snake Deadly Act is a cool movie that shouldn't be missed.

the kid was in "Mysterious footworks of kung fu" (one scene)

he was also seen in BBC's "Way of the Warrior" doccu he was choreographing a sword fight in a Hung boxing gym

According to HKMB, in the little write up about him, they said he wasn't interested in making movies after this film. So maybe he just worked behind the scenes? It's funny it's usually the best onscreen fighters with so much to offer tends to call it quits with movie making.

This is him on the left? Doesn't look like he's starred in anything else; look forward to analysing his shapes skills next time I watch this film. :)

snakedeadlyact.jpg

ok thats it

The story I heard from my teacher, who also studied with Hung Kuen master Chan Hon Chung from 85-91, is that Ng Kun Lung had some issues (monetary) with an English guy Colin (who also features in the Way of the Warrior-Kung fu the hard way episode). This displeased Chan si-gung greatly, as it looked like the kwoon wasnt operating properly, and Ng decided to voluntarily leave the gym to avoid his si-fu losing face in the HK Chinese Martial Arts association, of which si-gung was chairman. It is ashame, coz not only was he generally accepted as the 2nd best fighting student of Chan si-gung, next to current chairman Kong Pui Wai, but he had the skill and charisma to be a HUGE kung fu star.

My teacher never met Ng, until si-gung's funeral, where all the proper student's, past and those who had still been training with si-gung up until he passed on, attended to pay respect. He was at that time, and maybe still is, working as a CHEF in a HK restaurant.

Ng wouldnt allow my teacher to address him as si-hing, as he said he was still ashamed over this incident, but still made sure he was at his si-fu's funeral-which is something I respect- unlike the English guy who, like every other foreign student (except my teacher and one of my si-hing, who were the only westerners present) didnt bother to come to the funeral.

Loyalty....Ng Kun Lung has it in spades. Threw away a chance to be a massive star to ensure his si-fus status never slipped.

MASSIVE RESPECT...SI-BAAK

Archived