Animal-friendly kung fu movies

dragonherb

In many kung fu movies there is cruelty towards animals :tinysmile_angry2_t:

This thread though is to talk about those movies in which the people involved are KIND to animals :xd: On-screen cuteness, message that animals shouldn't be treated like shit etc.

Example:

Have Sword Will Travel, tells the importance of gaining the trust from a horse makes a good horse.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mark Pollard

It's interesting that you mention HAVE SWORD WILL TRAVEL. That is the only Chinese-language film I have ever seen where an animal was given any respect. I frequently see birds being carried around in cages but only as a status symbol. Aside from HAVE SWORD WILL TRAVEL I have never seen animals treated as companions in Chinese films. If they are, they become humanoid fantasy characters like The Monkey King or Pig from MONKEY GOES WEST.

Carter Wong's Kung Fu Arts is about monkey that is married to the princess.

Morgoth Bauglir

Mantis rape more like it. I could be remembering wrong but I think the mantis crawls inside the woman, in her love spot.

Also animals have a decent sized role in Ahrats in Fury.

One Armed Boxer

Andy Lau is pretty close to his whale (there`s 8 words I thought I`d never write!) in Moon Warriors.

Also for a slightly stranger but still "friendly" animal encounter check out The Tiger Love.

In many kung fu movies there is cruelty towards animals :tinysmile_angry2_t:

This thread though is to talk about those movies in which the people involved are KIND to animals :xd: On-screen cuteness, message that animals shouldn't be treated like shit etc.

Example:

Have Sword Will Travel, tells the importance of gaining the trust from a horse makes a good horse.

Dragonherb, I am so happy that you created this thread. I do enjoy many aspects of kung fu movies (most of all good choreographed fighting), but the lack of humane treatment towards animals is beyond despicable. I happen to be an animal advocate on many levels and find it incredibly disturbing that animals are treated so poorly while making a movie - completely unnecessary, imo.

Please correct me if I am wrong (anyone), but didn't the Shaolin Monks of China show compassion for all life through Buddhist practices (no harm towards any life, not eating meat, etc.)? This is one idea that really drew me towards Shaolin Kung Fu many years back: peace and goodwill towards all of nature, but the ability to kick some major ass if needed. Just my two cents.

Guest WuxiaFan

ENTER THE DRAGON

-Han treated his cat pretty well, and Roper saved it from the guillotine! :bigsmile:

BROKEN OATH

-Angela Mao used scorpions against her villains on her path of vengeance!:ooh:

ONG BAK / TOM YUM GOONG

-Elephants are revered in Thailand and both of these movies show that. In TYG, there is animal cruelty in the restaurant (Tom Yum Goong), but Tony Jaa somewhat is fighting against that to save his baby elephant.

SAMURAI CHAMPLOO

-Fuu has a pet squirrel!:smile:

Jackie is pretty nice to his cat in SITES.... well, untill it fights a snake!

in fact it's Jackie's characters is treated badly at first till he learns Kung Fu.

JC is very kind to animals in the movies he's in. He saves a dog in Who Am I (or was that the right movie?).

Dragonherb, I am so happy that you created this thread. I do enjoy many aspects of kung fu movies (most of all good choreographed fighting), but the lack of humane treatment towards animals is beyond despicable. I happen to be an animal advocate on many levels and find it incredibly disturbing that animals are treated so poorly while making a movie - completely unnecessary, imo.

Sure thing and I agree :tinysmile_angry2_t: Props to the movie-people who didn't feel the need to do that mess when they dealed with animals.

Archived