Zatoichi in a TUX...

Monk Sante

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kungfusamurai

He wasn't exactly a pop singer, more like those crooners you'd see on the Red & White Festival on New Years, if any of you guys are familiar with that Japanese broadcast.

He sang all of the songs on his Zatoichi TV shows, as far as I can recall, including the theme songs. I'm not sure if there was any singing for the theme songs to his films (the old ones, anyway), but he did occasionally sing and play a shamisen, a stringed guitar like instrument, as the Zatoichi character in the movies.

His brother Wakayama Tomisaburo, AKA Ogami Itto, also sang on a number of his films and TV shows (at least, the theme music).

By the way, the video is now gone. I watched it earlier in the week, but today, it's been removed from youtube.

Here's him singing in his later years

oz6lnbczFM0

And at 2:47 he sings and plays a guitar in this video. Check out the commercials before that. I laughed at the one at 1:52 where the bottle pours its liquid out and then drinks it back in again.

5phjOTPbT1c

KFS

I have an album of his on CD,he sings all the classics from his era both in english and japanese.

A true legend!

Archived