Any other white-haired villains besides these?

jalvarez82

NoKUNGFUforYU

White haired villains and masters have been around since the old Cantonese films. During the Bruce Lee era the focus was on "realistic fighting" and the old style was sort discarded too much mumbo jumbo, etc. After Bruce died it was really hard to emulate JKD (actually the Koreans came closer than the Chinese, because they had a background in sparring) and so the focus was on mostly shapes, and hence the return of the white haired villain. Shapes can be easy, as everything is hup hup hup- all kicks and punches have the same rhythm so a non fighter like Liang Jen Erh can look like an expert while basically starting out as a really good athlete. 

From 1961 Attack of the Five Fairies Monstarey

TheAttackoftheFiveFairiesMonastery+1961-17-b.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

During the Bruce Lee era the focus was on "realistic fighting" and the old style was sort discarded too much mumbo jumbo, etc. After Bruce died it was really hard to emulate JKD (actually the Koreans came closer than the Chinese, because they had a background in sparring) and so the focus was on mostly shapes, and hence the return of the white haired villain.

I don't think I agree with this affirmation. If one accepts Chang Cheh's "Shaolin Cycle" as the start of shapes-based choreography in the 1970s, then if you watch interviews with Lau Kar-Leung, Bruce Lee has nothing to do with it. Pops and Chang Cheh had been making wuxia films and bashers when LKL suggested that they start making films about Southern Chinese styles--of which he was obviously well trained. I get the feeling that LKL had always wanted to do this and found the right opportunity to take CC's films in that direction.

(Forgive the source, but check out the interview 40:10)

• Like 5

Super Ninja
3 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

White haired villains and masters have been around since the old Cantonese films. During the Bruce Lee era the focus was on "realistic fighting" and the old style was sort discarded too much mumbo jumbo, etc. After Bruce died it was really hard to emulate JKD (actually the Koreans came closer than the Chinese, because they had a background in sparring) and so the focus was on mostly shapes, and hence the return of the white haired villain. Shapes can be easy, as everything is hup hup hup- all kicks and punches have the same rhythm so a non fighter like Liang Jen Erh can look like an expert while basically starting out as a really good athlete. 

From 1961 Attack of the Five Fairies Monstarey

TheAttackoftheFiveFairiesMonastery+1961-17-b.jpg

I've read somewhere that their hair is white on account of the famous devil Bak Mei who himself was white haird. Also, white is the color of death in China?

• Like 5

Chia Kai as Mu Fa-Shan in Dance of Death (1979)

DanceofDeath+1976-27-b.jpg

Chang Shan as General Chu Chin-Kong in Seven Steps of Kung Fu (1979):
SevenStepsofKungFu+1979-62-b.jpg

Peng Kang as Peng Fei in The Leg Fighters (1980):
TheInvincibleKungFuLegs+1980-20-b.jpg

• Like 3

From what I remember, he wasn't really a villain, but Tien Feng has opulent white hair in Filial son and, if I'm not mistaken, in The ghost of night crow.

• Like 5

On 3/10/2023 at 3:37 PM, DrNgor said:

I don't think I agree with this affirmation. If one accepts Chang Cheh's "Shaolin Cycle" as the start of shapes-based choreography in the 1970s, then if you watch interviews with Lau Kar-Leung, Bruce Lee has nothing to do with it. Pops and Chang Cheh had been making wuxia films and bashers when LKL suggested that they start making films about Southern Chinese styles--of which he was obviously well trained. I get the feeling that LKL had always wanted to do this and found the right opportunity to take CC's films in that direction.

(Forgive the source, but check out the interview 40:10)

what about kwan tak hing wong fei hung shapes? pops's pops played in them and lau Kar leung got his start as a stuntman/extra 

Edited by monk
  • Like 2

danthemandmv

Technically karate rather than kung fu , but there's Masashi Ishibashi's villainous fighter from '' DRAGON PRINCESS '' -

Ishibashi White Haired Villain.png

• Like 2