Blood & Bones

June

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
froffeecoffee

I read a review that gave it a lot of positive reaction. Since it's a direct-to-dvd, I haven't heard much promotion for it. My question is why isn't Michael Jai White a bigger star!?! I'd really like to see this one.

I saw a trailer for it when I watched the DVD of Art of War III: Retribution. Looks very good. I'm glad that Michael Jai White isn't exactly typecast. I'm a big fan of his regardless of the genre, but this looks like the film where he gets to really showcase his martial arts skills and if I remember right, the fight choreographer was J.J. Perry, who was responsible for the fights in Undisputed II: Last Man Standing.

I'm with you there June....Art of War 3 was horrible....it's as if Neil Shaw ended up going urban on everyone.

Anyway, big Michael Jai White fan. I still have his interview from Inside Karate Magazine in 1997 where he discussed his childhood and martial arts training while promoting Spawn.

I watched this film last night with a mixed audience, some who don't enhoy martial arts films and some who do. This film impressed everyone who watched it and I can easily say it got a more posotive reaction than Ong Bak did the first time round.

I won't write much about the plot as it is slightly better than I thought it was going to be when I first started watching but the film really really goes all out in the action scenes. Michael Jai White plays Bone, an arm breaking, jaw kicking machine that has recently been in prison and is now back in the outside world. Bone ends up fighting in an underground fight club in attempt to reach James, a sadistic kingpin who avoids profanity and tries to live by a samurai code. There is a bit more to the plot, but like I said, I don't want to spoil it.

babmontage01.jpg

Another thing that stood out about this film is Eamonn Walker who plays James. I didn't think a whole lot of him at first, but given its 90 minute running time, this film actually gives his character a chance to develop and I have to say, by the end of the film I was under the impression that action aside, he was the actor that was carrying this movie. You'll know when you see it.

But most importantly, the fight scenes. This is one of those martial arts movies where the fight scenes grow and develop as the movie progresses. First few fight scenes are obviously Bone dishing out punishment like some kind of kung fu tank but as the film ticks along, we are shown everything from flying knees, roundhouse combos all the way to MMA groundwork. The fight scene towards the end of the film against Pretty Boy is literally the most watchable and absorbing fight scene that I have seen in a film for a very, very long time. But like I said, it is very varied and there is a lot thrown in to the mix. Also, you'll all be pleased to know that it has more than its fair share of "OMG rewind that!" moments. Brutal to say the least.

babmontage02.jpg

Blood and Bone is not without its weak points though, although they are minimal compared to the scale of the action. The plot is fine, although it is acted by a collection of D grade TV actors and sometimes this really really shows. This is probably the only thing that stops it from shaking off that TV movie feel as the film is superbly shot and I'm going to say it again, the action scenes are phenomenal.

One more annoyance is Dante Brasco who play pinball, Bone's sidekick/ally for most of the movie. He is one annoying character. Just imagine loads of gangster profanity in a high pitched voice. "Give me ma muthafuckin' money muthafuckas!"

But those are minimal problems. The film is well shot, has an excellent main bad guy in Eamonn Walker. Also we get a few familiar faces in Bob Sapp and Kimbo Slice. The plot ticks along nicley and the fight scenes look like they are shot and choreographed by a Hong Kong film crew and not by an american one.

This film comes highly recommended from me and I imagine you'll get a similar level of enjoyment to a film like Ong Bak, the first time you watched it. Screw it, I'll be honest, I enjoyed this film a lot more than Ong Bak.

RATING 7/10

I was really impressed by the fight scenes Jai Whites kicking was awesome and his ground game look good.

Would love to see him in a big budget film,thats for sure.

Yeah, well Sony have got BIG time behind Black Dynamite and I think its getting a good cinema run. Lets hope thats the proper launch pad he deserves.

Almost anything with White is great but didn't anyone get annoyed with all the random people spittin out n-words and basically any other cuss word for no reason. It worked in Undisputed because the actors were all pretty good and it fit the environment. Here it just seems forced. Im watching it right now and it's pretty enjoyable besides that. The action is quite intense. I wish White wasn't so underrated.

Michael Jai White is incredible. "Blood and Bone" is, sadly, rather shit. White oozes with badass-ery throughout but with the ridiculous racial stereotypes, terrible script and too few fights, I didn't really like it at all.

Morgoth Bauglir
did anyone see the cameo of bob wall? he played ohara again. great cameo !!!

Now I have a reason to watch it again. I didn't see Bob Wall. I heard Gene Lebell also has a cameo. I think the story, directing, dialogue and character development isn’t as good as Undisputed 2, but I enjoyed the movie a lot. Also the grappling/jujitsu isn't quite as fluid as U2, but the non grappling fights are awesome. Some amazing kick combos by Jai White. Also funny cameo from Maurice SMith at the start. He fights the guy wearing curlers.

I rented Blood & Bone this week & was pretty impressed with the fight scenes, really appreciate the fact that they used genuinely skilled martial artists (not pop stars, like in Hong Kong nowadays) so they didn't need to use wires, undercranking, doubles, &/or over-editing. I consider it one of the best martial arts movies produced in Hollywood in a long time (the last one that comes to mindthat I liked as much or more would be Drive, with Mark Dacascos, though it was a different kind of movie).

Michael Jai White's really impressive as a screen martial artist, easily one of the top guys out there right now, I'd like to him replace Wesley Snipes as Blade.

I saw it this morning and this is one of the best of the bunch today. Michael Jai White really got to show off his performance in both the acting and martial arts. I've seen those multiple kicks where 3 guys are taken out but there was that awesome triple or dare I say it "quadruple"?! kick sequence where he took out 4 thugs at once. Plus he did a nice reverse version of the Tony Jaa double spin from low to high kick against Matt Mullins. For those who have not seen it, wait about an hour into the film and in comes the twist of the film which just made me go nuts.

Highly recommend this film.

• Administrator

A very entertaining film with terrific fight scenes! I've been impatiently waiting to see the extremely skilled MJW in a full-on MA film, and I finally got what I wanted. I thought it had a few B-movie conventions, but it aspired to be more than the usual US MA film nonsense, and had some cool stuff in it. MJW is not only charasmatic and a super skilled fighter, but a very good actor. And I liked the more realistic approach to the MA battles without any guys taking dozens of kicks to the head without being affected, as we've seen in most MA films.

When it was over, I rewatched most of the fights again immediately. This is a great litle flick, sure to get us all primed for the upcoming BLACK DYNAMITE!

Did anyone see the featurette on the DVD, in which MJW explains why he waited until now to finally do a lead role in a martial arts film. This just made the anticipation more intriguing because everyone saw him as a martial artist in a few films AND an actor in others. Way to go MJW for meshing the two with something that should have been in theaters instead of Fighting.

I think I'll have to rent this sucker because it is just too damn expensive to buy. If it was available at that price as a Blu-Ray maybe I could see myself paying $20 but not for a DVD.

Archived