Big Stan (2007)

AlbertV

Hey guys,

I took a gamble and rented this Rob Schneider-directed action comedy from Redbox (at $1.00 why not). Yes, there was the typical Schneider not-so-funny humor but its redeeming factor comes in that Schneider, who played the titular character, an embezzler who goes to prison and becomes the "top dog" as you will, really handled the film's martial arts fight scenes very well.

This is the film that Schneider was hospitalized from heat exhaustion. He suffered it while shooting one of the film's big martial arts fight scenes, which pitted him against the likes of Bob Sapp, Erik Betts, and Mark "Afro Ninja" Hicks to name a few.

The fight scenes mainly comprised of three martial arts: Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do, Kali-Silat, and Muay Thai. Schneider trained under Danny Inosanto, Nino Pilla, Ray Copeland, and Jeff Imada for the film and he even has a pretty nice brief fight against Simon Rhee.

So yeah, it is understandable why the film ultimately went to DVD, but I got my buck's worth in terms of the martial arts fights, which surprisingly, was not much of a cut and hack job...you actually got to see some techniques there.

Plus, I have to admit, part of the reason I saw it was the late David Carradine, who definitely hammed it up as Stan's mentor, known only as "The Master".

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally agree...I was just stunned at how Rob handled the fight scenes. He definitely took his training seriously and it showed....loved his use of Kali in the film. The fights I felt were the best thing overall about the movie...I got used to the goofy antics so I expected that, but the way he handled himself in the action department...was not expecting that at all.

Yeah I agree with the training/fight scenes. Im a kali practitioner myself and I have to say Rob did hold his own in this film.

Mark Pollard

I wonder if Rob started picking up some training after working with Van Damme in KNOCK OFF, or at least got the interest to do his own action. I'll have to rent this sometime.

When you see it, it looks as if he had begun after doing Knock Off. That's how good he looked in the film, as if he had been training for a long time.

butcher wing

i am going to check this just for his on screen fighting, but I won't expect much else at least he reps a style from his heritage, and i don't really see much Kali even though its a great art.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Mmm... I just watched a clip on youtube and seriously, you need to revisit your kung fu movie collection... You're in for a big surprise. Come on, he can hardly lift his leg!

Archived