Yokai Monsters '60's series...

KyFi

So, after reading some reviews, I bought the second one in the series, Spook Warfare. I thought it was worth seeing. Kind of strange, in that the design of a lot of the monsters make it seem more like a children's movie, yet the tone, atmosphere and violence seems geared towards a bit of an older audience. It was almost like an odd mix of a Zatoichi movie, a Hammer film, and children's fantasy. I wasn't blown away by it, and didn't think it was as well-done as the Daimajin fims, but I may pick up the others in the series. Any other opinions on these?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you liked Spook Warfare, the other two are worth checking out too. The first movie, Yokai Monsters: 100 Monsters, is considered superior. If you like these you should take a look at The Great Yokai War and Sakuya - The Slayer of Demons.

• Administrator

I agree with tdb.

Miike's recent GREAT YOKAI WARS has the technology to make the creatures look a lot cooler too.

They've got a complete collection of all three of the Yokai Monsters films, for about 10 bucks used at Amazon. I've been wanting to pick it up, and I just grabbed the Great Yokai War a couple of weeks ago.

I don't see that Sakuya - The Slayer of Demons is available in the U.S.

BTW, would these be considered "Kaiju"?

I haven't seen it, but there is at least one more recent (2007) yokai centric movie, Gegege no Kitarô.

As for being kaiju...yes, but not giant monster (daikaiju). I think most of the time these are refered to as Yokai movies, as opposed to kaiju movies. Think about it like this, ghost movies are monster movies, but are typically called ghost movies.

As big a fan I am of Godzilla and old monster movies all together I'd probably like these. I never got the chance to check any out, what's it about?

• Administrator

They've got kind of typical chanbara stories, except they also involve the various creatures of Japanese folklore like the kappa and umbrella man. There's a slight Sid & Marty Kroft goe Japanese horror to them. :nerd:

Archived