Stoner up for pre-order at DDDhouse...

KyFi

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

'Stoner' was one of the three movies that George Lazenby was contracted to star in by production company Golden Harvest, the other 2 being the 'Man From Hong Kong' & 'A Queen's Ransom'....both alongside Jimmy Wang Yu.

I believe it was originally going to star Bruce Lee, who wanted Lazenby because he'd played the part of James Bond, and it would be a good selling point for international audiences...but Lee died a couple of weeks prior to filming.

It's an ok movie...anything that has Angela Mao Ying & Wang In Sik facing off against each other, not for revenge purposes but to stop the production of a pill that makes people have an orgasm, has got to be worth at least one viewing...but don't expect anything too special.

It definitely fits into the basher category, with Lazenby throwing his arms all over the show as the review you posted the link to mentions, but Anglea Mao Ying is always a joy to watch, and 'Stoner' is no exception...just don't go in expecting 'Hapkido' or 'Broken Oath'!

Now, what about The Tournament and Queen's Ransom???

'The Tournament' has a release in Germany (available at Amazon). Will be superior to Joy Sales release (no blended frames, re-translated subtitles, original English dub).

Muldoon at Asian DVD Guide posted about 'Stoner's versions.

Guest WuxiaFan

:angel:Watched STONER over the weekend and it was OK. This is definately a George Lazenby movie with Angela Mao more of in a supporting role. A full hour clicked by before we see any action from Angela Mao. But, once she does kick in (no pun intended :wink:), she is just awesome. For some stupid reason, she ends up wearing this god awful hat through all of her fight scenes. GH could have had Angela in a lot more action in the first hour, but for whatever reason, that didn't happen which is a disappointment for Mao fans.:neutral:

The storyline is OK in terms of cops going undercover to break up a drug trafficing, but the whole "happy pill" angle was just lame. Mao and Lazenby never really connected on screen as it was billed. The definite highlight are Angela's fight scenes ESPECIALLY with Wang In Sik. That fight clocked in at 6 full mins and was just awesome! Another highlight was seeing a young Sammu Hung kick Lazenby around.:smile:

The DVD:

This is another Joy Sales/Fortune Star release under their Legendary Collection. The transfer is near flawless and the English subs are actually well written and easy to read. I thought the Mandarin mono track sounded fine. One thing I like about these Legendary Collection DVDs by JS/FS is that they include the original '70s opening credit sequences with the original name of the movie, the song, the graphics, etc. I think they're just awesome and classic! Overall, recommend this DVD for Angela Mao fans. She's just absolutely gorgeous in this movie.:angel:

Yep, I had a very similar reaction. I hadn't seen it before---I'm pretty much seeing all these early 70's GH movies for the first time as Fortune Star is releasing them on DVD.

I liked it, but it wasn't top notch, IMO. The fight scenes with Angela Mao were, as mentioned, completely awesome. And actually, I thought ol' George looked pretty decent in his fight scenes. It didn't look like kung fu, but he at least seems a lot more naturally athletic than Jimmy Wang Yu. But there wasn't enough great kung fu throughout to really make it a great martial arts movie, and the hipster 70's, bell-bottom-polyester suits-and-sideburns-wacka-wacka-guitar stuff wasn't really over the top enough to make it one of those "so bad it's good" type movies, IMO.

A decently fun movie, though, and a nice looking anamorphic print---can't go wrong for under $6.

Yep, I had a very similar reaction. I hadn't seen it before---I'm pretty much seeing all these early 70's GH movies for the first time as Fortune Star is releasing them on DVD.

I liked it... The fight scenes with Angela Mao were, as mentioned, completely awesome... IMO... A decently fun movie, though, and a nice looking anamorphic print---can't go wrong for under $6.

Above comment +1...

:yociexpress01:

kungfusamurai

This bit of trivia is for fans of 70s soul music. The main black guy in this flick is played by Samuel Peake. He would later be the lead sax player on many music productions in the late 70s in Philadelphia. Some of you might have heard Evelyn Champagne King's 'Shame' from 1977. That's Sam Peake on lead sax.

KFS

This bit of trivia is for fans of 70s soul music. The main black guy in this flick is played by Samuel Peake. He would later be the lead sax player on many music productions in the late 70s in Philadelphia. Some of you might have heard Evelyn Champagne King's 'Shame' from 1977. That's Sam Peake on lead sax.

KFS

Now that's some well-researched info! :bigsmile:

I love that song to this day! Featured in the opening credits of Keenen-Ivory Wayans' Low Down Dirty Shame.

kungfusamurai
Now that's some well-researched info! :bigsmile:

I love that song to this day! Featured in the opening credits of Keenen-Ivory Wayans' Low Down Dirty Shame.

Yep, I was surprised when I found that out, since I enjoy his tenor sax playing on many tunes. I'll have to dig out the movie again to get good look. I think he was the one who mesmerized all those naked women in that weird chamber.

KFS

Archived