Fight for Shaolin Tamo Mystique

Guest Lei Kung

Guest Lei Kung

I stumbled across this at a rental place the other day, titled "Lady Wu Tang". It was VHS, fullscreen dubbed, but the picture and sound were still there. Polly Shang Kwan starred as a Shaolin reject who learned kung fu from an old, crippled renegade monk, as Shaolin was males only. The volumes of the Tamo Mystique (a secret form of kung fu that involves extendable limbs and a variety of other magic techniques) had been stolen, and under commission of the abbott, the pair go on a quest for the books. Polly's character started growing a mustache and 'turning into a male' (a result of the kung fu she learned). Her master explained that only Negative Kung Fu could return one to his or her true form. Unfortunately he'd forgotten it, so he feigns dead in order to be taken into the temple and painted gold to relearn the technique. Magic, kung fu and bizarre characters abound as the girl continues her quest for the books, culminating in a wild invasion of the temple by several clan leaders. Overall, it was a pretty good movie. The plot was crazy enough to keep me interested. I haven't seen many Polly Kwan movies, but will definitely see what I can find. She was pretty awesome in this one, all dressed up like a superhero. The fights were nothing special, but still... I'd like to get a copy of this, but can't find much info on it or any place selling it. Anyone else know about this movie?

The "Lady Wu Tang" version is missing the opening sequence, where the book is stolen and divided by the villains. A more complete English version was on VHS as "Fight for Survival".

Guest Robert Ian Teller

Elsa Yeung played one of the villains and doesn't talk much. I noticed she was also in Bruce Kung Fu Girls (also starring Polly) as one of the heroines and as such doesn't talk much.

Guest Lei Kung

Thanks for the info Bruce. I've searched far and wide (from the comfort of my chair here) and cannot find this for sale anywhere, any version. Looks like I'll be making a deal with the video rental guy.

Guest the dirty tiger

I have the Lady Wu Tang tape spare, maybe the CBS tape too, will have to have a look if you are interested :D

EDIT : By the way, the original title is Fight For Shaolin Tamo Systique

venomsfreak
Wow, I have been looking for this movie on DVD for YEARS! I still have the Wu-Tang Collection VHS but its worn out and not watchable anymore.

This is an old thread so has anyone found it on DVD yet? Possibly butchered by Videoasia, and put on one of their multi-sets???

If Im not mistaken, doesn't Don Wong Tao make an appearance in this as well? I think as one of the Animal form fighters Polly fights in the temple?

Yes Don Wong Tao is in this. I'm not sure if it's ever been released on DVD in it's entirety, I got a copy on dvdr, but that might be from a VHS source also.

This will get a 35mm screening nearby in October under the moniker Kung Fu Halloween. Any more opinions on this film? Any idea about the completeness of this film under that particular version? The title pegs it as a Shaolin Kung–Fu Mystagogue clone, but I'm curious.

Morgoth Bauglir

I have it as Fight for Survival in the Shaolin against Wutang 10-pack. I also have the Lady Wutang VHS. Go into it with low expectations. It was ok. There is some fun weird stuff, but it felt like the movie never really got started until the end.

I'll have to watch it again some time. After reading this thread it appears that the Fight for Survival version is more complete. I've only watched it under Lady Wutang.

I just watched the start of it and Fight For Survival does have that opening scene where the book is stolen and split up.

odioustrident

I am not sure how the Kung Fu Halloween release became associated Fight for Shaolin Tamo Mystique. I think I actually contributed to this misinformation years ago after hearing it from other people.  Kung Fu Halloween is actually a repackaging of Fist of Dragon (1977), which featured some fighters in cheap masks and at least one gore moment. The KFH trailer is almost identical to the Chinese trailer below besides the addition of English text and shifting the "horror" scene at 2:56 min to the front of the trailer.

• Like 2